Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 06:29 AM

873 posts, read 1,021,268 times

Advertisements

According to this article, Durham has a new development built on 1,200 square feet, without much yard space, with a listing price of $525K. This high-density development at the corner of Club and Gregson is meant to help the housing crunch in the city, but the price tag is higher than the median for houses on the market, especially when one looks at the cost per square footage.

Seems to me this "small lot option" of building homes on lots as small as 2K square feet will benefit newcomers but have little to no appeal to anyone already living in the city. Anyone think otherwise.

https://www.wral.com/half-million-do...ap0ffGUj5yi3pA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 06:42 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,620,802 times
Agreed, because of the price. If they were more affordable it might appeal to some already here who live in apartments, or just don't much care about a big yard. But the price is so prohibitive that it certainly doesn't help the existing affordability crisis.

"Realtor Matt Lunceford Blivin says it's a great way to break into the market."

Ok...not at $525K unless you're coming from somewhere where you sold for much higher or you have significant family contribution to that down payment.

Houses look nice, though

Old 05-17-2022, 08:50 AM

2,505 posts, read 3,556,459 times
Sounds like a lot... but it's a whole lot less than the $795K, $885K, $900K that other new construction has recently sold for within a few blocks.

You'd never compare new car prices to used car prices, so why do so for houses?

Land prices are often 1/4 to 1/3 of the total price of a house -- so shrinking the lot can't cut the cost of the resulting house that drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Houses look nice, though
If the result looks nice, doesn't hurt anyone, and works for someone (dozens have already been built and presumably happily found renters/buyers)... why not legalize other people doing something that works for them? Maybe more yard space is a requirement for you, but it's not for a lot of other people -- myself included.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:15 AM

43,377 posts, read 77,290,983 times
If they sell at or over list price, the builders have the market figured out.
If they don't sell, or sell at much lower prices, swing and a miss as they say at DBAP.

I foresee temp housing, whether rental or purchase.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:19 AM

1,341 posts, read 730,286 times
Given the location and the construction, the price doesn't seem out of line. Can't imagine a new SFH in that area being much less.

For better or worse, there are parts of the Triangle that just aren't going to be particularly affordable anymore for most first time home buyers or lower or middle income folks no matter how much housing is added.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:21 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,948,326 times
I see more and more new developments with no yards and they are selling. I've seen many younger people (and others) prefer this over a big yard that they would have to maintain. So I don't think this will be much of an issue. What may be an issue though is the 1200sf of living space. That just seems very small especially for the price. But if the area is nice and close to amenities (I don't know that area at all) then I'm sure they will have no problem selling.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:28 AM

6,395 posts, read 5,521,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I see more and more new developments with no yards and they are selling. I've seen many younger people (and others) prefer this over a big yard that they would have to maintain. So I don't think this will be much of an issue. What may be an issue though is the 1200sf of living space. That just seems very small especially for the price. But if the area is nice and close to amenities (I don't know that area at all) then I'm sure they will have no problem selling.
For the target market for these homes; I don't think 1200 sq ft living space will feel small at all. That's honestly larger than many of the existing pre-WWII bungalows near downtown/Old West Durham that have been selling like hotcakes for the past few years; even before the 2021 madness began.

Though I agree with Mike's hinting that many if not most of them will likely sell to non-owner occupants and end up as AirBnB and the likes. Ironic considering the alleged "intention" of the development to make more housing units available for residents but hey...

EDIT: Just noticed that the homes are designated in the MLS as officially being located in the Trinity Park neighborhood.....kinda debatable if they get to claim that moniker but I have no doubt people will eat it up.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:29 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,486,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
According to this article, Durham has a new development built on 1,200 square feet, without much yard space, with a listing price of $525K. This high-density development at the corner of Club and Gregson is meant to help the housing crunch in the city, but the price tag is higher than the median for houses on the market, especially when one looks at the cost per square footage.

Seems to me this "small lot option" of building homes on lots as small as 2K square feet will benefit newcomers but have little to no appeal to anyone already living in the city. Anyone think otherwise.

At a quick glance, the houses don't seem to be out of whack with the $/sf of the neighborhood especially if one considers they are new construction. So your assumption that they wouldn't have much appeal to current residents assumes that the current residents really want a larger lot.

I'd say that a lot of people don't like to share any kind of wall or roof, but are ambivalent about having much yard.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
If the result looks nice, doesn't hurt anyone, and works for someone (dozens have already been built and presumably happily found renters/buyers)... why not legalize other people doing something that works for them? Maybe more yard space is a requirement for you, but it's not for a lot of other people -- myself included.
I answered the question originally posed by the poster with my thought.

Nobody is making anything illegal

In the context of what the original poster asked, I think the price is prohibitive and doesn't really go with the Durham push toward density as a solution to finding affordable housing.

Putting that aside, they look to be gorgeous homes that are fine for someone who wants to pay that and doesn't care about a yard.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If they sell at or over list price, the builders have the market figured out.
If they don't sell, or sell at much lower prices, swing and a miss as they say at DBAP.

I foresee temp housing, whether rental or purchase.
I actually think they'll sell wayyyyyy over - but to people moving here from elsewhere, in general.

Two houses sold in my neighborhood for some pretty shocking prices recently! Don't know yet who bought them. But I think that price in that neighborhood won't be an issue for some, especially tech relocators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary