Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:00 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times

Advertisements

It was treacherous rolling out the trashcans this week. Very slippy the whole way around the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 07:48 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
It’s time to aerate and (over)seed. Perfect conditions and adequate rainfall forecast. Just sprayed for clover, and will cut everything short this weekend, put out new start fertilizer and aerate and then tamp in the tall fescue. Fighting the good fight in the yard. Ooh rah. ��

Old 02-05-2019, 09:05 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
My house sits right next to a golf course that is on higher ground. That hasn't always been a problem, but recently I wonder if we are getting more water draining than usual.

We seem to have more water between us and our neighbor than usual. We notice this because the underground control for the sprinkler system (cut off valve) was under water when we winterized the system in the fall. My partner has been out trying to dig a ditch to divert the water towards the street. He said that cut off valve was again under water. In our past experience that is usually dry. So we are getting more water than usual.

I thought perhaps we had a water leak but the water bill seems normal.

Is it worth hiring a company to improve the drainage, or is it just something we have to live with, here in NC?

Old 02-05-2019, 09:16 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
My house sits right next to a golf course that is on higher ground. That hasn't always been a problem, but recently I wonder if we are getting more water draining than usual.

We seem to have more water between us and our neighbor than usual. We notice this because the underground control for the sprinkler system (cut off valve) was under water when we winterized the system in the fall. My partner has been out trying to dig a ditch to divert the water towards the street. He said that cut off valve was again under water. In our past experience that is usually dry. So we are getting more water than usual.

I thought perhaps we had a water leak but the water bill seems normal.

Is it worth hiring a company to improve the drainage, or is it just something we have to live with, here in NC?
Raleigh had the most rainfall ever recorded in 2018, over 60 inches. Things are wetter than normal and it will take a while for it all to drain away. If its not causing you an immediate problem, I'd wait and see how things are once summer gets here before I spent any money.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Raleigh had the most rainfall ever recorded in 2018, over 60 inches. Things are wetter than normal and it will take a while for it all to drain away. If its not causing you an immediate problem, I'd wait and see how things are once summer gets here before I spent any money.
Agreed, I think what we're seeing now is worst case, so I'd give it a few years and see what you're dealing with most of the time.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:53 AM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Yup, "wetter than normal" is an understatement for 60 inches around here. We average about 40 so roughly 20 inches over normal for 2018! And when it wasn't raining, the kicker is, it was often overcast. Even our sacred Fall, with its usually reliable clear crisp cool Carolina Blue Sky days were "ruined" with rain-outs and/or cloud-outs. Many yards having moss issues. Even long established "problem-free-golf-course-type" yards with perfect soil, sun, and slope are having issues cuz of the 2018 rains.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:28 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
4th wettest record rainfall in Raleigh history. (1st for Greensboro and 6th for Fayettville.) Nothing about this is normal. Mushrooms and moss has taken over major areas in the yard. Going to be a busy spring. Heck just a few years ago the ground was cracking because it was so dry.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 PM

94 posts, read 57,365 times
Seemed like we used to have droughts every couple of years. Not sure which is worse.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:51 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
Now is the best time to check soil pH and determine if you need to add lime to remediate any imbalances in your lawn and/or garden. I’m checking mine this weekend. Early March is the best time to fertilize Fescue, paying attention to Nitrogen needs, and to overseed again if needed. Lawn should be “puffy” enough from freezing/thawing to not need aeration. My lawn had a lot of “pooling” due to excessive rains in the Fall, and the new growth came out uneven, so I’ll work to correct it this Spring. Looking forward to a lush green backyard for our annual Easter Egg Hunt for the kiddos...

And don’t get me started on the voles... I’d say “get off my lawn” if they weren’t already under it. Everyone needs a nemesis.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Early March is the best time to fertilize Fescue, paying attention to Nitrogen needs, and to overseed again if needed.

I have always used Valentine's Day, Labor Day and Thanksgiving as the dates to fertilize fescue. If you seed in the spring, you will need to make sure to keep it well watered through out the summer. Lots of good info here -https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/carolina-lawns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary