Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 08:47 PM

119 posts, read 81,542 times

Advertisements

No one I know will ever call it anything but Cameron Village. Same with Daniels school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 09:21 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,612,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm not sure whether the #is 1 in 5 or not, but we certainly need the criminal justice reform so folks aren't serving sentences for small-time drug charges, and are forever tainted economically because of it. It's pretty enlightening to, for example, see the mugshots for possession and FTA-possession. We've got to figure out fines/community service instead.
Yep, it would be one thing if prison was an actual method of rehabilitation/reform and society was willing to take back ex-convicts with open arms but that's not the case in the US (it's a lifelong punishment that follows you everywhere)

I just finished reading Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson and there were a ton of cases where people were poor, could not afford adequate defense in court and were sentenced much more harshly than if they had a competent lawyer to defend them.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:39 PM

405 posts, read 319,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Yep, it would be one thing if prison was an actual method of rehabilitation/reform and society was willing to take back ex-convicts with open arms but that's not the case in the US (it's a lifelong punishment that follows you everywhere)

I just finished reading Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson and there were a ton of cases where people were poor, could not afford adequate defense in court and were sentenced much more harshly than if they had a competent lawyer to defend them.
I believe that started under the Clinton administration. Some were called "Super Predators". Trump tried to correct that situation.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:06 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,612,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
I believe that started under the Clinton administration. Some were called "Super Predators". Trump tried to correct that situation.
The book "Just Mercy" does a great job of talking about these issues.

In the late 1980s/early 1990s (you're right, around the Clinton administration), influential criminologists predicted a coming wave of "super predators" which led to lowering or eliminating the minimum age for trying children as adults leaving children as young as eight vulnerable to adult prosecution and imprisonment. The reality was that the juvenile crime rate declined from 1994 to 2000 and in 2001 the "super predator" theory was deemed a myth and there was no evidence that young people in the 1990s were more involved in violence that those of other generations (there are tons of juveniles that got swept up in this and sentenced to life in prison with no path out of prison at this point).

Also, in the 60s and 70s, most states moved to deinstitutionalize the mental health institution but at the same time that the criminal justice system was focused on expanding criminal statues and harsher sentences so a ton of people with mental illnesses got swept up in the criminal justice system - and a prison is not a great place for them to be (50% of prison and jail inmates in the US have a diagnosed mental illness). Mentioned this one because they mentioned how it was ironic that state mental hospitals were set up because people like Dorothea Dix campaigned to get the mentally ill out of prison in the late nineteenth century.

Super interesting read and I definitely recommend it. It's written by a lawyer in Alabama who runs a non-profit to defend the poor, wrongly condemned, and over-sentenced people within the criminal justice system.

From a real estate perspective, I’ve got some books on my list to read about redlining which is probably more directly related to the issue of Cameron Village itself.

Last edited by pierretong1991; 02-01-2021 at 10:25 PM..

Old 02-01-2021, 11:17 PM

1,341 posts, read 731,775 times
Quote:
Why do we need to continue to live in the past ?

If we have to rename Cameron Village, then Oberlin Village would be the logical name.
I don’t think co-opting the name Oberlin Village would have been the right move since it’s already a neighborhood with historic significance. It sounds like Regency was talking with folks from Friends of Oberlin Village for some time about the name change, and I doubt FOV would have supported it.

I wasn’t in love with “Village District” at first, but it’s grown on me. I think the name does a pretty good job of acknowledging the history of Oberlin Village and Cameron Village and the surrounding area while sounding more current and autonomous.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:54 AM

1,204 posts, read 783,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
No one I know will ever call it anything but Cameron Village. Same with Daniels school.
You'd be surprised. Especially considering this place is crawling with transplants. Someone who is new here wouldn't care about schools' previous name. They give their kids to a school named XYZ, not ZYX. That's all they'll know. As a person, how many times you have heard people say -- "these places used to be called "ZYX" and you go "oh okay" and move on calling it XYZ. Because that's your reality, you have never lived or heard people calling it anything other than XYZ.

I grew up in a country where the economic and political system changed 2-3 times within 100 years. My grandma called parts of the city/streets/schools with its Imperial name, my parents with its Soviet name, my siblings and I called it with Imperial and the modern name, because after 1991 they changed all the soviet names back to Imperial names, or renamed them to something new if it didn't suit anyone.

Anyway, human brain is too busy focusing on essential things. Unless you have some kind of loyalty, affection or grudge, you won't continue calling it the old name, you just go with the flow. Especially kids. They are the main source and the reason natural languages change so quickly.

Last edited by HatchChile; 02-02-2021 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: mofo English grammar... :)

Old 02-02-2021, 07:43 AM

119 posts, read 81,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
You'd be surprised. Especially considering this place is crawling with transplants. Someone who is new here wouldn't care about schools' previous name. They give their kids to a school named XYZ, not ZYX. That's all they'll know. As a person, how many times you have heard people say -- "these places used to be called "ZYX" and you go "oh okay" and move on calling it XYZ. Because that's your reality, you have never lived or heard people calling it anything other than XYZ.

I grew up in a country where the economic and political system changed 2-3 times within 100 years. My grandma called parts of the city/streets/schools with its Imperial name, my parents with its Soviet name, my siblings and I called it with Imperial and the modern name, because after 1991 they changed all the soviet names back to Imperial names, or renamed them to something new if it didn't suit anyone.

Anyway, human brain is too busy focusing on essential things. Unless you have some kind of loyalty, affection or grudge, you won't continue calling it the old name, you just go with the flow. Especially kids. They are the main source and the reason natural languages change so quickly.
I said no one I know. My crowd grew up here or in eastern NC for the most part, with a few from other NC towns. Most of us have known each other since we were kids in the 70’s.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:11 AM

405 posts, read 319,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I don’t think co-opting the name Oberlin Village would have been the right move since it’s already a neighborhood with historic significance. It sounds like Regency was talking with folks from Friends of Oberlin Village for some time about the name change, and I doubt FOV would have supported it.

I wasn’t in love with “Village District” at first, but it’s grown on me. I think the name does a pretty good job of acknowledging the history of Oberlin Village and Cameron Village and the surrounding area while sounding more current and autonomous.
I guess that I don't like the the word "district" in the name.

They tried to please everybody and pleased nobody.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
I said no one I know. My crowd grew up here or in eastern NC for the most part, with a few from other NC towns. Most of us have known each other since we were kids in the 70’s.

Well, yeah. No one is going to fine you for it. It's not done for you or people you know. They are doing it for their students who'll be going to that school. If I had a kid, especially a Black kid I wouldn't want him to go to a school named after a plantation owner or slave trader, or some big name general who fought for confederate causes. Especially a public school that operates based on tax payers' - including my money.

If you continue calling it by its old name, that's your deal. No problem. You are a human with your own right and agency, and you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. Again, this is not being done for you or for the people you know. I'll be happily call something a "Parky McParkface" just like that British boat than calling it original name that was given to it way after the Civil War to honor "Southern Heritage" or "War against Northern Aggression" or "war for state's rights" BS.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I guess that I don't like the the word "district" in the name.

They tried to please everybody and pleased nobody.

Well you are just being Justin Timberlake's character in that movie about Facebook and Mark Z. You'll be like "get rid of "the" that's much better", next thing you'll be like "get rid of district"... Next thing we know all the marketing will be like "Welcome to "TBA"!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary