Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:43 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times

Advertisements

My list would include that dreaded vehicle property tax as well (grumble, grumble).

Here's a positive for the list: tons of choices for ethnic food. I moved here not really knowing how great that is here, and it's actually a huge plus for me - in fact when it comes to homebuying, it's kind of make or break for me personally. I wouldn't move anywhere that doesn't have plenty of of choices for Indian, Thai, etc. (From what people have told me, I should never move to the midwest?)

Anyway that's something that might please potential relocaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 PM

78 posts, read 199,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Great question! Here is my list:

1. How to navigate the Belt line and the Belt line is route 440 and has an inner (clockwise) and outter (counter-clockwise direction).

2. Neighborhood traffic. Some neighborhoods in N. Raleigh along Falls of Nuese are
very hard to get in and out of during rush hour traffic. The new light at Bedford is
a real big help for those that live there.

3. That there is city water, community well water, and personal well water. The
community well was a new concept to us.

4. Some of the more nasty bugs and snakes around here. Not that it would of
changed our minds but it would be nice to be prepared if case one did bite.

5. HOA and Covenants. Never had to deal with them in our previous location.

do tell about the belt line and the nasty critters.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:48 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
(From what people have told me, I should never move to the midwest?)

Big cities are fantastic (especially Chicago), some college towns are pretty good and there are occasional rare finds in smaller town, but the midwest is pretty much an ethnic food wasteland. This comes from 30 years of living in 5 midwestern states. Of course, the same could be said of 90% of NC too, lol. :-)

Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
I would not trumpet the triangle as an ethnic food mecca, but it's not Topeka, KS either. Still, with the majority of transplants coming here from large cities, I wouldn't say this is a selling point.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM

78 posts, read 199,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
(From what people have told me, I should never move to the midwest?)

Big cities are fantastic (especially Chicago), some college towns are pretty good and there are occasional rare finds in smaller town, but the midwest is pretty much an ethnic food wasteland. This comes from 30 years of living in 5 midwestern states. Of course, the same could be said of 90% of NC too, lol. :-)
Im in Chicago now, well a suburb anyway, and I agree with you. We have great ethnic foods with a lot of variety of the ethnicity. Outside of Chicago, not a lot of variety. Glad to hear that NC has a little variety in it.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Ok, my list thus far (after 2 days of living here!!!)
1. Driver's license through DMV, car registration at a NC Tag Center (both in same place where we came from)
2. Unlit major highways - some times difficult to see at night
3. Commute through area of RTP at peak hours is nothing like traffic in large cities

Old 04-17-2008, 03:19 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
I guess I can't complain too much.

In Northern Virginia we also had to pay vehicle taxes, we had just as many bugs and snakes as around here, we have the "move over" law, we had the capital beltway (Beltline is not confusing to me at all), and we also had to get annual car safety and emissions inspections which actually cost more and took much longer to do (causing longer lines than here).

State income tax is higher here, state sales tax is also higher here, and the fact that you have to pay an extra tax to buy groceries is ludicrus...but that's about it. Also all of the 45 mph speed limits on poorly graded 2 lanes roads with housing developments on both sides kind of bugs me. I did notice that just today 35 mph signs have been added on Ebenezar Church rd. (north of Glenwood), and all I can say is it's about time! I wish they would also put 35 mph limit signs on Westgate Rd. and certain parts of Leesville Rd.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:21 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times
This is great information.

I also love that it's mainly little things, with no mention of bad weather or passive-aggressive people, which are the main complaints over on another board.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
state sales tax is also higher here
You must not be from CA

One pleasant surprise is that new cars are taxed only 3% (granted they make up for this annually) but in CA they are taxed the full 8%

Old 04-17-2008, 03:25 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,765 times
Here's mine--I moved last summer from NJ

--The vehicle tax(I think YOU filled us in on that one Vicki..LOL)
--What everyone else said about getting your license renewed( having to take the written test(I barely passed on the first try..LOL)..and the "order" things have to be done to register/ to get a NC license, license plates etc. We just did it @ 6 months ago and I still couldnt tell you what order its suppose to be in. Registration? Insurance? Plates?)
--FIRE ANTS. They were horrible when we first moved here last summer. And I discovered I'm allergic to them.
--Very few new homes with basements, or underground sprinkler systems(at least here in Johnston County in my area).

--Schools:
1. From grade 3 on up, children must pass a standardized(EOG) test to go on to the next grade level. Didnt have that in Jersey. We had "standardiazed tests"..but it did not determine whether they passed or not. There are some exceptions of course, but overall most kids must pass the End-Of-Grade(standardized) test in math and reading to pass to the next grade.
2. No teacher union(pros and cons with that).
3. Teaching assistants also have to be bus-drivers. This is probably the thing I am most bothered by(I'm a teacher). There are SO MANY quality people that would be teaching assistants if they were not forced to drive a bus. In NJ it was private bus companies and ta's were just ta's. There also is not sufficient cafeteria staff here...compared to NJ. Teacher often serve the kids food in the cafeteria.
4. Special-needs services are not as good as in NJ....but its getting better.
5. Kids here supply their OWN school supplies and must have them before school starts. In NJ the schools supplied EVERYTHING(paper, pencils, etc. etc. Teachers were also covered with endless post-its, tape, paper clips etc. etc. No budget. Of course thats why NJ taxes are so $$$$$$$ )
6. All of the redistricting that goes on in Wake County schools.
7. The substitute teacher pay here being so low.(half as in Jersey), therefore not a lot of quality subs..or subs period. Therefore, lots of pressure from school admin. when you have to take a day off as a teacher.

But as others said, nothing that would make me even consider moving back to NJ. We love it here overall and expected some surprises. Thats all part of the moving "adventure".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary