Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 2,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Overpriced is relative to what the market will bear, and also to the condition of the house and seller expectations. We bought a few months ago, but had specific criteria in terms of general location, needed to have first floor master or at least first floor full bath and BR, and should have most updates already done. I was looking at what certain houses sold for a year or two ago, seeing the asking prices at 30% to 40% higher than the most recent sale price, and I was drawing the conclusion that they were overpriced. My wife pointed out that it's all about what the current market supports. What a house sold for six months, one year, or two years ago is irrelevant. The houses we were most interested in were all going under contract within the first few days they were on the market. That fact proved to me that she was correct.

Go to this link and enter the address number and the street name (do not enter words like "Street," "drive," "Lane," etc.)

Real Estate Search

That will bring up current owner info for the house. Across the menu bar you'll see a link that says "Sales." Click on that and you'll get about two pages of transactions that have occurred within X radius of that property. We paid $21,00 more for our house than any of the listed sales, to date, in our area. Houses don't pop up on the market often in this neighborhood, and when they do - they sell fast. This house had everything we wanted (and then some.) Three years ago the previous owners spent over $80,000 having an unfinished part of the second floor turned into a kick-a** master suite with huge custom walk-in closet, gigantic custom master bath, 400 sq ft bedroom, and also added a second HVAC unit to handle upstairs cooling. Two years ago they added a nicely built deck and a big screened porch on the rear. All those were needed upgrades and were properly built. We don't ever plan to move - will likely return and spend the rest of our lives here.

Here's the thing - it sold one year before we bought it, and at $345,000 it was the highest price ever for any property in that neighborhood. It was listed at $360,000, and we offered $364,000 the first day it went on the market (along with a combined total of $6,000 in due diligence and earnest money.) My wife cringed at offering more than the asking price, but we got the house in a competitive bidding situation, and now that we are living in it - we know it was a good purchase.

When first looking we wanted to come in at 10% to 20% below the ask ion some houses. The realtor said he would do it if we really wanted to, but advised that in his experience in this current market, even 5% below the ask is unlikely to be accepted. Again - it's a matter of how realistically priced the house is. If it needs a lot of updates, you can do this as you go along while you live there, and the seller has priced it unrealistically based on what other properties in that area sell for... then for it!

I lived in that neighborhood for 13 years! It was awesome - so interesting someone bought/sold in a years time. That doesn't happen there often unless it's work relocation. That neighborhood is a great example of finding semi-updated well built homes for under $400. Well located and great community feel. We were sad to leave but found another great spot just down the road with a bit more space. I nearly died a couple of years ago when the first house to sell over $250 happened. Couldn't believe the increase in prices there or fathom spending $300k + on buying a house to knock down for land but seems to be new normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 02:05 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Speaking of...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...50113644_zpid/

Old 08-08-2018, 02:20 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,996,153 times
I guess the OP was right. Price just dropped 15K. I wonder how close it will get to the Zestimate before it actually sells.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../6554280_zpid/

Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 PM

812 posts, read 833,037 times
Don't look now but prices are gettin crazy again across the country -crazy as in vastly outpacing real wages and wage gains to a point that makes it increasingly unaffordable to ave folks of ave means.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...-index/566768/

Old 08-08-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I guess the OP was right. Price just dropped 15K. I wonder how close it will get to the Zestimate before it actually sells.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../6554280_zpid/
I predicted earlier it would sell for high 500s. I still think it will.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,817,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Should have listed @ $599K. Better chance at selling at or above asking. A little yard work wouldn't have hurt either. This time of year you are chasing pricing and market activity downward.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,283,715 times
Quote:
I still think low to mid 5's.

If I win, I get two free infractions. If you win, I'll stay off City Data for 2 weeks to make your job easier.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Should have listed @ $599K. Better chance at selling at or above asking. A little yard work wouldn't have hurt either. This time of year you are chasing pricing and market activity downward.
I would not have listed it over 600k, no.

At 599k, would have looked like they would take that or a wee bit less, and the house would have sold faster.

Agree re: tidying the lawn.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I still think low to mid 5's.

If I win, I get two free infractions. If you win, I'll stay off City Data for 2 weeks to make your job easier.

LOL! You are no trouble at all.

I doubt low 5s. Mid 5s? Sure that's possible.

Has anything in the past year sold in PV for low 5s?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:45 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,283,715 times
Quote:
LOL! You are no trouble at all.

I doubt low 5s. Mid 5s? Sure that's possible.

Has anything in the past year sold in PV for low 5s?
I don't know but I feel like a 2800sf house is a unicorn in PV. Maybe that will help to grab a premium, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary