Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 01:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
You have been paying for insurance, so why not use it?

We had wind and hail damage and replaced ours last year. No issues with insurance.
Well my issue is this is a manufacturing defect not an insurance claim though. I just hate making everyone (including me) pay higher rates for something that is not our fault or the insurers. It's total BS.

It would be like filing a claim on your water heater because it was leaking. No one does that (only the damage from it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 01:37 PM

43,334 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well my issue is this is a manufacturing defect not an insurance claim though. I just hate making everyone (including me) pay higher rates for something that is not our fault or the insurers. It's total BS.

It would be like filing a claim on your water heater because it was leaking. No one does that (only the damage from it).

So, you have Certainteed Horizon Shangles?

Old 12-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, you have Certainteed Horizon Shangles?
Well that is what they told me. So I called CertainTeed and talked to a warranty guy. He explained how the shingles would look...mine are not "paper brown" or "white" which is the base used for either organic or fiberglass. So I think the scalpers are blowing smoke up my butt. But there is definitely a ton of granular loss which has been happening for years and there are numerous loose shingles. He thinks it mostly likely is due to hail accelerating the failure of the shingle. But I can't see the base so the shingle is still good structurally. So most likely the insurance CO would just have them glued down which I can do myself (it's pretty easy). Not sure how to proceed. I might call another company to come inspect as well. But the more we walk up there the more damage we do...

Old 12-11-2019, 02:23 PM

43,334 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Well that is what they told me. So I called CertainTeed and talked to a warranty guy. He explained how the shingles would look...mine are not "paper brown" or "white" which is the base used for either organic or fiberglass. So I think the scalpers are blowing smoke up my butt. But there is definitely a ton of granular loss which has been happening for years and there are numerous loose shingles. He thinks it mostly likely is due to hail accelerating the failure of the shingle. But I can't see the base so the shingle is still good structurally. So most likely the insurance CO would just have them glued down which I can do myself (it's pretty easy). Not sure how to proceed. I might call another company to come inspect as well. But the more we walk up there the more damage we do...

Loose shingles are an original workmanship issue. Roofers nail high and the nails don't catch underlying courses of shingles, and that also helps keep them from sealing down properly. Very typical of a great deal of new construction roofs. There is no roof inspection by builders or code officials, so it is open season for cheap roofers.

CT Horizon Shangles in this market are nearly certainly built on fiberglass mats. 95%+ of the problematic paper mat shingles were sold in the upper midwest.

The real issue, according to the roofers, is that the CT Horizon is a metric shingle. 39.3" long, and no longer available.
So, no other shingle will "make you whole."
A lot of roofers will not touch the roof unless they can replace the entire roof. I had one recently where we had a hard time getting a roofer to agree to go onto the roof to caulk exposed nails. Laughable.
The whole thing is a ridiculous carnival.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:28 PM

1,156 posts, read 942,918 times
Quote:
Yeah but I found a calculator and even if I filed at the five year mark in 2010 I'd only get like $800. I don't know how they can justify that...a new roof is like $10k.

Sounds about right after legal fees.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:35 PM

385 posts, read 349,266 times
Insurance does not pay claims for roofs that are just worn out. A few years ago the roofers came by offering to get our insurance company to replace roof. Even though we had not had wind or hail in our neighborhood, several people did get their roofs replaced. I guess it just takes a bit of moral flexibility.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Loose shingles are an original workmanship issue. Roofers nail high and the nails don't catch underlying courses of shingles, and that also helps keep them from sealing down properly. Very typical of a great deal of new construction roofs. There is no roof inspection by builders or code officials, so it is open season for cheap roofers.

CT Horizon Shangles in this market are nearly certainly built on fiberglass mats. 95%+ of the problematic paper mat shingles were sold in the upper midwest.

The real issue, according to the roofers, is that the CT Horizon is a metric shingle. 39.3" long, and no longer available.
So, no other shingle will "make you whole."
A lot of roofers will not touch the roof unless they can replace the entire roof. I had one recently where we had a hard time getting a roofer to agree to go onto the roof to caulk exposed nails. Laughable.
The whole thing is a ridiculous carnival.
Thanks for the info

The company in my neighborhood was Feazel...anytime I talk to any of these guys I get goose bumps...they reek of used car salesman. I dunno what to do.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:42 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,241,142 times
File the claim, get a new roof, and dump your existing homeowners insurance. A new insurer will give you a new roof discount since that's a major potential claim they won't be facing for the next 20 years.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,599,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcrasher View Post
Insurance does not pay claims for roofs that are just worn out. A few years ago the roofers came by offering to get our insurance company to replace roof. Even though we had not had wind or hail in our neighborhood, several people did get their roofs replaced. I guess it just takes a bit of moral flexibility.
Upon further research, that's what I'm concluding as well

Old 12-11-2019, 02:56 PM

I have had quite a bit of hail...we all probably have...it happens all the time here. With the wind yesterday and last night the siding on a few homes was even torn off lol. So you can blame anything on the weather it seems.

All I'm concerned about right now is if there is an issue beyond loose shingles that I can glue down. I'm trying to find another local roofer in my area to talk to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary