Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:44 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a group of gardeners last night about fences to thwart deer. One of them brought up an idea I hadn't heard of before - having a double fence.

She said the fences can be only four feet tall, but they must be no more than 3-4 feet apart. She said this is because deer tend not to jump since the small area in between wouldn't allow for them to land inside and then jump the second fence.

After seeing deer in action, I'd think even a 4 foot length between two fences would be a piece of cake, especially if the fences are only 4 feet high but some of what I've read online points to it being more of a confusing/dangerous decision for the deer rather than something they can't do. So if they're not starving, they'd most likely pass it by and go for easy pickins instead.

Here's a website I found with more info and photos: Keeping Deer out of the Garden : Arcadia Farms

Has anyone seen this, done this, have an opinion on this?

I'm jumping the gun but considering the scale of what I'll want to do once I have my own backyard, I'd like to start thinking about how I'll do it. Of course all of this would be moot if I'm subject to an HOA that wouldn't allow it, but I'm curious if others have done it successfully in this area.

I could also use that 3 to 4 foot gap as a dog run to keep pee and poop contained so there's easier cleanup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 08:13 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
It works. I saw this once out in the New Hope area outside Chapel Hill. I don't remember the exact specifics, but it was roughly two 5 ft. fences placed 4 or 5 ft apart. The guy swore it worked and he had tried everything. Do a little research just to make sure

Old 03-04-2018, 10:02 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I'd start with a regular 6 foot fence and then if that doesn't work add a smaller fence. The 6 foot fence has worked fine in our back yard. There were 11 deer in our front yard yesterday and there regularly are. They have eaten my azaleas down to nubs in the front yard and will pull my hyacinths up and eat my iris leaves, but they never try to go in the backyard and eat the hyacinth or azaleas there.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
I've watched deer clear a 6' fence as though it wasn't even there. There is an old farmer up by me that uses monofilament line strung at multiple height with rags tied on them. Seems to work.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:39 AM

Deer are very much creatures of habit. If something is easy for them they will do it. If you put a fence in an area they used to go all the time they might jump that if it's easy, but if it's not an area they used to go and you make it a little bit hard for them by putting the fence there they probably won't bother it. So I think you'll be good if you start off fencing before you start planting things they like.

My neighborhood herd of 11 used to come up on my front porch and nose open the metal garbage can I use to store bird seed and eat it, but since I switched to a locking can they gave up immediately. They still eat out of my birdfeeders, but don't try with the can anymore at all.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'd start with a regular 6 foot fence and then if that doesn't work add a smaller fence. The 6 foot fence has worked fine in our back yard. There were 11 deer in our front yard yesterday and there regularly are. They have eaten my azaleas down to nubs in the front yard and will pull my hyacinths up and eat my iris leaves, but they never try to go in the backyard and eat the hyacinth or azaleas there.
My cousin put up 6 ft. fence for that reason and the deer can go over backward.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:40 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Deer regularly jump our 6 ft fence too. Never heard of a double fence but I’m sure our his wouldn’t allow it anyways. You can put fencing over your plants to protect them which works but isn’t the most beautiful solution.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Maybe my neighborhood herd isn't ambitious, but in 20 years of living here they have never tried to go in the backyard.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe my neighborhood herd isn't ambitious, but in 20 years of living here they have never tried to go in the backyard.
They would if you had something back there they wanted bad enough.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:19 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
It works. I saw this once out in the New Hope area outside Chapel Hill. I don't remember the exact specifics, but it was roughly two 5 ft. fences placed 4 or 5 ft apart. The guy swore it worked and he had tried everything. Do a little research just to make sure
That sounds promising, thanks. I also read that installing a fence at a 45 degree angle facing outward is the best way, but that's going to look unsightly and I doubt I'd be allowed to if we have an HOA.

Quote:
Is your fence solid or can you see through it?

For aesthetics and air exchange, I'd like to have picket rather than solid. I don't know which is more expensive though because I intend to have as large a backyard as I can get. I want to get the logistics right from the start and build a nice garden over time.

Maybe I'll see if my neighbors would mind me planting things deer love to eat in their fence-free yards to keep them away from mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary