Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 AM

214 posts, read 1,001,891 times

Advertisements

The tick season started early for us, we found our first tick in March. You couldn't walk into the backyard for more than a minute before one would jump on you, or onto the dog. We normally treat our backyard with the Sevin granules, but it didn't put a dent in the ticks this year, so we then sprayed with Bayer's Insect Killer spray and it seemed to do the trick.

My dog and I are in the backyard everyday and neither of us has had a tick in the month since we sprayed. For when we want to go out to a park or out walking I spray my dog with Earth Animal's Bug Off Spray and it works really well at keeping the ticks from jumping on him, plus it is safe for humans too and is non-toxic for when the dog licks itself.

Natural Pet Products: Shop Online For Pet Supplies, Remedies, Toys, & More

Also my dog is on Frontline, but it only kills ticks once they bite. If you don't have cats you can Advantix, which is supposed to repel ticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 03:59 PM

79 posts, read 355,914 times
Being from the New York I was totally nieve on even worrying about ticks when going into the woods. I went golfing this weekend and had to pull several off of me. The next day I found two more that have gotten by me while golfing. Arrrggg!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:22 PM

17 posts, read 64,919 times
I've lived in Wake Forest for two years now. I wasn't ready for the ticks when I moved here, and shortly after found a few on my dogs and a few on my wife and me. Last year I probably pulled 5 or 6 all year.

This year that number has tripled. I thought it was just the area we are in, but it sounds like this is a bad year for ticks all around.

We had the back part of our yard cleared over the winter and that area now has a lawn surrounded by some brush and weeds. I spread the granules (not sure what brand) over the lawn a month or so ago and it seems to have had little effect on the ticks. I will try the Bayer's spray this week.

Again, glad to hear I'm not the only one being targeted by these little monsters. (On a less-harmful note, I am also being terrorized by horseflies in my yard lately.)

Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM

51 posts, read 137,442 times
Default Oh, good! One more thing to worry about!

How do you keep them off humans? I will be living in the dorms at UNC-CH, so I won't do any gardening, but should I put some sort of bug spray on? I had never heard of Rocky MOuntain Spotted Fever and it sounds horrible (and unproductive - something I would like to avoid in grad school! ). Anything that I can do to prevent the buggers from landing on me?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:34 PM

17 posts, read 64,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavincainjuly View Post
How do you keep them off humans? I will be living in the dorms at UNC-CH, so I won't do any gardening, but should I put some sort of bug spray on? I had never heard of Rocky MOuntain Spotted Fever and it sounds horrible (and unproductive - something I would like to avoid in grad school! ). Anything that I can do to prevent the buggers from landing on me?
Avoid tall, uncut grass or wooded areas and you will be fine. I don't imagine there are a lot in the dorms, although there are probably other dangers lurking there.

Seriously, I have only encountered them when I am walking my dogs through unkept areas.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:55 PM

So what you are saying is that the big danger in the dorms is the guys who would sure like to check me for ticks, rather than the ticks themselves? Well they don't have a spray for them but at least they don't pass RMSF, either!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:59 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
A tick crawls on you and will crawl around for up to a couple hours looking for a warm spot. Once they find it, they burrow their heads in AND glue themselves to you, which is why its so hard to get them out once they are in.
You're tellin' me! I found one attached to me yesterday. I felt this pinch down . . . . you know. . . . . near my frank and beans. . . . .there he was. Attached to one of the beans.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
You're tellin' me! I found one attached to me yesterday. I felt this pinch down . . . . you know. . . . . near my frank and beans. . . . .there he was. Attached to one of the beans.
How....? What were you...? They can access....?

I want to ask, but do I really want to know???

Never mind.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Ha. Try having a bunch of chiggers attack you in a place where you usually don't let anyone go on the first date.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:59 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Now you told this story in the most descriptive way I've ever heard, but almost every time I've heard a similar story before it has been about someone's son, not themselves. And from what I've heard, taking ticks of your young 'uns beans is no fun either. But it reminds parents of the importance of checking your little ones all over for the ticks...

Quote:
Try having a bunch of chiggers attack you in a place where you usually don't let anyone go on the first date.
Yeah, I had that happen to me as a kid too. It was memorably awful. Which brings me another tip: don't let your children (or yourself) squat in high grass to answer nature's call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary