Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 06:05 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I understand that you're upset, but your child is fine and the daycare management appears to be responding appropriately. What exactly are you trying to do by proving that the employees lied? Why don't you focus on making sure the daycare center does what it needs to do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.
I agree. The point of reporting them to the State Regulating authority is to ensure that they correct what went wrong - I am assuming all daycares are supposed to have procedures in place to prevent this from occurring to start with. School buses used to display signs that said they checked for sleeping children. By reporting them the daycare, and the State will look at what went wrong, determine where the breakdown occurred (did an employee not follow procedure or was this a systemic issue) and how to make sure it will not happen again.

OP, the other issue for you to address is do you trust this agency to care for your child? If not, find a new provider but still report them so the above occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
If there is any kind of cover up going on about how long it was that the kid was in the van, then that speaks to the culture of the place and, if it turns out they are lying about the duration, I think absolutely more action should be taken. If any employees or managers are trying to minimize at all the extent of their wrongdoing through deception, then that means they haven't really learned the lesson, they will feel like they got away with it, and might be emboldened to try something even more next time.

If I were a parent sending my kid to that daycare, I'd for sure want to know there was no cover up of any kind. Need to be sure the WHOLE truth is out.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:59 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,808 times
Quote:
I understand that you're upset, but your child is fine and the daycare management appears to be responding appropriately. What exactly are you trying to do by proving that the employees lied? Why don't you focus on making sure the daycare center does what it needs to do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

Wow really? No issues if they lied and cooked up? I question your rational...
Heck it matters! How read what Orulz said above. Thanks Orulz!
This far, I believe the owner/director is doing right things, but she is solely depending on the narrative coined by teachers.
I'll stop here and only post when there are objective updates...

Last edited by gcretro; 09-13-2019 at 03:33 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 03:40 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
If there is any kind of cover up going on about how long it was that the kid was in the van, then that speaks to the culture of the place and, if it turns out they are lying about the duration, I think absolutely more action should be taken. If any employees or managers are trying to minimize at all the extent of their wrongdoing through deception, then that means they haven't really learned the lesson, they will feel like they got away with it, and might be emboldened to try something even more next time.

If I were a parent sending my kid to that daycare, I'd for sure want to know there was no cover up of any kind. Need to be sure the WHOLE truth is out.
They were fired. Fired because they lost a kid. In a van on a hot day. If it had been an hour and a half, what additional lessons would be learned? What did they get away with? What additional consequences would they face? Good, bad or indifferent in the absence of a victim (meaning someone that was injured or worse) its one of a hundred different things in life where poor conduct isn't a crime til someone gets hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Wow really? No issues if they lied and cooked up? I question you rational...
Heck it matters! How read what Orulz said below. Thanks Orulz!
This far, I believe the owner/director is doing right things, but she is at the narrative coined by teachers.
I'll stop here and only post when there are objective details...
If they did...What would change? The people that possibly covered up were dismissed. How would you prove that the director is in on the 45 minute coverup? If the Director sleuthed around and found out they lied she couldn't rehire them to fire them again.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:41 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
Quote:
Wow really? No issues if they lied and cooked up? I question you rational...
Heck it matters! How read what Orulz said below. Thanks Orulz!
This far, I believe the owner/director is doing right things, but she is at the narrative coined by teachers.
I'll stop here and only post when there are objective details...
I hope you don't get discouraged and let this thing just die. (not important here on CD as this is just a forum)

Thankfully your child dodged a bullet but by you demanding answers you may save another child from perishing in a hot day care vehicle. These little tikes are not too much different than pets. They have very limited skills in self survival. A day care driver probably has more responsibility than any other transportation professional other than a commercial pilot. Don't think these should be minimum wage jobs.

Last edited by pitroad; 09-13-2019 at 04:07 PM..

Old 09-14-2019, 08:07 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Quote:
Wow really? No issues if they lied and cooked up? I question your rational...
Heck it matters! How read what Orulz said above. Thanks Orulz!
This far, I believe the owner/director is doing right things, but she is solely depending on the narrative coined by teachers.
I'll stop here and only post when there are objective updates...
The director fired them. She can't fire them MORE. How do you know she believed them anyway? Maybe she really deep down thinks they lied. Doesn't matter. The facts are: Your child is fine. The director investigated & reported the incident to the authorities. The director fired the teachers. What else do you want??? Are you trying to set things up so you can sue the daycare? If so, the judge will be the first to remind you that your child is fine and the negligent teachers who didn't follow protocol have been fired.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
Quote:
The director fired them. She can't fire them MORE. How do you know she believed them anyway? Maybe she really deep down thinks they lied. Doesn't matter. The facts are: Your child is fine. The director investigated & reported the incident to the authorities. The director fired the teachers. What else do you want??? Are you trying to set things up so you can sue the daycare? If so, the judge will be the first to remind you that your child is fine and the negligent teachers who didn't follow protocol have been fired.
Finding a negligent individual and firing them is NEVER the whole answer. Read any accident report.

Similarly, our criminal justice system focuses heavily on punishment as the way to right wrongs but that is sadly not very effective. Understanding and addressing root causes is far, far more important and effective.

When the NTSB investigates a plane crash, and they find that a maintenance technician did a shoddy job, they don't just fire the tech and pat themselves on the back for a job well done. They look deeper. Is the shop understaffed? Do workers do too much overtime? Is training adequate? Are quotas set too high? Are the punishments for not making quota too onerous? Is there management pressure on workers to work too fast? Is there a pattern of falsification of records? Who falsifies them, the workers, or management? Is there active collusion between management and subordinates? Willful ignorance by the management of bad practices?

My wife is a nurse and she's been involved in investigations over malpractice. There is almost never a single individual solely responsible for such an incident. Usually it is a systemic failure where multiple people had a chance to catch it, or perhaps there was a process that was inadequate, or a cultural thing. Maybe the residents are overworked and tired, giving them a bad attitude, which makes nurses reluctant to report something they're not 100% sure about. Maybe the floor is understaffed. Maybe it's too easy to enter the wrong dose for a medicine in the computer system. So on.

When something like this happens, if the organization responsible tries to lay all the blame on one or two people, fire them, and wash their hands of it and say "let us take it from here" - that is not good enough. I want to see evidence that they've found the ROOT cause. If their story about 40 minutes doesn't hold water, and they're not investigating to find out whether it's actually the truth or not, that is a red flag that they might not be internalizing the seriousness of this, and that they might not be digging deep enough to effectively root out the real problem.

Business practices like personnel selection, safety policies and processes, and employee training all need to go under a microscope here. It is possible that the director themselves may have some level of culpability here. If it is a national chain, can the problem be traced to some policy pushed down from corporate HQ?

Last edited by orulz; 09-15-2019 at 07:56 PM..

Old 09-16-2019, 07:14 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
I believe we've been saying all along that the key is to make sure there are processes in place to ensure this doesn't happen again. And rather than go off on a vigilante campaign, OP should report it herself (as has been repeatedly recommended) to the authorities and let THEM do the investigation. This isn't their first rodeo. I'm sure they're aware that negligent parties sometimes/often minimize the incident. The point is, let them do their job and stop playing PI.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:28 AM

270 posts, read 379,668 times
I would think the Center where the movie was shown would be able to answer some of your questions. They would know whether a group came in on time to see a movie or not. And I would imagine if teachers were frantically running around for a small child that the Center was aware of it at the time too. They should have a good idea of the timeline.
I'm so glad your son is ok!

Old 11-12-2019, 03:11 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Two similar EMS calls heard on Scanner App today in Cary-Apex.

Kids locked in vehicle.

Somehow I bet the driver was busy with face-in-phone......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary