Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 06:54 AM

741 posts, read 3,512,162 times

Advertisements

I have finally sold my house in NJ. YEAH! We are going to rent for 6 months in Glenwood North, a townhome in Amber Clay. The assigned elementary is Stough, any info on this school, or this area we will be living in? I do know that it is real close to the hubby's new job on Glenwood. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM

136 posts, read 590,090 times
Congratulations!!!! Welcome to NC and N. Raleigh. I hope that this helps...

Stough Elementary School - Raleigh, North Carolina - NC - school overview
Stough Elementary School - Raleigh, North Carolina/NC - Public School Profile
School Directory: Stough Elementary

As for the area it should be good not really sure. There is plenty of shopping if you will be living off of capital blvd, glenwood ave, six forks or falls of neuse rd.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,120,753 times
Hi, my daughter (now 12) went to stough from KG-4thgrade. We enjoyed it while we were there, but my friends who live in that area have told me it's going downhill just a little from when we attended. The area the school is in is very nice. It's right behind Crabtree Mall on Edwards Mill Road. I think the area is really nice, and it's central to just about everything.
They did get a new principal since we attended, so I have no idea abou tthat. We loved the principal we had when we attended.
One thing that would concern me though is that Stough seems to have become a little bit of a "dumping ground" from other schools. There were 11 schools that did not meet AYP standards and I know that for MANY of those 11schools who were given the option to transfer out, Stough was the school they were allowed to go. Also back when the whole year round lawsuit was wrapping up and WCPSS was forced to allow YR students to transfer to traditional schools, again, Stough was at the top of the list as a transfer option for many of those schools. I really don't know WHY this is, because it's not like Stough was ever underenrolled, and in fact they even have a few mobile classrooms on site. My best *guess* is because of it's central location, otherwise, I haven't a clue. I would be a little worried about that if we were still there. I also noticed that the Free and reduced lunch population has increased there in the last few years as well and I wonder what that factor has to do with the fact that it's being offered as a transfer option for so many schools. I know alot of people in in our Neighborhood (where we lived then) was Oak Park and almost ALL of the kids who applied got into magnets somewhere both in elementary school and middle school.

Other than that: We enjoyed the teachers there, the parent participation was very high when we attended but I'd *guess* it's probably not as high anymore with so many kids being transferred in and bussed from God knows where. Also, there were a lot of parents who were sort of "groupie" PTA people who volunteered for anything and everything and many of those kids actually left and went to magnets.

Anyway, I hope that helps, email me if you have any more questions you think I might be able answer!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:47 PM

Thanks so much. Your very informative. I really have no clue as to magnet programs yet or really anything about how your schools work yet. I do have 1 gifted little girl, everything has alway's been so easy for her, everything. Then I have a learning disabled child, which everything is difficult for him. I have two opposite sides of the spectrum here.

Do you know if the Stough elementary has a good special ed program?

Another ? also, Does your state have the NC ask tests? We have or I should say had, beginning in 3rd grade the NJ ask tests, They were given these tests 3 months before school let out. I guess it measures what they know and goes on to compare with other students in the same grade across the state.

Thanks again

Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_info View Post
Congratulations!!!! Welcome to NC and N. Raleigh. I hope that this helps...

Stough Elementary School - Raleigh, North Carolina - NC - school overview
Stough Elementary School - Raleigh, North Carolina/NC - Public School Profile
School Directory: Stough Elementary

As for the area it should be good not really sure. There is plenty of shopping if you will be living off of capital blvd, glenwood ave, six forks or falls of neuse rd.
Great links, thanks.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,120,753 times
I have no idea about the quality of special ed. The AG program was pretty good though.

I think your "ask" test is our EOG Test (end of grade tests) and yes we have them starting in 3rd grade. They are standardized tests meant to measure "grade level" performance and used for comparison/statistical purposes. They are given in the last month of school starting in 3rd grade.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM

136 posts, read 590,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
Great links, thanks.
You are very much welcome! Good luck with everything.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,694 times
Default Stough Elementary

My son will be enrolling in Stough for kindergarden this year. It is a good school and I have only heard good things about it. It is not in the magnet program but, the teaching is traditional and runs on a traditional schedule---out in summer-- not year round. If you have any other questions about the area I live in the immediate vicinity in an older established neighborhood and would be happy to answer any questions. [MOD] removed [/MOD]
If you want more info on the school I would go to the wake county public school web site and they have scores etc. I would also visit the school. It seems to be very nice and the people seem so as well.
Becky

Last edited by autumngal; 03-20-2008 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 PM

68 posts, read 317,105 times
Hi patty nj
I also have a son starting K in the fall and our assigned school was Stough. I went to their orientation, took a tour of the school and met with their principal. I didnt care for the physical appearance of the school myself. It looked a little run down and dingy. There were also several trailers to the side of the school being used as classrooms. I absolutely hate this concept that they used to "fix" the over crowding issue. We decided to go with another school. Just my personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary