Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2020, 07:25 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times

Advertisements

My 87 yr. old father took me to this little antique store in far North Eastern Franklin County today.

I was surprised by the old memorabilia and relics from life in the rural South inside.

There were some neon signs, mantle clocks, tools used to plow fields, bowls (the most expensive items at $20 a piece), and brick-a-brac.

Some items included and old iron sausage grinder and a spinning wheel.

It was not exceptional finds, but it not junk either. It was rustic with some nostalgic pieces part of everyday life in years gone by,

I just wanted to share this. I don't want to oversell what some might think isn't worth the drive, but I was pleasantly surprised at the difference from the Safe Space store full of junk that I had just been in earlier the same day.

Here are a few shots. The man running the store grew up in Pennsylvania so he doesn't have the accent you'd expect.

My father and I who is pictured went to put flowers on my grandmother's headstone. In a nearby cemetery was her sister who died as a child in the 1918 influenza pandemic. Talking about her was the only thing that would bring her to tears before she died at 101 yrs. of age in 2006.

IMG_0321 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

IMG_0327 by
Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

IMG_0328 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

map by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 07:31 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Cool! Thanks for sharing. I love junk/thrift stores. I used to sell on eBay quite a bit, so I was a thrift store junkie. I've slowed with it down quite a bit, but that looks like a fun, little store. And as a genealogist, I loved hearing your family's story. Sad about the flu epidemic. My husband's mom lost a little brother to scarlet fever when he was 3, and I think it affected her her whole life, too, as I think she brought it home from school.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:46 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
Hmm. @architect77: know of any architectural antiques shops around here? Was talking to a demolition guy who has stockpiles of hardware, doors, etc. and doesn't know where to take them.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:32 AM

773 posts, read 645,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Hmm. @architect77: know of any architectural antiques shops around here? Was talking to a demolition guy who has stockpiles of hardware, doors, etc. and doesn't know where to take them.
Where is "around here"?

Old 10-31-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I don't, but I'll bet some interior decorators in the Triangle know of some.

I'd suggest starting like you were going to renovate a house or restaurant and someone in the process will know exactly where those items would be wanted.

or salvage yards that sell old tubs, stained glass windows, etc. There's got to be some, likely along US70 to the beach.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:54 PM

My father bought his sister a bowl, not the one in the photo, for $30 that online showed it was worth $250. My grandmother had one. It was from the 1930s-40s and was smaller than the one pictured with a pink stripe and a smaller blue stripe around it with crimped clay details along the top lip.

I thought he was crazy but he knew what he was buying to give his sister for Christmas.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:04 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
The Truck Shop on Chapel Hill Road in Cary....
It is not a store.
But, it is worth taking your truck in for repairs just to eyeball the stuff he has collected over the decades of being there.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:22 AM

130 posts, read 109,514 times
That looks like a neat store, I like places like that. I have a particular like for old woodworking tools and wrist watches. I know exactly where that store is, and ride by there quite often, but never stopped. I’ll have to try to check it out sometime. My route to Raleigh, takes me through that community.

I very seldom take I-95 to 64 West, and prefer “the country route” for its scenery. Depending on where I need to go in Raleigh, it can actually be faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary