Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 02:36 AM

109 posts, read 122,442 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating from DC/arlington. I love car free lving and although i know thats not the case in Cary , i would like the option of living somwhere i can bike or walk to easily sometimes to shop
I am looking for apartments close to greenway in a safe quiet area. My budget is 1600 for 1br or I will share with another professional.

I really like my building in arlington because there is a walkway around the building and some green space, however it will be going under major construction for 2 years , so this is makng me consider other cities and to be honest, arlington and DC are too busy for me as I am 40 years old and looking to slow down

I am hoping to get some recommnedations here, so please let me know if you have suggestions for neighboorhoods or other areas around raleigh to live for activer outdoors type, no pets

alsoi am curious if there are hillier areas. I love walking and biking up hills so closer i am to some hills the better. Arlington and DC actually have some good ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 05:15 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
I would consider the area near the south entrance to Umstead State Park. There are definitely some apartments on (or near) N Harrison Ave, between Maynard and I-40. There are 3 grocery stores, lots of restaurants, and access to a state park, a county park, and the Black Creek greenway.

If you don't want to be that close to the airport and all of that noise/traffic, another option is farther south near the intersection of Tryon Road and Kildaire Farm Road. There are 2 grocery stores (one is a Whole Foods) and a Walmart, lots of restaurants, a Cary city park (Hemlock Bluffs), the Swift Creek greenway, and lots of paved/gravel trails in the Lochmere neighborhood.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:21 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I assume anything you find in Cary will likely be much less busy than in Arlington.

https://www.westonlakeside.com/cary/.../conventional/
Greenway.
Hilly.
Lake.
Almost no airplanes overhead.
Occasionally bike to shopping.

Lofts at Weston, owned by the same company is adjacent. And newer.
https://www.loftsatweston.com/

I would strongly consider:
https://www.meridianatharrisonpointe.com/floorplans
Walk to 95% of your daily needs.
Bike to more.
Groceries.
Pharmacies.
Dining.
Some shopping.
Black Creek Greenway.
North Cary is hilly.
A bit of a busier area than Lakeside, but again I assume anything you find in Cary will likely be much less busy than in Arlington.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:22 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
Cary has a lot of greenways and parks. Bond Park has both the White Oak and the Black Creek greenways connecting into it. The White Oak connects over to the American Tobacco Trail, a long rail trail between apex and Durham. The Black Creek connects over to Umstead State Park. You can continue thru the park and pop out on the Raleigh side, connecting into their large greenway system. Also on the Black Creek Greenway, just before it comes to Umstead, is Lake Crabtree. There’s a trail around the lake, a mountain bike trail system, boat rentals, etc. there. There’s more greenways that just these, but these are ones that are well connected and would be my first choice to live near (especially if you bike them).

Downtown Cary is one of the more walkable areas. The downtown is surrounded by the “Maynard Loop”, and there’s some grocery stores along the loop that would at least be close with a cargo bike. The downtown has a bunch of food and beverage options, a library, arts center, shops, a new park opening soon, free events like concerts, churches, etc. It has good transportation options from the Amtrak station. You have Amtrak itself, plus the GoTriangle/GoCary buses. The 300 bus goes to downtown Raleigh in about 25 minutes (down the road there will be a more frequent and slightly faster Bus Rapid Transit option). From downtown, you can get (via sidewalk) to a little spur greenway, Northwoods Greenway, that connects to the Black Creek Greenway. The downtown area is becoming more dense all the time with new apartment buildings and townhouses.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:36 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Any of the apartment complexes off Weston Parkway are great options! Sandwiched between/with greenway access to Lake Crabtree and right across from Umstead. Outdoor enthusiast paradise but also very convenient to most of the Triangle. Not too much in walkability as far as an urban/density environment; but I do believe there are sidewalks through Weston to Harris Ave where there are some nice places to eat/shop. A buddy of mine lives in the Lantower Weston Corners apartments in a "1 bedroom" that I would really consider a studio...but great amenities and he loves it there...

https://www.lantower.com/properties/...rs/?switch_cls[id]=95702

Old 12-22-2022, 03:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
I’d look in downtown Cary myself. Pine ridge or Pine View or Brookdale are all near downtown Cary.

In fact, while I wouldn’t do it without a car, one could live in DT Cary in walking distance to Harrison ave without a car and be able to get to many amenities on the 5 bus. Trader Joe’s and Food lion and Grand Asia market on the route, Walmart and WakeMed at the south end of the route, you’d also be close to the black creek greenway which I think is 8 miles long and deposits you at Umstead on its north end.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:19 AM

66 posts, read 49,350 times
There are apartments that are on Old Reedy Creek Rd that backup to a greenway and are right there at Lake Crabtree. From there, you can take a greenway in 3 different directions:
1. South into Cary all the way to Bond Park and then thru to the American Tobacco Trail.
2. West into Morrisville
3. East into Umstead State Park (about a half mile walk into the park itself) with dozens of miles of both gravel trails and hiking trails.
Also, from there, you can walk to a couple of shopping centers that are 1/2 to 3/4 miles away with a total of nearly a dozen restaurants and bars. (but no grocery store... you have to go at least another mile or two to get there)
And from there it's the most convenient location to drive to both Raleigh and Durham within 15 minutes.

And what I said pretty much applies to other apartments in the Weston/Evans Drive intersection area... and they've been building out the wazoo there, so there are a boatload of them. The ones on Old Reedy Creek are just closer to the greenways, Umstead, and shopping.

Old 12-24-2022, 02:56 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
Hey, I'm early-40s, grew up in Cary, now live in DC and frequently bike through Arlington (both north and south). Much of Cary reminds me of Reston (away from RTC) or Herndon or other near-Dulles suburbs.

Weston Lakeside is certainly a great option; it's just about the only spot in the Triangle where I've found a long view west over water. (I live near the Wharf, and the sunsets are amazing.) There's not really a grocery within walking distance, but there are restaurants, and uhh, a Bass Pro Shops which sells outdoors gear (and sometimes even in non-camo colors!). The nearest groceries are 1.5 miles away at Harrison and Maynard, and most other shopping can be done at Park West, also about 2 miles away.

It's on the Black Creek Greenway, which threads through north Cary from Umstead State Park in the north to almost-downtown Cary in the south. As mentioned above, the trail connects west from downtown Cary via other trails to the American Tobacco Trail, which runs to downtown Durham; Umstead's trails connect via the NC Museum of Art to two trails (Crabtree Creek and Walnut Creek) into central Raleigh. All of these are shown on the bike layer of Google Maps.

There are several other apartment complexes along Black Creek, notably the Harrison Pointe ones mentioned and Harrison Grande, which aren't in quite as dramatic a location but are right next to groceries and the greenway. Downtown Cary is starting to get a few urban apartment complexes; it's a few blocks over roads to the greenways, but it has an emerging dining/drinking scene.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:18 AM

thank you everyone, its been a while since i posted but still on hold, lease is up this june, wish me luck

Old 03-26-2023, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I would consider the area near the south entrance to Umstead State Park. There are definitely some apartments on (or near) N Harrison Ave, between Maynard and I-40. There are 3 grocery stores, lots of restaurants, and access to a state park, a county park, and the Black Creek greenway.

If you don't want to be that close to the airport and all of that noise/traffic, another option is farther south near the intersection of Tryon Road and Kildaire Farm Road. There are 2 grocery stores (one is a Whole Foods) and a Walmart, lots of restaurants, a Cary city park (Hemlock Bluffs), the Swift Creek greenway, and lots of paved/gravel trails in the Lochmere neighborhood.
thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary