Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2007, 09:35 AM

43 posts, read 320,400 times

Advertisements

Discussion on popular lawn grasses has me wondering about gardening in NC. At my current house in the Chicago suburbs, I have 2 inches of black topsoil.
Below that is 8 inches of 40% rock, 20% sand, 40% clay, below that is hardpan. You need a pick axe to bust through that. Dynamite would be better, but they don't sell that at The Borg Depot

In 20 years of gardening, the best soil amendment that I have found is pine bark mulch. Pieces smaller than a dime are best. Breaks up the soil, easy to dig 5 years later, provides organic material...

other suggestions I tried
**Cedar mulch-- no good, cedar is good at killing off other competing vegetation

**Peat moss -- okay for acidifying the soil for tiger lillies. 50% peat, 50% clay.

**Sand "to improve drainage" -- Sand + clay = bricks. I'll never try that again.

The NC red clay is obviously different from the hardpan that I am used to. What is the best way of improving this soil for gardening? In the south, I would be concerned that adding pine bark mulch might be food for termites...What soil prepartion is best for the clay in Raleigh?

PS
I have a friend who built her house about 10 years ago. For lawn preparation, she brought in about 6 pickup loads of horse manure. Raked all that in before the lawn was seeded. Looks great without chemicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 10:27 AM

842 posts, read 3,230,570 times
I agree with using pine bark mulch as a conditioner. It can make your soil acidic though.

I had just finished drywalling my bonus room, so I had a bunch of leftover scraps of sheetrock (regular, not fire-suppressent). Sheetrock is composed of gypsum, which is a very common soil conditioner. Benefits include...
1) An excellent fertilizer source for calcium and sulphur.
2) Improves soil structure.
3) Reduces PH level (which is important in our clay soils).
4) Helps retain water (gypsum-treated soils can hold up to 100% more water)

What I did was till in about 1" of pine bark mulch and whatever leftover sheetrock I had into the soil. The sheetrock helps control the acidity of the pine bark mulch, and I eliminated a large volume of trash that would have ended up in a landfill.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 AM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Pine bark is good, if somewhat acid.
Termites are no sweat. We all have them, and regardless, your home has to be protected. Pine Bark won't harbor or attract them.

Anything that will separate the soil from compaction, and help it hold moisture.
You might consider addition of Perma-Till, which is a slate(?) product that doesn't compact or deteriorate. It has the aded benefit of deterring voles from munching on your succulent bulbs and roots.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:11 PM

75 posts, read 414,016 times
I live in TX (moving in a couple months to Raleigh!!) and have somehow survived gardening in solid black clay. It's awful and does a number on foundations here. (Just look up all the foundation repair companies in North TX and you'll see what big business it is here.) Anyways, the best amendment by far is mature compost. Any organic matter is good, but if you have composted organic matter, there is no more decaying needed to break down the matter (like mulch, etc.) into nutrients for the plants. Bacteria needed to break down mulch feed off nitrogen. Applying compost does the best job at breaking down clay and also supplies the soil with all the nutrient requirements needed.

EDIT -- I've heard that expanded shale is awesome for clay b/c it doesn't mix into it and turn to sludge like sands. I'm not sure how expensive it is, and it doesn't aid w/ nutrients for your plants like compost, but I think it's probably the quickest fix to loosen clays.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:37 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,524 times
I like to use a compost mix, which is a mixture(percentages depend on where you get it) of topsoil, manure, and organic(usually leaf mulch)material. I buy it by the cubic yard, not in bags.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,259,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
I like to use a compost mix, which is a mixture(percentages depend on where you get it) of topsoil, manure, and organic(usually leaf mulch)material. I buy it by the cubic yard, not in bags.
Yes. We usually just have a unit delivered in the spring. I used to buy it buy the bag, but it seems to be cheaper by the unit. I almost ruined my knee double digging in Portland clay. In the future, I'm just going to do raised beds.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Yes. We usually just have a unit delivered in the spring. I used to buy it buy the bag, but it seems to be cheaper by the unit. I almost ruined my knee double digging in Portland clay. In the future, I'm just going to do raised beds.
I usually till the bed, add compost, then till again. No double digging for me

Old 02-22-2009, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,473 times
Where in Wake County can you purchase the compost mix in bulk for vegetable raised bed gardening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary