Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:03 PM

217 posts, read 554,267 times

Advertisements

Hello,
After my recent visit to NC, I noticed that I didn't see any temples. I am not religious at all, but I would like to know if there is a Jewish community down in NC. All I noticed was the abundance of churches and no other religious houses of worship. Everyone talks of diversity, but I did not see any evidence of this. Sorry if this post came out rude, no offence to anyone, I was just wondering.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:11 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,907 times
There is a Jewish community here, albeit not HUGE. I pass a temple on my commute to and from work daily (on Falls of Neuse, I think). Search around a little -- you'll find what you're seeking.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 PM

217 posts, read 554,267 times
Thanks for letting me know.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:16 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,716 times
Don't know much about the rest of NC, but here in the triangle, there are 2 synogogues in Durham, 1 in Chapel Hill, and a few in Raleigh. There are also the Freeman Center at Duke and Hillel at UNC Chapel Hill. Not sure what NC State has as far as a campus Jewish religious organization. There's definitely a decent Jewish population in the Triangle. I mean, you can't compare to places like Cherry Hill, NJ or the like. But there are many more places where the Jewish population is much smaller. I have also been to a Hindu place of worship in Morrisville (town near Cary). As for riding around and seeing other places of worship than Churches, the only place I can recall ever driving around and actually seeing a fair bit of non-Christian houses of worship was in the Rockville, MD area (DC suburbs).

Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
I'm not Jewish, but I know of Temple Beth Or (reform) in Raleigh, a conservative synagogue on Newton Rd, and even an Orthodox synagogue on Falls of Neuse, across from Ravenscroft School. There are Hillel schools and such in the area--definitely a Jewish "presence".

Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
In addition to several synagogues in Raleigh, Durham and Cary, there's even a Chabad Center here.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
There are 2 hindu temples in Morrisville close to the airport. One of them is an old truck depot, so you wouldn't be able to tell at all if there wasn't a sign there. I've actually been in there for a service (I'm Catholic) and talked with the people that run it. Very nice people and it was a very cool service. We did this for a class I took in Eastern Religions.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:42 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
The Chabad is on Falls of Neuse (previously referenced as being Orthodox, also true). Beth Meyer (conservative) is on Newton Road and Beth Or is on Creedmoor (reform). There's a JCC on Norwood Road as well.

While I wouldn't call the Jewish population in the Triangle substantial it's certainly larger than what I expected. There's a particular concentration of Jewish families in North Raleigh due in large part to the location of the various congregations.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
There is also the Kadampa Center for the practice of Tibetan Buddhism in the Gelugpa Tradition located in west Raleigh.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Hello,
After my recent visit to NC, I noticed that I didn't see any temples. I am not religious at all, but I would like to know if there is a Jewish community down in NC. All I noticed was the abundance of churches and no other religious houses of worship. Everyone talks of diversity, but I did not see any evidence of this. Sorry if this post came out rude, no offence to anyone, I was just wondering. Thanks in advance!
Better to ask, than think there are no other places of worship I say!

There is a very active Jewish community in Chapel Hill, and also I believe in Durham. There is also a Bahai' community in Orange County, an Indian (Hindu) community, and a few other faiths that are lesser known but nonetheless there. Churches stand out, I think, more b/c there are so many (I mean you've got Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Catholic, Episcopalian, etc which all just look like one church after another yet are different). While there aren't huge temples, there are many different houses of worship through out the area (I find often as not they are more hidden or look like a regular building or house). It is just a matter of googling what you are seeking to find the addresses. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary