Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2021, 08:55 AM

4,593 posts, read 3,794,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I have a physician in my family who said this exact thing to me today. Actually she went further and said she is solidly anti-mask for the vaccinated despite delta. She feels the focus on masks takes the focus off vaccines and will keep people from getting vaccinated (I don't agree on that point). She's a bit of a controversial figure in her city, has spoken out and still is, does not think kids are at increased risk. She's contradicting a lot of other physicians so it's frustrating for me to sort it all out.

Edited to add her entire family got COVID last year.

I am currently on a cross-country road trip (am typing from Nevada) and I have let my mask use slip, I admit. Probably not great of me to do. I dunno

I would probably agree with her to some point - people who are against vaccines will wear a mask and think that is 100% effective. It is effective, but nowhere like a vaccine.

Frankly, I'm tired. I'm going into the hospital and now "rounding" on 26 COVID-19+ patients, 6 of them are in the ICU. None of my 26 patients are vaccinated! There are now over 150 COVID-19+ patients admitted now (AND YES, THEY ARE FOR COVID REASONS, they can hardly breathe).

See? How does that make you anti-vaxxers on this group feel? Again, I try my hardest to ignore but when I see these 26 people today and they have NOT taken the vaccine, it is NOT easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 09:45 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,623,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I would probably agree with her to some point - people who are against vaccines will wear a mask and think that is 100% effective. It is effective, but nowhere like a vaccine.
Thank you for explaining this - she didn't - and I was annoyed that I was having to have the conversation during this drive yesterday. I get it.

Thinking of you and all of the healthcare workers who are dealing with this and the astronomical emotional stress on all of you.

Old 08-22-2021, 05:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 782,747 times
Quote:

Frankly, I'm tired. I'm going into the hospital and now "rounding" on 26 COVID-19+ patients, 6 of them are in the ICU. None of my 26 patients are vaccinated! There are now over 150 COVID-19+ patients admitted now (AND YES, THEY ARE FOR COVID REASONS, they can hardly breathe).

See? How does that make you anti-vaxxers on this group feel? Again, I try my hardest to ignore but when I see these 26 people today and they have NOT taken the vaccine, it is NOT easy.

Are you noticing anyone actually taking the vaccine upon discharge or even while being admitted? Are attendings allowed to suggest/recommend the vaccine as the part of care?

As for yourself, are you and your team getting the third dose soon? I hope you do so that you do not get infected.

Thank you for all you do! It must be so devastating and discouraging to see all these idiots not doing the right thing, but I hope it'll get better for you soon.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:33 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,264,529 times
Quote:

As best I can tell, only Starflow(?) is anti-vaxx. I know my entire family is vaxxed. Who are "you anti-vaxxers"?

Old 08-22-2021, 06:44 PM

According to that NPR link I provided, it seems that Duke Raleigh is way over-represented by Covid patients. I wonder why that is?

The link won't go to the Wake hospitals specifically, so just hover on Wake, then click. And I'm not going to spend 15 minutes formatting it.

But Duke Raleigh's is reporting 100% ICU usage by Covid. Rex is 11% and Big WakeMed is 25%. WM Cary is 74%. Duke Raleigh has the lowest daily Covid intake of the 4 large hospitals in Wake County.

None of that is to doubt what HB is telling us. I think it's just instructive to see how fragmented (for lack of a better word) the hospitalization is, even within an urbanized county.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:06 PM

1,228 posts, read 801,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
According to that NPR link I provided, it seems that Duke Raleigh is way over-represented by Covid patients. I wonder why that is?

The link won't go to the Wake hospitals specifically, so just hover on Wake, then click. And I'm not going to spend 15 minutes formatting it.

But Duke Raleigh's is reporting 100% ICU usage by Covid. Rex is 11% and Big WakeMed is 25%. WM Cary is 74%. Duke Raleigh has the lowest daily Covid intake of the 4 large hospitals in Wake County.

None of that is to doubt what HB is telling us. I think it's just instructive to see how fragmented (for lack of a better word) the hospitalization is, even within an urbanized county.
The data you are referencing is a mess, and is very unreliable . Actual numbers have many of these hospitals approaching levels seen during last peek, and in some cases forecasted to exceed them within the month. I can’t get into the details, but I’m seriously concerned about availability of beds for any non COVID-19 emergent issues for my own family, not just here in Wake, but in a number of Southern counties and states. I have HCP family treating COVID on the verge of a nervous breakdown in Louisiana, and am working to ensure my family has access to regular and emergent care in Georgia. We are starting to see breakdowns in modern, civilized care due to acute point scarcity, in what many see as the most advanced society on earth. And this current surge WAS ENTIRELY PREVENTABLE. I have zero sympathy for vaccine refusers at this moment. The pinch will be in the next month, but I can’t see many people and institutions really learning from this.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:38 AM

22,700 posts, read 36,895,150 times
I don’t agree the anti vaxxers think they are ok because they are wearing masks. Anti vax and anti mask go hand in hand. They were the first ones crowing about taking off their masks when the mandate was dropped.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:00 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,300,320 times
WRAL is just unbelievable. Here’s their headline this morning:

https://www.wral.com/covid-19-cluste...lass/19838185/

You could run a story about how excited and thankful kids are to be going back to school in person, or you can try to scare people. Smh

Old 08-23-2021, 06:21 AM

22,700 posts, read 36,895,150 times
Yes their fear mongering is out of control. My HS senior was more than happy be up before the sun and join the senior parade and get the candy they were handing out at school!

Old 08-23-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
The data you are referencing is a mess, and is very unreliable . Actual numbers have many of these hospitals approaching levels seen during last peek...
we can only deal with what we are provided. Is there a different site for more accurate info than the NPR site, the NCDHHS site, the CDC site, and the Johns Hopkins site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary