Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 04:52 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times

Advertisements

Not a realtor/builder, so take that into consideration

perk/perc is peculate for the septic system. Must go at a certain rate so you can have a septic system. Very important if you are not hooked into a town's sewer system. Might also have a limit on number of bedrooms/bathrooms based on the perc.

HOA come with new subdivisions. In my neighborhood it covers maintenance (lawn mowing, etc.) of common areas and retention ponds. And insurance on the retention ponds.

Finding an unimproved lot within CH town limits is rare. I know there has been a lot of heavy remodeling on some homes. Chapel Hill can just be weird (and not always in a good way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainesmom View Post
I would prefer to rehab a house (my broken-down farm house ), but on the off chance we decide to build instead, I have a few questions about buying land. What do you all think?

1. What makes one lot more desirable than another? I usually say proximity to a downtown, percentage wooded (I like more), proximity to a main road, in a town with low taxes, and the assigned school district (which doesn't matter to me). Would lots in, say, Chapel Hill be more desirable than Apex? Wake Forest? Durham?

2. What does perk (perc) mean?

3. When viewing a listing, what should I look for? Established water/sewer/septic?

4. Why are there so many HOAs? Are they all to manage the funding of community amenities, like a pool, etc.? Or do they serve other purposes?

5. With all the growth, are the local house builders up to their eyeballs in projects? Is there a long wait for a build to get started?

6. Is there a ballpark cost per sqft to build in this area? I realize there are many factors which will influence this number.

7. Do some towns have a reputation for an amenable or ornery building department? Are there some towns that are easier to work with than others?

Thanks!
Siobhan
1. That is so subjective.
If you want a college town, you really have three choices: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill.

2. As stated earlier by 919, "Perk" is slang for Percolation. Judges the drainage and water retention characteristics and the suitability of the soils for onsite septic tank and drain field.
"Conventional" is most desirable, with other options such as "drip," low pressure irrigation, engineered systems.
Conventional means that the soils are most amenable for are least expensive septic drain field installation.
And, any drain field must be backed up by a designated repair field, in case of failure.
Some fun reading:
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/septic-system-owners-guide

3. Water and Septic should be addressed in a listing.
Well, Community, County, City for water.
City sewer, Community sewer, or Septic Tank for sewer service.

4. 25 years ago, legislation was passed that requires any development of over 20 lots to name an entity or individual with responsibilities for maintenance of common areas.
Common areas may be stormwater management ponds, or something as small as a grassy area with a welcoming sign with the subdivision name on it.
Since very few individuals will ever want all the responsibility, it leads to an entity. Typically, an HOA.

Older neighborhoods, predating the mid-1970's have far fewer HOAs. And, these are also neighborhoods with teardowns and new builds across the Triangle.

5. Quality builders tend to always be busy. Labor and materials shortages cause many delays. Town Permits departments often take 4-6 weeks to issue permits, if all goes well.
If I was going to build a full custom modernist home, I would allow 18 months for design, permitting, and completion.

6. Guess $150SF should cover it. You can push it much higher with choices of fixtures, tile, design, etc.

7. It sometimes seems that they compete to be more ornery than the next town.
OTOH, if the builder is really trying to work with the Permits and Inspections folks, and has a relationship based on not playing with them, things can go smoother.

I had clients close in Mebane last week. The agent told me that Mebane is difficult. That the plumber left a jacket in a sink, and an inspection was failed for that.
My intuition tells me that that plumber has a history with the town.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 AM

38 posts, read 23,129 times
Thank you for such thorough feedback!

Old 03-15-2019, 06:37 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Also note that while HOAs can be the minimal type that Mike mentions, they can also run the other extreme and do things like:
- manage lots of common areas like playgrounds, walking trails, etc. in a larger neighborhood
- maintain and run a pool and/or clubhouse
- be responsible for private roads/alleys
- have restrictive covenants meant to keep up the look and character of the neighborhood that might cover anything from paint color of your home, mailbox style and color, fence approval and style, yard upkeep, not keeping trashcans outside, parking, etc.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Also note that while HOAs can be the minimal type that Mike mentions, they can also run the other extreme and do things like:
- manage lots of common areas like playgrounds, walking trails, etc. in a larger neighborhood
- maintain and run a pool and/or clubhouse
- be responsible for private roads/alleys
- have restrictive covenants meant to keep up the look and character of the neighborhood that might cover anything from paint color of your home, mailbox style and color, fence approval and style, yard upkeep, not keeping trashcans outside, parking, etc.

Absolutely.

Most really are involved in more details than the minimums that I cited as the threshold of legal requirements.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1. That is so subjective.
If you want a college town, you really have three choices: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill.

2. As stated earlier by 919, "Perk" is slang for Percolation. Judges the drainage and water retention characteristics and the suitability of the soils for onsite septic tank and drain field.
"Conventional" is most desirable, with other options such as "drip," low pressure irrigation, engineered systems.
Conventional means that the soils are most amenable for are least expensive septic drain field installation.
And, any drain field must be backed up by a designated repair field, in case of failure.
Some fun reading:
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/septic-system-owners-guide

3. Water and Septic should be addressed in a listing.
Well, Community, County, City for water.
City sewer, Community sewer, or Septic Tank for sewer service.

4. 25 years ago, legislation was passed that requires any development of over 20 lots to name an entity or individual with responsibilities for maintenance of common areas.
Common areas may be stormwater management ponds, or something as small as a grassy area with a welcoming sign with the subdivision name on it.
Since very few individuals will ever want all the responsibility, it leads to an entity. Typically, an HOA.

Older neighborhoods, predating the mid-1970's have far fewer HOAs. And, these are also neighborhoods with teardowns and new builds across the Triangle.

5. Quality builders tend to always be busy. Labor and materials shortages cause many delays. Town Permits departments often take 4-6 weeks to issue permits, if all goes well.
If I was going to build a full custom modernist home, I would allow 18 months for design, permitting, and completion.

6. Guess $150SF should cover it. You can push it much higher with choices of fixtures, tile, design, etc.

7. It sometimes seems that they compete to be more ornery than the next town.
OTOH, if the builder is really trying to work with the Permits and Inspections folks, and has a relationship based on not playing with them, things can go smoother.

I had clients close in Mebane last week. The agent told me that Mebane is difficult. That the plumber left a jacket in a sink, and an inspection was failed for that.
My intuition tells me that that plumber has a history with the town.
I tried to give you a reputation point for your help to the OP, but it won't let me do it until I spread the love around to others. I guess that I am too big of a fan of yours. http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ilies/wink.gif

Old 03-16-2019, 04:28 AM

360 posts, read 400,135 times
For a suburban setting - Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, Holly Springs, North Raleigh etc.

For more urban feel - Raleigh or Durham downtown

Old 03-16-2019, 08:43 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
For a suburban setting - Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, Holly Springs, North Raleigh etc.

For more urban feel - Raleigh or Durham downtown
By your definition anything outside of downtown Raleigh or Durham is suburban. But if you're used to a bigger city, Raleigh Durham will seem small.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:35 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Please utilize every program for socialization of your son or send him to a school where he can be around people his own age.

He'll be better prepared to lead a happy, successful life.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:25 PM

38 posts, read 23,129 times
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary