Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 04:29 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times

Advertisements

Alright - Bon Appetit nominated this place in Durham called Sister Liu's today for best new restaurants. Apparently they have really good dumplings and the reviews on Yelp/Google are really good! Anybody been? It's next to Namu which is one of my personal favorites but I didn't know this place existed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Sounds cool. Might have to check it out. Thanks for posting.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
Sister Liu's is great, I wish it were around when I still ate beef. They have noodle dishes too. I'm not vegan, but got the spicy vegan sandwich and it was delicious, plus some frozen dumplings to go.

Parking is a bit tough in the evenings but doable. I ran over there the other day when I heard about Bon Appetit, wanted to avoid the increasing crowds! Very small place with picnic tables outside and a bit of a wait but it's not too bad. Tiny little family takeout place and definitely a gem.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,184,101 times
I’ve heard it’s really good, but I would love to find a place that sells good, authentic Hong-Kong style Cantonese food. I’m not as big of fan of mainland Chinese style food.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
I can't say there's a single authentic Chinese place within the City of Raleigh proper. It's really hard since Chinese cuisine has 5 classic culinary zones with as many as 100 styles of cooking and thousands of regional dishes.

I would add Good Harvest in Cary, NC to the list of close to 'authentic' Chinese Hot Pot. Is there any other Hot Pot places in the Triangle?
That's a good point. It's an enormous country. A cheeseburger and Blackened redfish and Clam Bake and a steak (or Philly Cheesesteak) or Soul Food are all American food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
We LOVE Ni Asian on Strickland Road. We discovered it because I was searching for Malaysian food after we moved here. It's super clean and has a friendly staff. They do a phenomenal job with Malaysian dishes, very creditable with Thai, and not bad with mainstream Chinese American food. I find the portions sizes to be very generous (we always have leftovers,) and the prices quite reasonable. Best Vietnamese food we have found to date is at Pho Saigon on Capital Blvd. Pho Far East 's decent, and we're told that Pho 919 is good but have tried to dine there twice - but they were closed both times.
I've been eyeing that place. Wife is out of town this weeekend and Harbor Freight is calling my name.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I’ve heard it’s really good, but I would love to find a place that sells good, authentic Hong-Kong style Cantonese food. I’m not as big of fan of mainland Chinese style food.
Have you been to Banana Leaf in Cary yet? That's probably the closest to Cantonese food that you'll find around here. (If you're looking for dim sum, I recommend East Coast Asian Bistro over by RTP)

Old 09-11-2019, 08:01 AM

204 posts, read 383,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We recently discovered Szechuan Taste on Tryon Rd near Cary Pkwy. It was very good! They have an authentic Chinese food menu and an American menu in the back. It is casual, but not fast food casual. We are quite happy to have finally found something comparable to what was our favorite Chinese restaurant in CA. Our go-to here had been 35 Chinese until they sadly shut down years ago.
My favorite item on their menu is the "weird taste" chicken.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post

I would add Good Harvest in Cary, NC to the list of close to 'authentic' Chinese Hot Pot. Is there any other Hot Pot places in the Triangle?

So Hot on Davis and High House. I have not been there, and probably won't for reasons I'm not sure of, but that is their specialty. A little pricy, but I think it's AYCE.

Seems like "best" is a moving target in this Genre. Lately I've been happy with Nice Bowls. Less satisfied with Banana Leaf (but still good, just not as good the last couple times).

Schezuan Taste: Low health scores prevents me from taking Mrs Ghost there, she won't go. Personally, that is probably the "strange taste" secret ingredient, but I like to stick to places she'll enjoy.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:58 AM

204 posts, read 383,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Try their SLICED CHICKEN WITH SPICY CHILI OIL (COLD) on their app menu. It's not really spicy. So delicious! I ask them to sell me some of their chili oil when I go there so I can take it home and use it on noodles, dumplings, old shoes...
I read this post, and immediately went there for lunch (had to request the sliced chicken with Spicy Chili Oil) and I am really glad that I did. Killer dish. Earned a spot on the regular rotation!

Old 09-12-2019, 05:12 PM

853 posts, read 587,529 times
When rating "authentic Chinese food", what are we comparing it to? How many of us have been in China to know what real Chinese food tastes like so we have a basis for comparison? Not me. Is "authentic" real or just what tastes good to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary