Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
What's really crazy is they had it listed at 930k back in the summer and took it off the market for (what appear to be all cosmetic) updates before re-listing 400k higher. Smh

Side note....I was good friends in middle school with a kid who lived right across the street from that house. It's just a few houses down from the infamous "red roof" house that almost made Cary crap itself when it was built.

Does it still have a red roof? Somehow I haven't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice View Post
Hi All

When we first moved down here we saw an episode of House Hunters "Finding The Right Fit In Raleigh". The couple ended up purchasing a beautiful home in 12 Oaks on the episode. We drove down to look at it and loved what we saw but it was a little bit beyond our budget and less convenient from a commuting standpoint. That being said we would still drive through the neighborhood whenever we were nearby as we liked it so much. Recently we saw that the main road entering has changed. It used to be a nice little trip with trees on either side of the road and some nice green space as well. Unfortunately they are now building on that portion of the development right up to the main entrance road. What a shame - it really seemed to detract from the setting and overall impression we had.

Anyway - I'm curious to hear what folks here think of the changes there: and more importantly what neighborhoods you find yourself going through just because you like them.

Sincerely,

A 12 Oaks Not You
I like real trees and a bit of water.....

Examples:

Raleigh:
Brookhaven, Lake Anne, Cameron Park, Boylan Heights, Laurel Hills, Stonehenge, Greystone

Cary:
MacGregor Downs, Lochmere, Wimbledon, Farmington Woods, Homestead, Harrison Place, Meadowmont, Irongate, Coronado Village, Greenwood Forest, Stoneybrook Estates, Kildaire Farm neighborhoods.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:08 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,865 times
I love MacGregor downs and it's 70's style houses. I am partial to Lochmere too - I often run that sidewalk from Tryon through to Kildare farm road. The location is really convenient too.

Back in 2009 we found a house in Oxxford Hunt and I did fall for that neighborhood but the house needed foundation work and I was scared it was going to be a huge money pit. We couldn't afford anything else in that neighborhood.

Having said all that, I live in Holly Springs very close to 12 Oaks! I adore living in the Springs but the traffic is getting to be a bit of a nightmare.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Boylan Heights, Oakwood, Mordecai and Five Points are the neighborhoods I would love to live in if I could stretch my budget, but honestly I don’t ever want to pay more.
These and a few other old Raleigh and Durham neighborhoods (Cameron Park, Trinity Park, Hayes Barton). I’d much prefer a modest bungalow somewhere like that to a mansion in some nouveau riche golf community out in Holly Springs or whatnot.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:56 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice View Post

Anyway - I'm curious to hear what folks here think of the changes there: and more importantly what neighborhoods you find yourself going through just because you like them.
We were kind of the same with 12 Oaks, but then we came to the conclusion that we really only liked 2 houses in there, the rest were just meh. Not that there were anything wrong with the other houses they just were average houses.

I do like some of the unique designs in there (some in particular give me a New Orleans vibe), but honestly my biggest concern with respect to 12 Oaks is the massive size of that development. Again there's nothing wrong with that, I just prefer a smaller development.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:17 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
In so many ways, 12 Oaks reminds me of Bedford/Falls River and Heritage. All are HUGE neighborhoods with lots of home, rather close together.

I've had clients buy in all those neighborhoods and the LOVE THEM! I mean, LOVE THEM to the point that when they buy their first home there and outgrow it, they want another home in the same neighborhood!

I've had parents buy in those neighborhoods and then their kids buy in the same neighborhood but are far enough away that they don't interfere with each other's lives...too much!

The amenities in those large neighborhoods are wonderful. Not only do you get the pools and clubhouse but you get people that WANT to socialize with their neighbors! 12 Oaks has a father/daughter dance! The social activities are amazing.

However, it isn't for everyone! My husband doesn't like neighborhoods that large and prefers a bit more space between homes. So...isn't it nice that we all have choices?!!

Old 01-10-2019, 08:05 AM

253 posts, read 236,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Boylan Heights, Oakwood, Mordecai and Five Points are the neighborhoods I would love to live in if I could stretch my budget, but honestly I don’t ever want to pay more.
This is pretty much my list as well. I love the houses in those neighborhoods and it would be nice to be more walkable to things than my current neighborhood. But sadly out of my budget unless I was really willing to compromise on size, and my husband is from somewhere much colder and insisted we needed a garage, which didn't leave a lot of options in our price range in those neighborhoods (I, being a true Southerner, are of the opinion garages are really only for storage, not cars).

Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I love driving through neighborhoods and still do even though we're not looking for a house. I'd make a good Realtor if I wasn't terrible with people.

I.
Me too....I'd be like "WILL YOU MAKE UP YOUR MIND ALREADY" and "ARE YOU KIDDING YOU'LL BE IN DEBT FOREVER IF YOU BUY THAT HOUSE". Ha ha....but I love looking at houses and locations, etc.

As to the OP's question, no....we actually ended up in the neighborhood that my sister swore we would end up when SHE moved down here first which is kind of funny. I like the general area where I live and the only other neighborhoods I like enough to drive through more than needed are Preston Village and Preston Forest. The Forest is probably my favorite but it doesn't have a pool, you have to join the country club. I also like MacGregor Downs, used to use it as a cut through on my way to work. And I don't know the neighborhood name but drown down Dixie Trail or around there once in Raleigh and loved the neighborhood.

That house in Lochmere is nice, don't care for the kitchen but the setting is amazing.

Last edited by twingles; 01-10-2019 at 08:44 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 08:42 AM

259 posts, read 243,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
These and a few other old Raleigh and Durham neighborhoods (Cameron Park, Trinity Park, Hayes Barton). I’d much prefer a modest bungalow somewhere like that to a mansion in some nouveau riche golf community out in Holly Springs or whatnot.
Same here!

Old 01-10-2019, 01:18 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Lochmere: I usually run the lake trail after eating something at wholefoods, I also like the houses around meadowment village in chapel hill, southern village too. Also the villages at apex right by the skate park, recently learned how to skate(barely) and after trying not to fall, I like to run that neighborhood and hit up the brewery inside of it, mainly to see what food trucks they got out there that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary