Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 02:18 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Durham and Chapel Hill....no...not suburbs of Raleigh. Cary debatable...it's really more of a "satellite city" of the region.

Towns that I think could universally be called "Suburbs of Raleigh" would be Garner, Knightdale, Wake Forest, Holly Springs.

Apex and especially Morrisville kind of a tossup for being lumped in with Cary as "mega-burb complex" between the two anchor cities of Raleigh and Durham and with more people in that "section" probably commuting to RTP for work than either Raleigh or Durham and enjoying the "city amenities" almost equally between Raleigh and Durham.

Fuquay and Wendell/Zebulon. Still kinda out there in the country. I think Clayton makes a better case for being a "suburb of Raleigh" than those towns do despite being in a different county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 02:23 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Cary is a suburb of Raleigh. CARY stands for Can't Afford Raleigh Yet.
Ummm ... median household income of Cary exceeds Raleigh. By quite a bit. (In 2019, about $106k and $69k respectively, at least according to C-D)

(Yes, I know it was a joke. Just not one that makes sense.)

Old 06-02-2021, 02:29 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Ummm ... median household income of Cary exceeds Raleigh. By quite a bit. (In 2019, about $106k and $69k respectively, at least according to C-D)

(Yes, I know it was a joke. Just not one that makes sense.)
Raleigh has far more lower cost housing unit offerings than Cary does.
Yeah, ITB is 7 figures apparently, but ITB is not all of Raleigh by a long shot.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:29 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Not an "official" definition of suburb by any stretch of the imagination, but I tend to think in terms of how well known a town is. If I told the average person on the other side of the country that I live in Cary, NC, they very likely aren't familiar with it (same for Garner, Apex, Holly Springs, etc). But if I say I live "just outside of Raleigh," they've more likely heard of Raleigh. In that sense, I consider Cary (and other towns in Wake County) to be a suburb of Raleigh.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:34 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not an "official" definition of suburb by any stretch of the imagination, but I tend to think in terms of how well known a town is. If I told the average person on the other side of the country that I live in Cary, NC, they very likely aren't familiar with it (same for Garner, Apex, Holly Springs, etc). But if I say I live "just outside of Raleigh," they've more likely heard of Raleigh. In that sense, I consider Cary (and other towns in Wake County) to be a suburb of Raleigh.
This is typically how I approach it too, to a T. Bit me in the ass when I moved overseas.

Where'd you move from?

Boston.

Where's your accent???

Wellllll......I moved from there. I wasn't born there. I'm guessing you've never heard of Halifax.

Nova Scotia?!

No. Massachusetts.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:30 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
For several years now, Cary residents have worked in Cary.
Cary has a net influx of workers on a daily basis.
^This is why I don't consider Cary a true suburb.... anymore. It has grown into its' own "city" or "large town". Cary has a large diverse self-sustaining economy and, as Mike said, more people actually commute into Cary to work than commute out..... at least pre-pandemic. Lots of businesses of all sorts -big and small. Some of the heavy hitters = SAS, MetLife, WakeMed Cary -and all the clinics/Drs offices orbiting it.

I guess I associate suburb with bedroom community -where it's mostly residential and people just stay/live there to rest there heads but spend most of there time working, and possibly recreating, shopping, and eating out, in another city/town.

Many people come into Cary not just to work but to use medical services and enjoy its' excellent parks and rec opportunities... as well as shopping and restaurants. We know we did, that's why we eventually decided just to move to Cary (from Apex).

Old 06-03-2021, 06:49 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
This is typically how I approach it too, to a T. Bit me in the ass when I moved overseas.

Where'd you move from?

Boston.

Where's your accent???

Wellllll......I moved from there. I wasn't born there. I'm guessing you've never heard of Halifax.

Nova Scotia?!

No. Massachusetts.

That shows how much I know Canada, lol. If someone said they were from Halifax while in overseas, I'd probably thought you were referring to a place in England, the one close to Leeds. Nova Scotia would not have even crossed my mind, tbh. It didn't while I was reading your post either.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:32 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
That shows how much I know Canada, lol. If someone said they were from Halifax while in overseas, I'd probably thought you were referring to a place in England, the one close to Leeds. Nova Scotia would not have even crossed my mind, tbh. It didn't while I was reading your post either.

That one is the OG.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:46 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
The Triangle is unique since in many ways RTP is the CBD for a huge chunk of the area and Cary and Morrisville and North Raleigh act as suburbs for it. But beyond getting into the weeds, suffice to say most towns in Wake County are seen as suburbs of Raleigh (I’d say no to Wendell and Zebulon). Clayton is trending that way. Durham and Chapel Hill are not.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:36 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The Triangle is unique since in many ways RTP is the CBD for a huge chunk of the area and Cary and Morrisville and North Raleigh act as suburbs for it. But beyond getting into the weeds, suffice to say most towns in Wake County are seen as suburbs of Raleigh (I’d say no to Wendell and Zebulon). Clayton is trending that way. Durham and Chapel Hill are not.
I'd be interested to better understand your thinking process to decide when a city is or is not a suburb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary