Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 09:08 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,820,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You left out the part that in the vast majority of the very rare cases where someone does contract it, the symptoms are minor or non-existent.

The risk-tolerance bar is set so low for some people as a result of the pandemic - I think it's horrible, but never gets mentioned. At this point I think the fear pandemic outweighs the covid pandemic. It's not a healthy way to live.
Some of us are concerned for our elderly parents or our friends who are immunocompromised. I am not worried for myself who is middle age with no major health concerns, as I am vaccinated. But my parents who are in their 80s and my friend who has MS and my other friend who has stage 4 cancer are still at risk even with being vaccinated. I want them to enjoy the rest of their lives, too. Most of them are being reasonable but still mask up when they go out because there are unvaccinated who are irresponsible and spout conspiracy theories as to why they won't get the vaccine and also won't mask. If my elderly parents or friends who are on immunotherapy drugs catch Covid, it may not be a minor case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 09:16 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,299,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Some of us are concerned for our elderly parents or our friends who are immunocompromised. I am not worried for myself who is middle age with no major health concerns, as I am vaccinated. But my parents who are in their 80s and my friend who has MS and my other friend who has stage 4 cancer are still at risk even with being vaccinated. I want them to enjoy the rest of their lives, too. Most of them are being reasonable but still mask up when they go out because there are unvaccinated who are irresponsible and spout conspiracy theories as to why they won't get the vaccine and also won't mask. If my elderly parents or friends who are on immunotherapy drugs catch Covid, it may not be a minor case.
But it's always been that way for immunocompromised people. People with those kind of issues unfortunately need to be very careful regardless of Covid. However nobody ever berated people for not getting flu vaccines or wearing masks.

It is what it is. It's another virus that we will need to live with, and I don't see why it should be treated any differently when numbers are very low as they are now, and hopefully will continue to be. I know it's fresh and people are still scared, but it's time to end that fear and get back to normal lives.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
But it's always been that way for immunocompromised people. People with those kind of issues unfortunately need to be very careful regardless of Covid. However nobody ever berated people for not getting flu vaccines or wearing masks.

It is what it is. It's another virus that we will need to live with, and I don't see why it should be treated any differently when numbers are very low as they are now, and hopefully will continue to be. I know it's fresh and people are still scared, but it's time to end that fear and get back to normal lives.
Covid numbers are very low now because of those of us who got vaccinated. Yes, they need to be careful with flu, but flu is not nearly as contagious, isn't as deadly, and doesn't last the whole year.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Covid numbers are very low now because of those of us who got vaccinated. Yes, they need to be careful with flu, but flu is not nearly as contagious, isn't as deadly, and doesn't last the whole year.
I don't understand your point. So because you chose to get vaccinated that gives you the right to berate those that don't?

Covid numbers aren't low only due to vaccinations. Those who have had Covid have immunity as well.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I don't understand your point. So because you chose to get vaccinated that gives you the right to berate those that don't?

Covid numbers aren't low only due to vaccinations. Those who have had Covid have immunity as well.
Huh? Who did I berate? Absolutely no one! We were having a discussion. My husband's cousins were over this past weekend. They haven't been vaccinated. I didn't say a word to them about it. Yes, those who have had Covid add to the immunity, but those who have been vaccinated constitute the vast majority of immunized people.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Huh? Who did I berate? Absolutely no one! We were having a discussion. My husband's cousins were over this past weekend. They haven't been vaccinated. I didn't say a word to them about it. Yes, those who have had Covid add to the immunity, but those who have been vaccinated constitute the vast majority of immunized people.
You were defending Zitsky who was saying it's his/her business when people don't get vaccinated. That would lead me to believe you are unhappy with people that choose to not get vaccinated.

Anyway, whatever. Same argument different day.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
You were defending Zitsky who was saying it's his/her business when people don't get vaccinated. That would lead me to believe you are unhappy with people that choose to not get vaccinated.

Anyway, whatever. Same argument different day.
Am I unhappy that more people aren't getting vaccinated? Yes. I am berating them for it? No

And I just answered the question you asked (for Zitsky) about whether he doesn't trust the vaccine. I've seen that question numerous times by various people, and it seems like a strawman question when we all know that the vaccine isn't foolproof.

I support taking a smart, educated approach as to whether to take a new vaccine. And I understand people are fearful of the unknown, but Covid is as much of an unknown as the vaccine is. I also know that some people don't understand the math regarding the risk of getting sick from Covid versus the risk of getting sick from the vaccine. It's no coincidence that the higher educated people are more likely to get the vaccine. Having a mature, informed discussion about it can help those people learn more and make a more educated choice.

There are also some people who refuse to have any discussion about pros and cons of vaccinating because they believe conspiracy theories about the vaccine manufacturer, backer, ingredients, etc. I am angry that these same people aren't taking the vaccine because they are brainwashed by lies rather than by legitimate concerns. Having said all that, I have never berated anyone online or in person with what they decide to do with their body regarding the Covid vaccine.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:48 AM

371 posts, read 234,777 times
Quote:
There are also some people who refuse to have any discussion about pros and cons of vaccinating because they believe conspiracy theories about the vaccine manufacturer, backer, ingredients, etc. I am angry that these same people aren't taking the vaccine because they are brainwashed by lies rather than by legitimate concerns. Having said all that, I have never berated anyone online or in person with what they decide to do with their body regarding the Covid vaccine.
People who haven't gotten vaccinated are bringing up legitimate concerns on a daily basis but you're too busy dismissing them as conspiracy theories.

The Wuhan Lab leak was dismissed as conspiracy theory, as many inconvenient truths are.

Bottom line: risk versus benefit. For a significant percentage of the population, there just isn't any reason to get it. Personally I don't think the risk of complications is terribly high, but at the same time I don't see much health benefit to getting it either. I'd probably feel worse from the shot than I would if I were asymptomatic.

I am selfish when it comes to making personal health decisions because it is MY body and I am the only one who has to live in it. I would hope and expect that everyone else does the same, regardless of how much virtue signaling they do in public.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:08 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,080,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
People who haven't gotten vaccinated are bringing up legitimate concerns on a daily basis but you're too busy dismissing them as conspiracy theories.

The Wuhan Lab leak was dismissed as conspiracy theory, as many inconvenient truths are.

Bottom line: risk versus benefit. For a significant percentage of the population, there just isn't any reason to get it. Personally I don't think the risk of complications is terribly high, but at the same time I don't see much health benefit to getting it either. I'd probably feel worse from the shot than I would if I were asymptomatic.

I am selfish when it comes to making personal health decisions because it is MY body and I am the only one who has to live in it. I would hope and expect that everyone else does the same, regardless of how much virtue signaling they do in public.

What are those legitimate concerns? I can think of one, vaccines aren't perfect. Still a good idea to get one.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:37 AM

371 posts, read 234,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
What are those legitimate concerns? I can think of one, vaccines aren't perfect. Still a good idea to get one.
No it really isn't a good idea for everyone to get one. You're equivocating.

Why are your safety concerns more valid than someone else's?

"The vaccine isn't 100% effective against COVID" is an admission of your own safety concerns. No, it isn't 100% but its still quite effective.

"Vaccines can cause [insert rare but serious side effect] so I'm not going to take it" is an admission of safety concerns. No, vaccines are not without some risk, but that doesn't make them risky per se.

There's no reason vaccine manufacturer's should be exempted from legal liability if their products cause harm. I think their having immunity creates vaccine hesitancy.

If the vaccine is worth it for most people, it will be a no brainer decision. If it isn't worth it people won't get it. The only way to increase participation would be to restrict people's liberties. Not a path we should be going down, but some are cheering it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary