Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:29 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It matters at the time. It doesn't matter now. What would it change, now? OP doesn't need to do anything for her son, medically. The director can't do anything more than she did. It's like if the school had been negligent letting them cross the street and they almost got hit by a car; after the fact it makes no difference if the car was going 25 mph or 50 mph, as the situation has passed.

Heat stroke is extremely apparent; the staff would have noticed, and her son didn't describe himself as being sick.

Honestly, I think they're telling the truth because I think that the consequences would have been much worse after an hour and a half; though it's hard to say since a bus is less of a greenhouse than a sedan and there are 100 other variables to how hot it got.

I sound callous, but I'm not. The thought of a kid being left in a bus on a hot day shakes me to my core; OP's reaction is completely understandable. Attempting to figure out a timeline after the fact doesn't change anything.
You're right about all of this, but it does speak to the lack of common sense we're dealing with on the staff. 40 minutes is a long time for a 5 year old to be missing and they thought he was off the bus. It's WAY to long to go without calling for assistance, asking for a lockdown at the venue or checking the bus despite what the driver said.. Quite frankly the staff should be familiar enough with the driver to know that's the first thing they should have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 02:51 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You're right about all of this, but it does speak to the lack of common sense we're dealing with on the staff. 40 minutes is a long time for a 5 year old to be missing and they thought he was off the bus. It's WAY to long to go without calling for assistance, asking for a lockdown at the venue or checking the bus despite what the driver said.. Quite frankly the staff should be familiar enough with the driver to know that's the first thing they should have done.
(I Think) 40 minutes doesn't refer to how long they looked. They could have looked for all of four minutes after realizing he was unaccounted for.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:56 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
This is frightening to read. I'm glad your kid will be ok after this experience, but you shouldn't have to go through it.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:31 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
Holy cow, with today's heat this could have been another of the way to many tragedies when kids are left in ovens (vehicles). If this had been an afternoon outing I hate to even think of the outcome. I worked on the inside of my car this afternoon and it was unbearably hot and with both doors open i couldn't stay in there very long without cranking up the engine and AC.

I hope you are able to raise enough flags so your day care provider and hopefully others address making 100% sure no one is left in a vehicle ANYTIME. Whatever the season it should be mandatory for a walk-through to ASSURE no child is left alone. It's not a manner of a child missing out on a movie or whatever, it could easily be a manner of life and death.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:00 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's really awful. Regarding the bolded though, does it matter? If that were the case, that he was alone for 1.5 hours, what would you expect that's different? The director can't double-fire the teacher/driver. It sounds like the director is handling this as a serious incident and doing so properly. Your son is fine, and that's what matters. The only people that know for certain are the driver and teacher.

The daycare's version seems credible enough.
Aweful what happened to your kid but I agree here. If you have proof the director did everything stated above then what more are you after? If you are wanting to file a lawsuit, I don't think it matters whether it's 40 minutes or 1.5 hours?

Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
How are procedures updated to ensure this never happens again?

Old 09-11-2019, 08:17 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,994 times
teach your kid how to buckle/un-buckle their seat belt. Sorry they got stuck, the camp should count the kids on the vehicle and count them off the vehicle when they arrive it's not rocket science just laziness.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:27 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
OP, find out who regulates/licenses the day care and CALL THEM. File a complaint. I am sure they are accountable to someone. This is my result from a quick search.

https://ncchildcare.ncdhhs.gov/Servi...cense-Overview

Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
OP, find out who regulates/licenses the day care and CALL THEM. File a complaint. I am sure they are accountable to someone. This is my result from a quick search.

OP said the daycare reported it to the state.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post

I agree with Sal M.......you need to follow up to ensure that this was reported and you should definitely file a complaint as well.

I'm so sorry your son had to endure that and so thankful that he is OK!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary