Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 08:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,299,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
From what I can tell, half the states are reporting this metric. As for why we aren’t, I could see reasons from the “eye roll inducing” wing where we don’t have the data collection/processing/visualization chops to make it happen (given we are a massive rural state with specks of human population centers surrounded by nether regions all the way to the “geeeeez” wing where leaders have decided reporting on such things would do nothing to help the vax rates here (which probably says more about the populace and their apparent non understanding of what a vaccine with less than 100% efficacy tangibly means)

Neither is really a great look (nor any reason in between) especially if we want to think of ourselves as a “real” state.
I think the data is out there, cause after a quick google search I did find articles which talked about breakthroughs. For whatever reason it's just not being reported with all the other data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 09:55 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,066,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think the data is out there, cause after a quick google search I did find articles which talked about breakthroughs. For whatever reason it's just not being reported with all the other data.
Well that’s lame. It’s a data point, like any other.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:04 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,949,620 times
I think we should be receiving that type of data. I know of other places that provide it on their dashboards. You would think that if they are collecting it why not share it? I have my feelings on why they are not though.

I also wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on all these vacations right before school starts. I know of several families that are traveling right now and not only are many family members not vaccinated they are non mask wearers as well. I think we are headed in a very bad direction with the start of this new school year :-(

Old 08-18-2021, 01:32 PM

Lots of talk about boosters lately. Another question I had, are they actively working on a booster which helps to stop the spread of Delta? The booster they want everyone to get starting in September, is the same vaccine which we already got, the vaccine that we know does not stop the spread of Delta among the vaccinated. Why don't we hear anything about active development of modified vaccines? Am I missing it?

Old 08-18-2021, 02:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 801,877 times
Quote:
…the vaccine that we know does not stop the spread of Delta among the vaccinated…
The current mRNA vaccines are effective against delta (both in lowering the chances of getting it and also becoming infectious, and of having serious outcomes if infected), just not as effective as with the previous strains that were circulating when they came out. The doses were lower, and effectiveness can wane over time with some vaccines (not just with a new variant). Hence the booster (give more dose to overcome greater infectiousness of delta, and bump effectiveness for longer). The spread of delta could have been stopped if there had been sufficient numbers vaccinated to begin with with the mRNA vaccines. The vaccine refusers are the main barrier to stopping the spread of Covid-19, boosters secondary to that. If we can gain a threshold of immunity across both groups, we can put the fire out. COVID will likely never go away, so it may become a standard yearly vaccine like influenza, or eventually mutate to something with less serious outcomes not requiring drastic pandemic response.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
The current mRNA vaccines are effective against delta (both in lowering the chances of getting it and also becoming infectious, and of having serious outcomes if infected), just not as effective as with the previous strains that were circulating when they came out. The doses were lower, and effectiveness can wane over time with some vaccines (not just with a new variant). Hence the booster (give more dose to overcome greater infectiousness of delta, and bump effectiveness for longer). The spread of delta could have been stopped if there had been sufficient numbers vaccinated to begin with with the mRNA vaccines. The vaccine refusers are the main barrier to stopping the spread of Covid-19, boosters secondary to that. If we can gain a threshold of immunity across both groups, we can put the fire out. COVID will likely never go away, so it may become a standard yearly vaccine like influenza, or eventually mutate to something with less serious outcomes not requiring drastic pandemic response.
Agree, but the yearly flu vaccine is targeted toward their best guess at what variant will be most active. Are we working on targeting Delta? It seems like there could be some work done to make a better vaccine when it comes to Delta specifically.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:16 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,262,258 times
I haven't seen anyone post this, and though some would interested. "interactive" Covid ICU heat map

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-full-is-yours

Old 08-18-2021, 04:31 PM

936 posts, read 767,365 times
Quote:
Agree, but the yearly flu vaccine is targeted toward their best guess at what variant will be most active. Are we working on targeting Delta?
Yes:

Pfizer and BioNTech announced Thursday they are developing a Covid-19 booster shot intended to target the delta variant as concerns rise about the highly transmissible strain that is already the dominant form of the disease in the United States.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/pfiz...a-variant.html

Old 08-18-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Yes:

Pfizer and BioNTech announced Thursday they are developing a Covid-19 booster shot intended to target the delta variant as concerns rise about the highly transmissible strain that is already the dominant form of the disease in the United States.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/pfiz...a-variant.html
Good to see, but probably too little too late. I realize it’s probably difficult when the virus is mutating quickly.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:25 PM

1,228 posts, read 801,877 times
The Covid-19 Coronavirus variants are MUCH more similar to each other than current influenza variants. The vaccines that are used to treat them are vastly different as well. We can still nip many COVID variants in the bud with a single shot on goal if it’s powerful enough. Influenza has always had several different strains circulating, with some dying off and some new ones emerging. Currently there is a Quadravalent vaccine which gives you 4 chances to nip what may be circulating, and that’s fairly recent—both can give certain cross-protection if not 100% on target.

That said, get you flu shot—it’s available now. If you haven’t already, get your Pfizer or Moderna COVID shot, and a booster after 2nd dose+8 months. The more folks who do this, the quicker this ceases to be a pandemic, and the quicker my kids can see a normal school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary