Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Mike, the CDC link does not say that is it impossible to have the flu w/o a fever but that is not the same as saying that flu often doesn’t have fever. The CDC says that a high fever is “usual” with the flu. You can have the flu without having a fever, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Ask your doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 09:38 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Well, I am just getting over the flu. I had a 102 degree fever for two days, with chills -- even with the house up to 74 and under the blankets. Couldn't concentrate enough to watch TV those two days. Neighbors were leaving chicken soup and juice outside the door.

It's now the 9th day -- I have been going out since day 6 but am getting tired quickly. Still sleeping in the afternoons. Now have a cough, but no more sneezing. Still can't taste a thing.

And yes, I had the flu shot, and am just imagining how much worse it could have been without it.
Just one reason why I never get flu shots.

I've had the flu a few times, some worse than others, and some lingered, but probably not as bad or long as yours sounds.

But this year's flu is frightening, the first signs of it and I'm getting myself checked.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:49 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Just one reason why I never get flu shots.
That doesn't really make sense to me but different strokes for different folks I guess. There are I feel like more positive reasons to get a flu shot than to not get one.

If anything it helps cut down on the spread of the flu. You can still be a carrier and not get sick, but cause someone around you to become ill.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:18 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
I think I’m on my second cold this year.. started with a sore throat and coughing sneezing for 2 days mild fever of 101 for a few hours last night. I have an appetite and can move around but the congestion giving me kind of headache around my sinus

I have a six month old so once my wife heard a fever she has lost it and telling me I might have to leave lol. But I dunno the flu hits you like a truck right??

Old 01-24-2018, 03:40 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Huh?
You said:

From your posted CDC link:

"Fever* or feeling feverish/chills"

"* It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever."

So it is not true that the flu often arrives without fever?
I would disagree, based on the Centers for Disease Control, among other sources.
Right. I had everything but the fever and definitely was hit like a ton of bricks. First time in years have had that - flu. But still glad I got the flu shot last year as it didn't last as long.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:07 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Mike, the CDC link does not say that is it impossible to have the flu w/o a fever but that is not the same as saying that flu often doesn’t have fever. The CDC says that a high fever is “usual” with the flu. You can have the flu without having a fever, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Ask your doctor.
I read well and noted your clear inconsistency already. My doctor has other things to do than to confirm my reading comprehension, such as diagnosing flu in patients presenting without fever.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
What needs to come from the deceased is autopsy results to find the actual cause of death.

Perhaps some victims have an undiagnosed issue that comes to life under the stress of the flu. Sort of like the athlete that passes the routine physical exam, goes on the field, and drops dead.

This may help doctors to determine how to evaluate and treat patients who may have flu.

I still remember getting the Hong Kong Flu in the '60's. Two weeks of misery in bed but, to the unhappiness of many, I survived without any damage.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:16 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
For what it's worth, the predominant flu in NC is a variant of H3N2. This is worst-case. As CDC says (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...#effectiveness), H3N2 is difficult to protect against.

In July 2017 I was in Chile on business, and I caught H3N2 there (was winter there at the time). By far it was the ugliest flu I have ever had. And it was quite contagious too.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:08 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,588 times
My husband and I both got the flu. We had flu shots in September before he was laid off. He came home from his first day at a potential new job burning up. He didn't hesitate going to the doctor and was put on Tamiflu. Two days later, I was sick. I called the doctor, and they called in Tamiflu for me too. I credit that for my relatively mild case compared to Hubby. He's still battling fatigue and a nagging cough. I feel fortunate that it waited until we had health insurance!

Old 01-28-2018, 09:40 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
My uncle had the flu which turned into pneumonia. He was hospitalized for over two weeks and put into a medically induced coma. He also had other health issues, edema, and he needed dialysis.

He passed away on Tuesday. I do not know if he had the flu shot or not. Our family is devastated. He was in his early to mid-sixties. At Christmas he was his usual self, two plus weeks later and he's gone. It just breaks our hearts.

I am very concerned about our family getting the flu. My older daughter was sick a couple of weeks ago with a fever, chills, and a sore throat, but she recovered in two and a half days so I don't think it was the flu. I quarantined her downstairs just in case and then lysol'd the downstairs and washed everything when she was better, and none of the rest of of got sick.

I keep telling the kids and my husband to wash their hands a lot! We're lucky that we live in a very rural area, so there's less people running around to possibly infect us. All I know is if one of us comes home sick I'm going to be freaking out and watching every single symptom very carefully. I'm not messing around this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary