Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 10:36 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,956,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
What are people's take on this infographic around mask efficacy?

ACGIH.ORG

Taken at face value, a cloth mask is beneficial if you will be around someone for less than 30 minutes (short errand, grocery store, exposure to random retail customer) but not helpful for constant longer duration exposures (1-2hr meeting in same room, co-workers side by side, in person classes, etc.).

https://ibb.co/B27hbtk
I wonder when the CDC put that together because I believe studies are finding that the Delta variant can be transmitted even quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 11:14 AM

4,190 posts, read 4,913,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
What are people's take on this infographic around mask efficacy?

ACGIH.ORG

Taken at face value, a cloth mask is beneficial if you will be around someone for less than 30 minutes (short errand, grocery store, exposure to random retail customer) but not helpful for constant longer duration exposures (1-2hr meeting in same room, co-workers side by side, in person classes, etc.).

https://ibb.co/B27hbtk
Buildings need to be well ventilated and have clean air systems installed but most do not. What is the risk exposure time duration once the virus becomes airborne from a carrier?? I don't think anyone really knows.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:31 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,071,427 times
Not now Marburg virus, we're flat out trying to dealz with the Rona.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,824,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think it makes perfect sense. Lets be real here - cloth masks/surgical masks are stopping nothing except large droplets if I cough or sneeze practically in your face. It's ridiculous that anyone ever though that they would prevent you from inhaling aerosols, which is what you're inhaling when you spend longer periods of time around someone.

I'm becoming more and more of the opinion that masks are pointless for day-to-day activities when you're not sitting in the same room as someone for an extended period. And in those situations, it's N95's that help. You see these cloth masks people wear, I mean come on. We're really supposed to think that floppy thing that falls off your nose every 5 seconds is doing anything either on the sending or receiving end? Even with an N95, it has to fit right, and I'm guessing most people's don't.

Even with ANY mask you can still get the virus via your eyes I believe, right? I'm surprised the CDC hasn't yet recommended goggles.

I mean, you are correct for the most part. I am required to wear eye goggles or a full face shield when on the COVID-19 floors. But remember, this is about doing everything possible to prevent any spread.

A cloth mask is garbage, I agree with that. But a surgical mask with twisting the ear loops to close the gaps is very good - surgical masks stop droplets fairly well. An N95 or duckbill N95 is the best.

Anyway, it's a real F'ing headache at work because unlike last year, we have people who also have mental illness, have chest pain, need surgeries, uncontrolled diabetes and the COVID-19 census is now over 100 patients. We have no room. We have patients in the hallways. We have patients where their room is listed as "Bck Hallwy 09."

Everyday, I think to myself - this is the richest country in the world and we are still doing this?

Old 08-10-2021, 07:05 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,966,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

Everyday, I think to myself - this is the richest country in the world and we are still doing this?
I was thinking a little while ago that I could almost see the light at the end of the tunnel, and now here we go again. Here we ****ing go again!

Old 08-10-2021, 07:19 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,881,027 times
Quote:
IBut a surgical mask with twisting the ear loops to close the gaps is very good - surgical masks stop droplets fairly well. An N95 or duckbill N95 is the best.
Do you get yours from your work? I checked to order some, and there seems to be quite a variance in the effectiveness of KN95s.

Do you have recommendations on where to get them or which brands to either get or avoid?

Seems N95s have less availability and are more expected.

Am with you with your sentiments on the end of that post of yours.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:53 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,824,707 times
Repatriot - yes, here is the KN95 that has been proven by the hospital for the filtration system:
https://www.amazon.com/Powecom-Reusa...0-eeda4dea34d6

But if you can get an N95, then use that instead. But the above will protect you way better than any surgical mask or cloth mask.

About the end of my post, I'm just not sure what to think anymore. Remember, half my family is from India and they also ask why is this rich country wondering what to do and they say America can avoid India's Delta variant disaster but it seems like we could care less.....

Old 08-11-2021, 06:09 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,071,427 times
Quote:
Repatriot - yes, here is the KN95 that has been proven by the hospital for the filtration system:

But if you can get an N95, then use that instead. But the above will protect you way better than any surgical mask or cloth mask.

About the end of my post, I'm just not sure what to think anymore. Remember, half my family is from India and they also ask why is this rich country wondering what to do and they say America can avoid India's Delta variant disaster but it seems like we could care less.....
I have rocked a cloth mask with KN95 inserts since basically last summer ish. I’ve avoided COVID so seemed good enough for my needs.

Tried to buy some KN95 3D masks out of Korea for the kids (they have simple cloth masks) as a result of the recent news about how Delta seems to be the first variant to figure its chit out as it pertains to kids. Couldn’t find any in stock.

Ended up buying the kids version of the mask I have and a bunch of KN95 inserts. Guess we’ll see how it goes.

The kid on my team that got a breakthrough case texted me last night that he and his GF are basically back to normal and he’ll be back at work today. “Thankfully the vaccine works pretty well, who’da thunk it” as he said

Old 08-11-2021, 06:44 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,636,608 times
Quote:

Those are the ones I have, they're reasonably comfortable and easy to keep from fogging up one's glasses.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:02 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,315,748 times
As the media tries to make us panic about clusters in WCPSS, keep in mind that 94% of kids are onsite this year. I don't know the exact numbers last year, but it was less than 50% even by the end of the year. Kids onsite for school has nearly doubled - obviously the more kids you have in schools, the more recorded cases you will have.

I'm just so tired of the media, especially the local media, causing more harm than good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary