Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 11:39 AM

58 posts, read 56,301 times

Advertisements

Hi
I would like to know if I need to have a "real estate agent" for a "new construction" house purchase.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 11:50 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
You don't have to use one, but you absolutely should. The only person in the entire purchasing experience who will be looking out for your interests will be your agent, other than yourself obviously.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:01 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
No. You can buy without an agent.
It helps if you have experience with contracts and construction and valuation.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:05 PM

Default real estate lawyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No. You can buy without an agent.
It helps if you have experience with contracts and construction and valuation.
Thanks MikeJaquish.

If I don't go with an "agent", do I need a "real estate lawyer" to help me in the process?

Old 04-18-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelangov View Post
Thanks MikeJaquish.

If I don't go with an "agent", do I need a "real estate lawyer" to help me in the process?

Do you have experience with contracts, construction, and valuation?
An attorney can be helpful with the first, but I don't know about the other two,

Don't assume a builder will discount to you when you come without an agent. I.e., you pay the same with or without that help.
And you need to recognize that the builder's folks you are talking to are there to close the deal on the best terms they can get for the builder.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:17 PM

Default Real Estate Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Do you have experience with contracts, construction, and valuation?
An attorney can be helpful with the first, but I don't know about the other two,

Don't assume a builder will discount to you when you come without an agent. I.e., you pay the same with or without that help.
And you need to recognize that the builder's folks you are talking to are there to close the deal on the best terms they can get for the builder.
Thanks MikeJaquish.

No, I don't have experience with any of these...contracts, construction, and valuation.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks MikeJaquish.

No, I don't have experience with any of these...contracts, construction, and valuation.

Be careful. Again, you don't have to use an agent. But, only you can decide if you need an agent's help.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
I would like to know if I need to have a "real estate agent" for a "new construction" house purchase.
As noted by the other responses, you don't "need" to have one, but you will be better off if you sign up with a Buyer's Agent.

If you need any recommendations, several good ones are regulars on this forum. Some may have already replied to this thread.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:06 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
You don't have to use one, but you absolutely should. The only person in the entire purchasing experience who will be looking out for your interests will be your agent, other than yourself obviously.
One thousand percent agree.

Mike J. Is an agent himself. He is being a classy professional in answering your question very factually and objectively. (I'm not at all surprised; I've never known him to be anything less than professional.)

I am that consumer who IS generally familiar with contacts, has bought and sold 3 homes before, and has my long term attorney's home phone number if I need help. Regardless, ain't no way in hell I'm not going to have my own agent.

Which is why we have about $20k in structural upgrades that we didn't pay for. Nope, not because our agent negotiated. Because the builder's sales agent lied to us and our realtor had confirmed everything she said in an email. We didnt even know about the problem until we were at the pre-construction meeting and DH is looking at the blueprints. Without that realtor, we would have been screwed.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Your question...do I NEED to have an Agent if I buy new construction. My answer: YES!!!

You can go into the office and buy directly from the onsite agent but she/he works for the builder.

Who is going to work for YOU? Who is going to guide you through the paperwork (builder's contract is about 43 pages long)? Who is going to go to bat for you when there is a problem?

So, I go back to my answer...yes, you NEED an Agent!

As a buyer, you are not paying for a buyer's agent. That agent is paid by the builder in new construction, even though the Agent works for you.

In this crazy housing market, builders have very limited supply. They are asking for huge deposits and having buyers agree to crazy prices. In some cases, buyers are agreeing because they are desperate to buy.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary