Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Mass exodus from Triangle area, rapid growth and over expansion in Triangle North Carolina, drought ending in North Carolina, short water supply

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:12 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times

Advertisements

I was thinking back over the past year about the many posts in various threads claiming that the drought was largely the result of rapid over-expansion in the Triangle. Now, as lake levels are close to normal and more rain is forecast in the next few days I'm curious to survey the City-Data landscape and find out what the consensus opinion is regarding the water supply.

For those who have stated herein that the water levels in the lakes have more to do with the population than precipitation how do you see things now? Do you still see a direct correlation? I put this out to the forum only because my wife had joked last night while watching the news that the Raleigh population must have plummeted recently in order to explain the rising water levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 AM

574 posts, read 1,209,064 times
When we hit July/August and the rain stops again they'll be back to blaming the population. Seems to me every year for the past decade, the summer is dry and we hear we're in a drought, then the next spring it rains for 2 months and we're over it. Could it just happen to be the weather pattern here? Nah, that doesn't make good news. The sky must be falling after all.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
Newsflash...the drought isn't over. There's a decent chance that the recent and predicted rain will bring Falls lake back to full pool, and get base streamflows back to 25% of normal, but unless we get another 4 or 5 weeks like the last one over the next two months, Falls lake will start plummeting like it did last year come may. Especially if Raleigh goes back to using 80 million gallons a day.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Obviously this is preposterous; just because the lake is almost full does not mean the drought is nearing its end. In fact, the lake levels aren't only directly relative to the rain or the population, but to both of those factors PLUS water management.

The lake may be full now, but what if it doesn't rain again until a little drizzle in June? On the flip side, we could get rain in buckets if a tropical system comes through in August. However, regardless of what happens with the rain, if people are allowed to water their lawns with reckless abandon and otherwise squander drinking water, some definitely will since they think it is their right to do so (oh yes, and the endless pursuit of the perfect lawn).

Yes, the water shortage (notice I did not say drought) does have someting to do with population increases. The more population you have drawing from the same water source could lead to a shortage if there is not responsible management even without a drought. There obviously has not been responsible water management in the city of Raleigh throughout this entire time of drought, or else we wouldn't have seen so many crisis knee-jerk reactions.

The town of Cary has seen tons of gowth just like Raleigh has, and they have been through the same drought, but they seem to have a handle on water management to prevent crisis. It's all about being proactive, not reactive. There are more and more people drawing from the same pool of water, and if there is even less rain than normal, there is going to be a problem. If the city of Raleigh hasn't learned that from this past year, they never will and we'll be dealing with a rollercoaster of water restrictions and crises every time there is a major drought.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Yes, the water shortage (notice I did not say drought) does have someting to do with population increases. The more population you have drawing from the same water source could lead to a shortage if there is not responsible management even without a drought. There obviously has not been responsible water management in the city of Raleigh throughout this entire time of drought, or else we wouldn't have seen so many crisis knee-jerk reactions.

The town of Cary has seen tons of gowth just like Raleigh has, and they have been through the same drought, but they seem to have a handle on water management to prevent crisis. It's all about being proactive, not reactive. There are more and more people drawing from the same pool of water, and if there is even less rain than normal, there is going to be a problem. If the city of Raleigh hasn't learned that from this past year, they never will and we'll be dealing with a rollercoaster of water restrictions and crises every time there is a major drought.
This might just be the best post I've read about the water situation in the Triangle.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 AM

544 posts, read 852,404 times
A drought is less than normal precipitation for an extended period of time – nothing to do with population growth.

This summer will be a repeat of what we see every year: Spring rains replenish some of our water supply, City Hall proclaims the crisis is over and removes water restrictions, people go back to their old ways, a hot dry summer with no rain will drain Falls Lake and by July will be back in crisis mode with maximum restrictions.

And the pendulum will once again swing from one extreme to the other.

I can’t replace my disposal because it’s a waste of water (or whatever reason they come up with this week) but I can go to a commercial car wash and use 50 gallons of water that won’t get recycled. How does that make any sense?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
The banning of disposals has nothing to do with water use. The ban was created because sewage pipes were bursting from massive clogs made up of food and grease. Fixing those line breaks is expensive. Raleigh is hoping that people who don't have disposals will be less likely to put food and grease down their drains, resulting in fewer clogs & broken pipes.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Current drought map - http://www.ncwater.org/drought/graphics/weekly_dm/20080401.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
The banning of disposals has nothing to do with water use. The ban was created because sewage pipes were bursting from massive clogs made up of food and grease. Fixing those line breaks is expensive. Raleigh is hoping that people who don't have disposals will be less likely to put food and grease down their drains, resulting in fewer clogs & broken pipes.

Really? Where exactly are all these broken pipes?? The issue is with sewers overflowing due to accumulated grease.....not chopped up bits of food. Banning disposals will not stop people from pouring grease and fat down the drain....

NY has lifted its garbage disposal ban and some municipalities like Indianapolis and Denver actually REQUIRE garbage disposals in all new homes...

Putting more food scraps in the trash just adds to the landfill problem, from one environmental catastrophe to another.

The disposal ban is ill conceived in my opinion.

Fortunately it doesn't impact me so my disposal will continue to get daily use.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Really? Where exactly are all these broken pipes?? The issue is with sewers overflowing due to accumulated grease.....not chopped up bits of food. Banning disposals will not stop people from pouring grease and fat down the drain....
I'm just telling you their reasons. Not saying I agree.

Raleigh has been considering the ban on disposals for years. It isn't something they came up with during the drought & their reasons for instituting the ban, from what I have read, have little to do with water use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary