Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:03 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of this Tea Olive shrub before. The fragrance sounds heavenly! According to a quick Google search it sounds like they get quite tall - am much as 20 feet! Sounds like you'll be getting a lot of privacy, NRG.

I am a sucker for threads with photos, so I'll post a few shots from my garden. I'm still getting to know this place & learning what previous owners have planted, but that's part of the fun!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 06:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I've never heard of this Tea Olive shrub before. The fragrance sounds heavenly! According to a quick Google search it sounds like they get quite tall - am much as 20 feet! Sounds like you'll be getting a lot of privacy, NRG.
Fantastic shots!

Trust me, I could use all the privacy I can get. I don't have the mature landscaping that Woodcroft enjoys! Those Tea Olives can't reach 20' quick enough for me. They are moderate / slow growers so it will be at least 10 years before that. I love my home, but will likely have moved to another part of the Triangle by that point!

Lamishra, I hope my butterfly bush turns into a monster just like yours! I need it to fill a good space. Actually your previous post about these bushes is what made me look into them. I need something tall bushy and fast growing. For $8 I figure it was worth a shot! Once grown, it will block the view of neighbors who live behind me. They are very nice people but they have two Chiuaua dogs. When these dogs see me through the slots in the fence they go absolutely nuts, they crawl under the fence and then come nip me on my ankles! If they don't see me all is well. This butterfly bush will go a long way towards hiding me from those little devils!

I'm looking forward to attracting butterflys too. They don't bite!

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 05-10-2008 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 01:34 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
By the way, how does the Confederate Jasmine do in this climate? Is there any die back in the winter months? I am seriously considering getting some.

Thanks!
Our Confederate Jasmine does not ever die back. It could be because it is somewhat against the house. The foliage does get this nice bronze tinge to it in the winter, but it revives itself in the spring. Mine is already blooming. I have to whack it back relatively severely ever few years. It bleeds this sticky milky goo when you prune it. The smell is worth it in the summers.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:28 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,278 times
THANK YOU for this thread!!! I am in heaven now realizing that I am going to be able to plant the bulbs and hostas and hydrangeas I LOVED in VA, but will get to keep some of the plantings I learned to love in FL but couldn't have up in MA when we lived there--confederate jasmine, butterfly bush, etc.

I am so impressed with these photos. We're moving into a brand new house so I plan to make a sizable investment into the yard. But I'll probably need a pro to help me plan things out.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:45 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Because we had such luck with jasmine down on the coast, I want some here, but I really have no place for it to grow -- perhaps along my fence? I could put a wire for it to grown on. Jasmine is just beautiful, and the smell is heavenly. When we lived in Wilmington, I had some at every home I ever lived in.

You will need to trim, perhaps twice a year, when it really gets going. I would avoid putting it on things that you may want to actually see the architectural detail of, too. Our mailman requested one of our neighbors remove it from the mailbox and post -- you could barely see the mailbox, and when it bloomed, the bees and such were horrible.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I put my Jasmine in the corner of a chainlink fence. I hate the fence but can't afford to replace it right now, so I put the Jasmine there hoping to cover it with the vine. It gets a lot of sun and made it through the winter OK. It's getting ready to bloom right now!

Old 05-11-2008, 05:19 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I put my Jasmine in the corner of a chainlink fence. I hate the fence but can't afford to replace it right now, so I put the Jasmine there hoping to cover it with the vine. It gets a lot of sun and made it through the winter OK. It's getting ready to bloom right now!
A friend of mine in Portland covered her chainlink w/ Ivy. It is beautiful! And green all year round. I bet you'll like the end result of your Jasmine fence! And I bet most of your neighbors won't have one like it!!

So far I've planted some green giant arborvitae, helleri holly, pecil boxwoods, gladiolus bulbs, a butterfly bush, and zinnia seeds. And in the veggie category I've planted 2 types of tomatoes, red peppers, bananna peppers, peas, and brocoli. We harvested all our lettuce this weekend and had a big salad dinner with friends. Yum! Oh, I also planted cilantro but it did not make it. Does anyone know the secret of growing cilantro? I always end up killing it.

NRG, I just discovered those tea olives this spring. I love the smell! Good luck w/ the pesky pooches. I'm not fond of yip type dogs (I love dogs in general) but ankle biters are aren't really dogs to me.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
A friend of mine in Portland covered her chainlink w/ Ivy. It is beautiful! And green all year round. I bet you'll like the end result of your Jasmine fence! And I bet most of your neighbors won't have one like it!!

Does anyone know the secret of growing cilantro? I always end up killing it.
Jasmine is a much better choice! The previous owner of our house covered a retaining wall with ivy, and now the stuff is all over everything. It is climbing up trees and sending runners 6 feet out into the lawn. It is worse than kudzu! (OK, maybe I exaggerate slightly. But only slightly.)

An herb seller at the farmer's market told us that cilantro is actually a fall plant (at least here). At least that was why he said that we couldn't find plants when we were buying our basil and mint and such...

Last edited by J_Lurk; 05-11-2008 at 09:43 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 10:27 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Fantastic shots!

Once grown, it will block the view of neighbors who live behind me. They are very nice people but they have two Chiuaua dogs. When these dogs see me through the slots in the fence they go absolutely nuts, they crawl under the fence and then come nip me on my ankles!
I'm looking forward to attracting butterflys too. They don't bite!

They would only do that once to me ...

Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 AM

75 posts, read 413,853 times
I love these threads!!

My favorite things growing are my two pomegranate trees, two cranberry plants, and my Goji berry vine. I love landscape plants that look beautiful and provide fruit. Now if my HOA will just approve my form so I can plant more stuff. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary