Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 11:40 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times

Advertisements

a 50 page survey? Or your closing package - deed, survey, loan documents etc?

We've been receiving digital copies of newly-drawn surveys for several years now, via email from the closing attorney. In almost every case, that's who orders the survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 11:46 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdust View Post
Thanks Mike for the explanation - I'm probably asking the wrong "data" question as I don't know what the county uses - as in the Wake County GIS property representation (data which I'm guessing is provided to Google Maps, etc).

surveys are not generally recorded. the info is not specifically uploaded into GIS (ie, the legal description of distances, degrees on a compass, etc). they're *probably* based on a plat map, which IS recorded.

the issue for GIS is that these features are LAYERS. None of them is accurate to an inch. You've got the boundary layers, then the "building footprint" (in Raleigh at least) and the topography. If you use imaps in Raleigh for ex, you will see the "building" layer where it frequently seems the house is onto the neighbors property. Folks have wondered about this for years. If the layer is off by a few %, that can easily magically "move" a house several feet.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 779,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
a 50 page survey? Or your closing package - deed, survey, loan documents etc?

We've been receiving digital copies of newly-drawn surveys for several years now, via email from the closing attorney. In almost every case, that's who orders the survey.
It was in a fat yellow envelop. With drawings and stuff.

Could have been together with all other closing docs... but I remember it being substantial. And, no, we didn't get it via email. Our attorney was a pretty old dude too. I wouldn't be surprised if he got the email and failed to forward it to us.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:20 PM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
Old thread I know, but just a little update. I had this house on my favorites list on Redfin so I could keep an eye on if the sale ever went through, and I just noticed that it appears it went through at the end of August for almost asking price. I hope Ms. Tyson is in her nice new house. She's probably glad to have new a new neighbor.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:40 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
Get it surveyed. When you do the teardown, cut the concrete and bulldoze his shrubs and the part of the driveway that is encroaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary