Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2021, 08:59 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,353,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbender View Post
Sitting at Hendrick Toyota in Apex waiting on service. Most everyone wearing a mask.
Private business can still require masks, not sure if that is the case there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 09:06 AM

140 posts, read 88,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Private business can still require masks, not sure if that is the case there.
Doesn’t seem to be the case here. I don’t see any signs up at all.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:40 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,840,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Durham's vaccinated population percentage, currently at 40.5%, is not nearly high enough for me to feel like I should ditch the mask. It's not only about protecting me, it's also about helping those unvaccinated people continue to feel comfortable wearing a mask if they're really just hesitant to get the vaccine but might still be convinced to get it.
Not sure where you got your numbers, but as of Friday, 53.7% of Durham County has gotten the first dose of the vaccine. 48.7% are fully vaccinated.

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/vaccinations

Scroll down and hover over Durham County on the map.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:16 AM

599 posts, read 335,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Not sure where you got your numbers, but as of Friday, 53.7% of Durham County has gotten the first dose of the vaccine. 48.7% are fully vaccinated.

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/vaccinations

Scroll down and hover over Durham County on the map.
I got 40.5% from the Durham County Coronavirus Data Hub: https://durhampublichealth-durhamnc....2c4ca62cccb410
The Durham hub's data appears to be a week behind (last updated 5/24/21), but otherwise it's not clear why there's such a discrepancy in the numbers unless that huge jump really did come in the last week. The statewide link is reporting about 30,000 more fully vaccinated people in Durham County than the Durham County link does.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:32 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,071,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Vaccinated people wearing masks also doesn't help very much when it comes to vaccination rates. If I were on the fence about getting the vaccine, my decision would be made if I saw so many vaccinated people out and about every day that don't trust the vaccine to keep them safe.
AI/ML Modelling study using NC as a test bed for the idea that vaccines alone will solve what ails us.

As long as we don't reach herd immunity (and at this point that seems unlikely as a state or country) vaccines alone will seemingly not stop the disease and sickness.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...ticle/2780539?

Old 06-01-2021, 11:43 AM

1,204 posts, read 785,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It’s been interesting to see how many people are still wearing masks out there. I guess “science” only is in play when it makes people feel less anxious. It’s a shame what the media has done to people’s mental well-being - it will be a while before some recover.

Why do you care? If they want to wear it because they think they are safer that way -- how does that affect you personally? There is literally like 0 issues with these people wearing masks. ZERO. When anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers do not follow the rules there WERE legitimate concerns, public health issues with that. They spread the virus and now they won't let us reach herd immunity. But, when it's about them, it somehow becomes about their liberty and Freedom... So what's different? How about the liberty and freedom of people who are now wearing masks? Do you judge people who wear shorts in January? Not your body, not your business. If they want to wear masks, who cares? When I see people wearing masks even in safe areas (outdoors) I assume they have certain issues or they do not feel comfortable without it.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:44 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,315,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Why do you care? If they want to wear it because they think they are safer that way -- how does that affect you personally? There is literally like 0 issues with these people wearing masks. ZERO. When anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers do not follow the rules there WERE legitimate concerns, public health issues with that. They spread the virus and now they won't let us reach herd immunity. But, when it's about them, it somehow becomes about their liberty and Freedom... So what's different? How about the liberty and freedom of people who are now wearing masks? Do you judge people who wear shorts in January? Not your body, not your business. If they want to wear masks, who cares? When I see people wearing masks even in safe areas, I assume they have certain issue or they do not feel comfortable without it. What does media have do with this?
Already answered that.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:46 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,840,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
I got 40.5% from the Durham County Coronavirus Data Hub: https://durhampublichealth-durhamnc....2c4ca62cccb410
The Durham hub's data appears to be a week behind (last updated 5/24/21), but otherwise it's not clear why there's such a discrepancy in the numbers unless that huge jump really did come in the last week. The statewide link is reporting about 30,000 more fully vaccinated people in Durham County than the Durham County link does.
It's possible they are only counting the doses that were administered by the state and aren't including the federal doses. The NCDHHS site was reporting them separately before and defaulted to the NC-administered doses on the screen, which was confusing. Now they show the total doses, regardless of who gave them. In any case, there wasn't a huge jump in doses administered in the last week. Each county is adding maybe 1/10 of 1% per day - I've been following the NC numbers daily. So the good news is that Durham County is more vaccinated than you thought!

Old 06-01-2021, 12:58 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,973,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It's possible they are only counting the doses that were administered by the state and aren't including the federal doses. The NCDHHS site was reporting them separately before and defaulted to the NC-administered doses on the screen, which was confusing. Now they show the total doses, regardless of who gave them. In any case, there wasn't a huge jump in doses administered in the last week. Each county is adding maybe 1/10 of 1% per day - I've been following the NC numbers daily. So the good news is that Durham County is more vaccinated than you thought!
Do the county vaccine counts reflect vaccinations done in the county, or residents of the county that have been vaccinated? As Durham and Orange counties have been the sites of mass vaccinations, I suspect if it is the former the numbers will be elevated.

Old 06-01-2021, 01:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,824,707 times
Today at the WakeMed system: COVID-19 census is only 16 (includes both general medical and ICU). Don't have the Duke and UNC numbers.

We are well on our way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary