Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:53 PM

856 posts, read 704,626 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I may have asked a similar question about a year ago when I was reconsidering relocation to the Raleigh area. A year has passed and I have still not made the move, but it has become a possibility for me once again.

This may come across as a dumb question to some, but are there any Republican areas within a 40 minute drive of Raleigh? I am politically conservative and while I enjoy meeting people with different views than my own, local politics has been a part of my social life and if I were to move to NC, I would get involved both because I enjoy politics and to meet people.

A little about me: I'm a young professional who loves New Jersey (hence the username), but hates New Jersey politics and the cost of living. Everything about your area (culture, food, things to do, economy, cost of living etc. seems wonderful).

Thank you for any feedback!

Old 01-06-2019, 01:04 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,016 times
Look at the voting maps.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...inct-maps.html

In my 23+ years here I have never had a political discussion with friends or neighbors. I'm sure there are groups/meetups catering to the different parties. Or, you can meet people if you have bumper stickers like MAGA, TRUMP,**** Hillary, and the like. Popular in rural areas.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:09 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,747 times
Are there other things you are interested in besides politics? What type of things would you like to be close to? Moving somewhere just to be on the winning political team seems a little odd.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:16 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Are you aware that a NJ Republican translates, for the most part, to a NC Democrat?

My family and friends live all over the Triangle area and can be found at various points of a pretty standard bell-curve of the political spectrum; politics comes up very rarely....fortunately.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
You’ll find a number of State Republicans downtown, and more local Republican strongholds in the burbs. Maybe Wake Forest or even further out like Johnston County.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:30 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,605,459 times
With Raleigh being the capital city and also the de facto "political"/government city of the state, where politics plays a more active role in a higher percentage of its citizens lives, you'd probably be able to find some like minded people to chat with through some sort of organization pretty easily and conveniently.

This may even be the case more than in some of the rural areas where you're more likely to find Republican neighbors.

Besides Raleigh's not really an extreme place as far as political viewpoints when you take the political mindset of the population and average it out.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:39 PM

856 posts, read 704,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Look at the voting maps.

In my 23+ years here I have never had a political discussion with friends or neighbors. I'm sure there are groups/meetups catering to the different parties. Or, you can meet people if you have bumper stickers like MAGA, TRUMP,**** Hillary, and the like. Popular in rural areas.
Thank you for that, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Are you aware that a NJ Republican translates, for the most part, to a NC Democrat?

My family and friends live all over the Triangle area and can be found at various points of a pretty standard bell-curve of the political spectrum; politics comes up very rarely....fortunately.
Yes. I am extremely conservative on economic issues, though more libertarian (pro LGBT rights, for marijuana legalization) socially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Are there other things you are interested in besides politics? What type of things would you like to be close to? Moving somewhere just to be on the winning political team seems a little odd.
Yes, I am not moving because of politics. But I do care about politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
You’ll find a number of State Republicans downtown, and more local Republican strongholds in the burbs. Maybe Wake Forest or even further out like Johnston County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
With Raleigh being the capital city and also the de facto "political"/government city of the state, where politics plays a more active role in a higher percentage of its citizens lives, you'd probably be able to find some like minded people to chat with through some sort of organization pretty easily and conveniently.

This may even be the case more than in some of the rural areas where you're more likely to find Republican neighbors.

Besides Raleigh's not really an extreme place as far as political viewpoints when you take the political mindset of the population and average it out.

Thank you both, that is a big help!

Old 01-06-2019, 01:45 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,747 times
Aside from a conservative area, what other things do you wish to be near? Are you interested in being close to greenways, parks, shopping, healthcare, or nightlife? You say you are young, would you mind being out in the country? Or closer to downtown? We need more than just your political persuasion.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 PM

888 posts, read 805,503 times
This is why I eat like I do. Short tall skinny or fat I don't care if we enjoy the same food then it'll keep the business afloat.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:59 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Look at the voting maps.

In my 23+ years here I have never had a political discussion with friends or neighbors. I'm sure there are groups/meetups catering to the different parties.
we must travel in different groups. In our 6 years here, we've had more friends and neighbors bring up politics than anywhere else we've lived. Maybe it's because we're hanging around with retired people. Maybe it's because we're almost always hanging around with transplants.
I really don't know why this has been such a frequent experience for us.

When we have friends in our home, one of us is always ready and willing to state that our home is in a "no politics zone". Our closest friends know we consider it a topic that has zero positive benefit at any social event, so it rarely happens with them anymore. For years, We had been members of a dinner group. After multiple warnings, we quit because one member insisted on discussing politics and trying to inflame the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary