Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 12:02 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,982,655 times

Advertisements

And that's a good thing

And wake students benefit from leaving for school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 12:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,582,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Dealing with this now as DS is a senior in high school. USC is popular, but even with an additional $4k in annual merit aid on top of the out of state tuition waiver, USC is 2-3k more than UNC and NCSU. That makes it a competitive option if you want to "go away" to school, but not a slam dunk financial you have to go here. Alabama and Auburn do similar things with a lower bar for honors admission.

I would suggest if your income is low (or you can make it appear low legally), investigate private schools, as with their endowments, that 50k+ price tag will evaporate quickly. UNC/NCSU do not offer large sums of merit aid compared to other public colleges in the southeast and apparently dont need to as tuition is relatively reasonable.

I'd also add, that competition is fierce for UNC/NCSU from tier 3 counties (Rtp and charlotte areas, etc). Stats that got me admitted to UNC out of state 30 years ago, cause you to be waitlisted from wake county this year. If you absolutely want your degree to be from UNC/NCSU, then it is easier to transfer in, than to be accepted out of HS.
My oldest had the head to get into UNC but not the work ethic. Thanks to his girlfriend he found inspiration once he started attending UNCG, compiled a 4.0 GPA through his first three semesters and then transferred into UNC to begin his Junior year.

My youngest hated High School and literally aimed for doing the least amount of work possible in order to graduate. He decided going into his Junior year that he'd attend Wake Tech for a few semesters and use that as a springboard to get into a better four year school. And that's exactly what he's currently doing.

As a professional who has interviewed literally hundreds of college graduates over my career I can assure you, no one cares where you started college, only where you finished it. And even then, that's often not as critical as having actually finished.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:45 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,548,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
My oldest had the head to get into UNC but not the work ethic. Thanks to his girlfriend he found inspiration once he started attending UNCG, compiled a 4.0 GPA through his first three semesters and then transferred into UNC to begin his Junior year.

My youngest hated High School and literally aimed for doing the least amount of work possible in order to graduate. He decided going into his Junior year that he'd attend Wake Tech for a few semesters and use that as a springboard to get into a better four year school. And that's exactly what he's currently doing.

As a professional who has interviewed literally hundreds of college graduates over my career I can assure you, no one cares where you started college, only where you finished it. And even then, that's often not as critical as having actually finished.
I would also add that the traditional university process may articially deny opportunities to people who may make fine doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc through their weed out process. Freshman Chemistry or Organic Chemistry may be more difficult at UNC/NCSU (or larger class so less individualized attention), so the person taking the class there gets a "C" where the person taking it at the local community college gets a "B+". Uphill climb for the UNC/NCSU to get high GPA for med school. Community college student transfers in with the credits and doesnt have the "C" on their transcript.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
'fo 'sho.

Students from rural NC counties don't like to hear it but it is true....the emphasis on class rank for UNC/NCSU undergrad admission makes it quite a bit harder to get in from a "big league" high school.

I went to the grad ceremony for East Chapel Hill High in 2015 and there were over THIRTY valedictorians.
And with a strategic plan to increase graduates from rural areas, this will make it tougher to be admitted from "big league" high schools.

https://www.northcarolina.edu/sites/...2017_final.pdf

Old 02-26-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
And with a strategic plan to increase graduates from rural areas, this will make it tougher to be admitted from "big league" high schools.

https://www.northcarolina.edu/sites/...2017_final.pdf
objectively though why would anyone consider it a good thing for triangle graduates to monopolize triangle colleges

Old 02-26-2019, 01:54 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,864,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
objectively though why would anyone consider it a good thing for triangle graduates to monopolize triangle colleges
Not necessarily monopolize, but it is weird that I’d be better off getting my son a worse education in Chatham than a better education in Wake, at least as far as college acceptances go.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Not necessarily monopolize, but it is weird that I’d be better off getting my son a worse education in Chatham than a better education in Wake, at least as far as college acceptances go.
maybe its the case college admissions have other goals than admitting students with the highest numbers

also thats a very hard thing to quantify on an individual basis

it's also classist to expect because you were well resourced enough to be supported and achieve the higher SAT you deserve access to better school than someone who struggled without that

in the sense of the goodness of the world/state it also makes wayyyyyyyyyyy more sense to spread the triangle graduates around to lift up students attending the other schools

i know that's a hard pill for parents but we're blessed in NC with a good state college system

Old 02-26-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I looked at that since Chatham is 1/2 mile from my current house and Chatham is a tier 3 county, so same weight as Wake, Durham, Orange. Now how a child would do at Northwood compared to western Wake high schools is a different question, but county tier weighting wont impact that.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:07 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,864,584 times
Quote:
I looked at that since Chatham is 1/2 mile from my current house and Chatham is a tier 3 county, so same weight as Wake, Durham, Orange. Now how a child would do at Northwood compared to western Wake high schools is a different question, but county tier weighting wont impact that.
That’s good, but it changed then since when I graduated from school (and my cousin graduated from Chatham Central). And obviously there is a lot that goes into how universities decide to spread the wealth, but certainly as my so gets into that age to start worrying, I’ve become acutely aware that there are real headwinds involved because of where he went to school.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:34 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
Define better “education”. I think your defining it as “higher performing High School.”

Does the average Pittsboro student have a lower GPA, higher dropout rate, etc at UNC-CH OR NCSU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary