Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 10:11 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Can HOAs restrict rentals? Do HOAs for newly constructed neighborhoods do this?
They potentially can. My parents neighborhood HOA forbids rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 05:22 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
I actually think it is four guys which I understand is in fact against Durham's zoning code. I'm not sure what to do exactly though...

Old 12-09-2018, 07:41 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Absent an actual problem and absent HOA covenants forbidding it, I'm not sure what you can do.

Four guys living together is not against the law. Now if they are damaging the property of your ability to enjoy your own property then there may be an issue.

I don't think that unfounded concerns on whether renters will maintain a property or not is a valid reason to initiate some sort of action.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Absent an actual problem and absent HOA covenants forbidding it, I'm not sure what you can do.

Four guys living together is not against the law. Now if they are damaging the property of your ability to enjoy your own property then there may be an issue.

I don't think that unfounded concerns on whether renters will maintain a property or not is a valid reason to initiate some sort of action.
It is against the law zoning ordinances in Durham forbid more than three unrelated people living in a SFH

Old 12-09-2018, 08:00 AM

Can you provide the citation? I do see that for the purposes of defining a "Family" that is basis that Durham uses, but I do not see any code that expressly forbids more than 3 unrelated people living in a SFH.

Here is the entire city code. I haven't read through it but maybe there is something in there that can help you.

https://durham.municipal.codes/

Old 12-09-2018, 08:14 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Can you provide the citation? I do see that for the purposes of defining a "Family" that is basis that Durham uses, but I do not see any code that expressly forbids more than 3 unrelated people living in a SFH.

Here is the entire city code. I haven't read through it but maybe there is something in there that can help you.

Thats not the City Code of Ordinances, thats just the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), which only covers planning and zoning regulations. Here is a link to the Code of Ordinances:

https://library.municode.com/nc/durh..._of_ordinances

However, Section 17.3 of the UDO says:

"B. Where some or all of the occupants are unrelated by blood, marriage, or adoption, the total number of occupants that are unrelated, shall not exceed three. In applying this provision, children who are under the age of 23 and who are children of the owner or a person renting an entire dwelling unit from the owner shall be counted as a single occupant. In addition, in all cases, the limitation set out in subsection C. below shall apply."

Last edited by BC1960; 12-09-2018 at 08:46 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:

It's in the UDO it took me a while to find it there is also a news article from a few years back mentioning the same

Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I actually think it is four guys which I understand is in fact against Durham's zoning code. I'm not sure what to do exactly though...
You can submit your complaint online here:

https://durhamnc.gov/FormCenter/Plan...ion-Request-46

Or call the Planning Department at 919-560-4137.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:00 AM

75 posts, read 64,978 times
I am seeing this trend in my neighborhood in northeast raleigh. We bought our house about 4 years ago and now have a varied and seeming changing crew of military folk living next door (work at Fort Bragg) and two houses across the street seem to have a collection of (1) young males and (2) young Latinos with small children - may or may not be blood related - with comings and goings at odd hours of the night - hubby swears they are dealing drugs! I think they just like to use Uber?

For the most part, yard upkeep is maintained and they are pretty much good/decent neighbors. So it's not terrible - just different than what I'm used too. We may have may not have purchased here if we had known, so it is a bit concerning - but not overly so. I have seen others mention it on the NextDoor app, with questions about HOA restrictions.

I have seen more and more rental signs popping up in the neighborhood.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Thats not the City Code of Ordinances, thats just the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), which only covers planning and zoning regulations. Here is a link to the Code of Ordinances:

https://library.municode.com/nc/durh..._of_ordinances
Ahh yeah you're right, I just did a muni code search for Durham and just posted the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
However, Section 17.3 of the UDO says:

"B. Where some or all of the occupants are unrelated by blood, marriage, or adoption, the total number of occupants that are unrelated, shall not exceed three. In applying this provision, children who are under the age of 23 and who are children of the owner or a person renting an entire dwelling unit from the owner shall be counted as a single occupant. In addition, in all cases, the limitation set out in subsection C. below shall apply."
Again, this is merely pulled from the definition page and is how, for the purposes of the UDO, family is defined.

The city code is more vague:

Sec. 10-233 "...Family means one or more persons living together and having common housekeeping facilities."

In any event, contacting your councilman/woman would be the first course of action. But barring any code violation, I'm not sure there's much that can be done.

I don't think we've established whether the OP lives in an HOA community (if so I apologize) so that may be one other route to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary