Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 03:44 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times

Advertisements

I see "Cited on Charge of No Operators License" tickets just about daily in the Cary PD daily summary.

Anyone know what the usual fine/punishment is for this?

Yes, they all have similar surnames.

Posted this after seeing two red-light runners on a brief grocery trip today in same town.

reports:
http://policereports.townofcary.org/dailybulletin.aspx

Last edited by K4GPB; 10-16-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 03:54 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
you got a link to these?

I assume they're issued a citation which requires them to show up to court. Most folks would get a valid license and bring that with them, an get the ticket dismissed with some amount of court costs possible.

Of course, if they DON'T show up for the ticket, I'm guessing they're found guilty, and in the case of an ongoing issue like this where you're supposed to have a license (ie, not a caught going 44 in a 35) perhaps a contempt order is given. Whether they pay attention to that or not is also in question.

What do you mean by "similar surname"? Jones, Johnson, Johnston?

Old 10-16-2019, 04:09 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you got a link to these?

I assume they're issued a citation which requires them to show up to court. Most folks would get a valid license and bring that with them, an get the ticket dismissed with some amount of court costs possible.

?
Considering you have to have a permit for year before you get a license, that is quite a tall order. i guess if you're over 18 you can challenge the test right off the bat, but I'm guessing someone who couldn't be bothered before is not gonna sit around the DMV and hope for the best on the test because they got a ticket.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:34 PM

263 posts, read 572,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
I see "Cited on Charge of No Operators License" tickets just about daily in the Cary PD daily summary.

Anyone know what the usual fine/punishment is for this?

Yes, they all have similar surnames.
The fine for "no operators license" is $50, plus $190 court costs. $240 total. If you show up in court with a valid license, the charge is almost always dropped.

With the reference to the surname, I assume you're talking about illegal/undocumented immigrants. Yes, without a social security number, you can't get a license in North Carolina. Of course, they're going to drive anyway (not having your own transportation seriously limits your work prospects around here). If they pay the $240, the case is done, and they'll probably keep driving. It's part of the cost of living if you don't have a license here.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:24 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
you got a link to these?

Of course, if they DON'T show up for the ticket, I'm guessing they're found guilty, and in the case of an ongoing issue like this where you're supposed to have a license (ie, not a caught going 44 in a 35) perhaps a contempt order is given. Whether they pay attention to that or not is also in question.

What do you mean by "similar surname"? Jones, Johnson, Johnston?
He means all hispanic names. Interestingly enough, I went through several days of citations and there were actually very few no operator's license by these criminals vs speeding, running red lights and other charges.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I went through it as well and found no such citations, which is why I asked Deputy Dawg for a link.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:49 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
I went through it as well and found no such citations, which is why I asked Deputy Dawg for a link.
You have to sort by type (citation/summons) and date. Then at the bottom of the page, you may have to select how many to show if there are more than 10. There are a few no operators licenses peppered in between all the other citations/summons.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:14 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
10/21, two more, no license, Chatham & Maynard!

Old 10-22-2019, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,193 times
My son was rear-ended in Cary a few weeks ago and his car totaled by a driver who didn't have a license...hers had been suspended for some reason. Cary PD gave her a citation, but then let her drive away from the scene. I was shocked that they just let her go, so called and talked to a supervisor who said there was nothing they could do about her getting in the vehicle driving away. I don't think it's too much for the officer to do what is necessary to make sure this unlicensed driver doesn't cause any more accidents, but apparently it's not of concern to Cary PD.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 AM

263 posts, read 572,611 times
If you didn't renew your license plate and were stopped and given a citation, would you expect the officer to let you drive away (still with an expired plate), or have the car towed?

The vast majority of license suspensions are administrative, such as for not paying a fine. Having a suspended license is not necessarily an indicator the person is a dangerous driver. As long as the vehicle had insurance, once the person is given a citation, what else should Cary PD have done? Given her another citation? It's not worth the trouble of making someone park their car, and then being partially responsible if something happens to them because they can't get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: