Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:43 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

Is it typical after 8 inches of rain for my yard to be a mud pit? Serious question - I know I have some minor drainage issues, but it's bad out there. Typical for clay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 03:56 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is it typical after 8 inches of rain for my yard to be a mud pit? Serious question - I know I have some minor drainage issues, but it's bad out there. Typical for clay?
Yes. The ground has soaked up All it can. Going to be a few days for it to dry out.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:58 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Hell, mine in Maryland gets boggy with an inch of rain.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:01 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
My backyard is a swamp after every heavy rainfall. Eventually it'll ease it's way into the ground.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:02 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
yeah I have a spot in my side yard that feels like it's boggy almost all the time. The rest of my yard is sloped-to-downhill so I guess it all runs down.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
c'mon guys.
think of the mosquitoes.
they are living creatures and need a place to raise their children.

yeah, right.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:48 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
The biggest issue with this is if you have a slope that runs downhill towards your foundation you do want to divert water from running into it as much as possible. This can be accomplished by building a swale or French drain so that water is going around the house instead of running into the foundation. It's best to have land that slopes down away from your foundation rather than having the land slope down towards it.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/lands...them/view-all/

Old 09-17-2018, 06:12 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The biggest issue with this is if you have a slope that runs downhill towards your foundation you do want to divert water from running into it as much as possible. This can be accomplished by building a swale or French drain so that water is going around the house instead of running into the foundation. It's best to have land that slopes down away from your foundation rather than having the land slope down towards it.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/lands...them/view-all/
I do have exactly this - my backyard slopes toward the house. I don't have a french drain, but I have raised beds in front of the foundation that help to keep the water away. I also had waterproofing done on that foundation wall.

I have however thought about putting some sort of drain in that low spot and tie'ing it into the underground downspout pipes. I don't know if it's even worth the work - I can't keep grass back there anyway.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I do have exactly this - my backyard slopes toward the house. I don't have a french drain, but I have raised beds in front of the foundation that help to keep the water away. I also had waterproofing done on that foundation wall.

I have however thought about putting some sort of drain in that low spot and tie'ing it into the underground downspout pipes. I don't know if it's even worth the work - I can't keep grass back there anyway.
It sounds like you're on the right track. Here is also a list of plants that thrive in wet environments, essentially creating a "rain garden" to help filter the runoff, so they might be worth thinking about:

https://pitt.ces.ncsu.edu/2013/07/la...for-wet-sites/

Old 09-17-2018, 07:18 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Today, my crawlspace dehumidifier has been running nonstop - and it's a powerful commercial crawlspace-rated one at that! Usually during summer months, it runs for 10 min and then stops. I went down there to make sure it was still working and the drain pipe is removing water well.

Before you say anything, I have all gutters diverted away from the house over 10 ft, vents are sealed, good moisture barrier and there is no standing water or leaks into the crawlspace.

With all that ground soaking so many feet down and humid air, even my commercial dehumidifier has trouble!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary