Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2021, 04:28 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Not necessarily Triangle related specifically, but Eric is one of the experts my buddy at Merck told me about when this thing started last year and have been following him on twitter since.

I know Bo asked about his daughter and her second dose a few pages back. This thread covers what they are finding with the Delta variant (India) and how it evades single dose vaccines.

Ill be keeping an eye on this space. UK just extended their lockdown (or at least cancelled the lifting of it) because Delta is running wild there. Gulf coast seems ripe for the picking this summer as Delta becomes the dominant strain.

If this comes to pass, I hope people keep this in mind if chit hits the fan and lockdowns become a thing again.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...764381186?s=20
the youngest hasn't gotten #2 yet (Pfizer). Bad news/good news - her friend got #2 and reported "tremors and a 104 temp". I saw her Dad 2 days later and he said "she had the chills from a fever and was never higher than 100.4". Dramatic teens?

It seems difficult/confusing to get info on antibody tests. Her ped office (well, the receptionist) gave me a flat "We don't do those, and don't know who does". Is the CVS minute-clinic one gonna give you a "level", or just a yes/no?

And, without going overboard, that Dr Eric is not a trustworthy "expert", unless he's come clean and become non-political in the last 6 months. I doubt it, since fame = power = a drug.

Quote:
Feigl-Ding holds doctorates in both epidemiology and nutrition, with his professional experience in nutritional epidemiology and epidemiology of chronic disease.[7][10][11] Since this professional experience and research work are not in infectious disease epidemiology, the subfield most relevant to COVID-19, Feigl-Ding has been criticized for offering viral social media and other media commentary on the COVID-19 pandemic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 04:49 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the youngest hasn't gotten #2 yet (Pfizer). Bad news/good news - her friend got #2 and reported "tremors and a 104 temp". I saw her Dad 2 days later and he said "she had the chills from a fever and was never higher than 100.4". Dramatic teens?

It seems difficult/confusing to get info on antibody tests. Her ped office (well, the receptionist) gave me a flat "We don't do those, and don't know who does". Is the CVS minute-clinic one gonna give you a "level", or just a yes/no?

And, without going overboard, that Dr Eric is not a trustworthy "expert", unless he's come clean and become non-political in the last 6 months. I doubt it, since fame = power = a drug.
So you believe that a person's political persuasion impacts their "expert" level?

Did you even read the referenced footnotes denoted by [7][10][11] in your Wikipedia search for him? Or you just good with a line that you found without finding the source of the line?

ETA - as for your daughter, I wish her nothing but the best outcome with whatever she and your family decide is the best course of action.

Last edited by GVoR; 06-14-2021 at 05:01 PM..

Old 06-14-2021, 04:52 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

My 16yr old had similar symptoms from both Pfizer shots - about 10 hours of low grade fever and chills. 20 yr old only had it with 2nd shot. My wife and I had no side effects with either shot other than a sore arm. My 18 yr old isn't going to get the vaccine at this point.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
I just went to a gathering of about 10 people indoors. Everyone had their vaccines except I found out one had not. This person had Covid 3 times and has recovered and was told they didn’t need the vaccine because they had had Covid and therefore had the antibodies. Is this true? I thought everyone who had Covid was advised to get the vaccine. Should I be worried?

Old 06-14-2021, 05:51 PM

140 posts, read 87,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I just went to a gathering of about 10 people indoors. Everyone had their vaccines except I found out one had not. This person had Covid 3 times and has recovered and was told they didn’t need the vaccine because they had had Covid and therefore had the antibodies. Is this true? I thought everyone who had Covid was advised to get the vaccine. Should I be worried?
Talk to your doctor.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:03 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
As stringbender said, I’d check with your doc. I would not be concerned if I was vaxxed…even more so if it was a “had” and not a “has”, but I’m not a medical professional.

My BiL had COVID just after XMas. He was advised to get vaccinated.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
It certainly seems like the most insidious variant to date. Higher transmission, higher hospitalization rates, goes after the olds who are vaccinated, affects kids (Singapore, one of the most advanced societies on the planet, rang the bell on this a month ago) and gets around the single shot non mRNA vaccines (and apparently drops the first dose of Pfizer/Moderna from 80-90% efficacy to about 35% efficacy).
the over-simplified answer is "shouldn't have cried wolf so many times".

And I recognize it as possibly oversimplified. I haven't checked any stats (outside of India) in 60 days. Maybe this is worse than Covid itself (first variant).

But if one cannot understand/fathom how others can hear "Wolf!!!" many many times and the wolf never appear, then that's on them, not the ones who quit listening to the shepherd boy.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
So you believe that a person's political persuasion impacts their "expert" level?

Did you even read the referenced footnotes denoted by [7][10][11] in your Wikipedia search for him? Or you just good with a line that you found without finding the source of the line?

ETA - as for your daughter, I wish her nothing but the best outcome with whatever she and your family decide is the best course of action.
you and I are "cool".

I just happen to have looked into Dr Eric early on, and it was difficult to separate his professional (and not a long-term epidemiologist) from his partisan position. As I said, maybe he's changed. As of 3 weeks or so ago, Dr Gottlieb had changed his tune measurably.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
My 16yr old had similar symptoms from both Pfizer shots - about 10 hours of low grade fever and chills. 20 yr old only had it with 2nd shot. My wife and I had no side effects with either shot other than a sore arm. My 18 yr old isn't going to get the vaccine at this point.
and therein lies the rub. Is it "worth the risk right now". It's all personal risk consideration. And not just "can I get it", but "who will I be around long enough that if I was asymptomatic but infected could THEY get Covid"?

I had a worse reaction to the shingles #2 in December than I did to either Covid.
Covid #2, having dealt w/shingles vax, I went ahead and popped 2 Advil at the earliest onset of a temp.

Wife - basically no issues.
Oldest - well, she had undiagnosed (ie, tested) Covid last August/Sept. She already had antibodies. She got the J&J at UNC.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
if they got Covid a 3rd time, that would be a ridiculously small subset. Like literally 1 in 200 million. And it would be worse for them (no immunity) than for those they were around.

Unless of course, they were idiots and were currently an active infection but went out and about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary