Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 06:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times

Advertisements

in Israel .... 84% of "breakthrough" case hospitalizations are folks > 60 yrs old. In Oregon(?) the median age is mid-80's.

And even those > 60 currently hospitalized in Israel are like 2/10,000 of the vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 06:06 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
The Covid-19 Coronavirus variants are MUCH more similar to each other than current influenza variants. The vaccines that are used to treat them are vastly different as well. We can still nip many COVID variants in the bud with a single shot on goal if it’s powerful enough. Influenza has always had several different strains circulating, with some dying off and some new ones emerging. Currently there is a Quadravalent vaccine which gives you 4 chances to nip what may be circulating, and that’s fairly recent—both can give certain cross-protection if not 100% on target.

That said, get you flu shot—it’s available now. If you haven’t already, get your Pfizer or Moderna COVID shot, and a booster after 2nd dose+8 months. The more folks who do this, the quicker this ceases to be a pandemic, and the quicker my kids can see a normal school year.
My kids are having a very normal school year in charter and private schools now. Didn’t want to go that route, but based on this farce around Delta variant and the constant moving of the goal posts, it was the only way to insure a quality educational experience.

Can’t wait for boosters 2, 3, 4, etc. I’d also like rigorous reporting on the common cold and flu.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:55 AM

1,204 posts, read 779,308 times
Yes, I agree about the booster shots. Give them to those who need it, those with compromised immune systems. But healthy adults who already got two shots of the vaccine? No way. We need more data. I haven't read one thing saying that it's necessary for healthy people who are already vaccinated. We need to get this virus weakened by making the rest of the world vaccinated. Otherwise we continue getting variants because majority of other nations are not vaccinated. The delta variant came from India, if I remember correctly. What keeps other variants spreading like this? The vaccine. Get people vaccinated instead of vaccinating all of us for the third or the fourth time.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:04 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
My kids are having a very normal school year in charter and private schools now. Didn’t want to go that route, but based on this farce around Delta variant and the constant moving of the goal posts, it was the only way to insure a quality educational experience.

Can’t wait for boosters 2, 3, 4, etc. I’d also like rigorous reporting on the common cold and flu.
In what context is Delta…..a farce?

Old 08-19-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
In what context is Delta…..a farce?
In the context that the media is reporting it like it’s the Bubonic Plague.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I stopped caring for what media says during Obama years. It was obvious they all lost their minds and would just report on things that would draw traffic into their sites/network. Every headlines reads like it has "holy s*it!" or "OMFG" in front of it. So sensationalist. I read actual articles, make up my own mind and follow smart people on twitter (basically the only social media I have).

Having said that I do believe Delta is pretty serious, and the people who haven't got vaccinated should get it done ASAP. It's not a joke and there is no reason to get Covid and suffer Long Covid until who knows when. But, I am absolutely hating this non scientific approach to this whole thing. I am back at work 2 days a week and the vaccination rate at my office is about 99%. There are two immunocompromised people (cancer survivors) who got exempted and they are 100% WFH. We are told to wear masks. My immediate team are all child free. Either empty nesters or people who do not have kids at all. You can't get to our office space without badging in. At any given day, you only have about 30% of people there and they spread out. So why are we wearing masks for 8 hours a day?

Old 08-19-2021, 09:39 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I stopped caring for what media says during Obama years. It was obvious they all lost their minds and would just report on things that would draw traffic into their sites/network. Every headlines reads like it has "holy s*it!" or "OMFG" in front of it. So sensationalist. I read actual articles, make up my own mind and follow smart people on twitter (basically the only social media I have).
That's great, but not the case for probably 95% of the country. The mainstream media is not doing what is best for the country, and that's a huge part of the problem and why so many are living in a state of fear. It will be hard to ever leave this behind when the risk tolerance of so many has been destroyed.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That's great, but not the case for probably 95% of the country. The mainstream media is not doing what is best for the country, and that's a huge part of the problem and why so many are living in a state of fear. It will be hard to ever leave this behind when the risk tolerance of so many has been destroyed.

I don't know. I do not have a cable. I feel like PBS is pretty non-biased, non sensationalist source. I watch that for free. I also have subscription to PBS passport, it's $5 a month. I never use it and consider it just a donation to PBS. But, if I wasn't a sucker for streaming services, I'd just stick with PBS/PBS Passport. TV wise, between the daily News Hour and weekly Democracy Now! I get everything I need to stay up with the news.

All I am saying is that non sensationalist news sources exist, people just do not choose to watch them. They are now trained to be entertained by talking heads who just feed them fear and anger.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:36 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
So something is a farce because Americans want “ZOMG!!!!!” media?

Media in this country gives the people what they demand. Not sure I’ve watched more than a couple of hours of local news since I moved here. If I could get youtubetv without FNC, CNN and MSNBC I would.

My advice, find sources that provide the info you need without the fluff to make decisions and leave the big boys to die or adjust.

Giving them your eyeballs and clicks won’t ever change the the behavior you clearly have an issue (rightfully) with.

It’s odd to continue to consume when what you’re consuming gives you agita. Borderline S&M

Old 08-19-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
So something is a farce because Americans want “ZOMG!!!!!” media?

Media in this country gives the people what they demand. Not sure I’ve watched more than a couple of hours of local news since I moved here. If I could get youtubetv without FNC, CNN and MSNBC I would.

My advice, find sources that provide the info you need without the fluff to make decisions and leave the big boys to die or adjust.

Giving them your eyeballs and clicks won’t ever change the the behavior you clearly have an issue (rightfully) with.

It’s odd to continue to consume when what you’re consuming gives you agita. Borderline S&M
Trust me, I’ve stopped watching and being a sheep a long time ago. My issue is that a majority have not and this then shapes our local government policies and mandates, school boards, etc . Clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary