Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 PM

241 posts, read 935,607 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We just moved from Glendale (La Crescenta) to Cary about a month ago!

My husband is all settled in, but I'm still really homesick I had a little store in La Crescenta and used to go downtown all the time to get jewelry and purses... I really miss it!! Did you work at the California Mart by any chance?

Where is the salon that you work at? I need a hairdresser

We went to the meet-up that NRG is talking about... really nice folks! You should keep an eye out for the next meet-up or we could start an LA meet-up of our own!!!

Okay... and food... since everyone else is talking....

We like 5 guys better than in-n-out!!! (really!)
Jack Astor's in Cary is awesome... get the bruschetta & the apple pie!!!
Hi 5 in Raleigh is pretty good
We just discovered the Cracker Barrel (speaking of crackers...) go for breakfast and get the blueberry pancakes
I know I'm forgetting a few...
**Perhaps with all the eating we should think of rating gyms and hiking areas next **

We haven't found a mexican food place that is top notch... I've seen some threads on the subject, we should venture out...hungry

Welcome to the area!!! Keep posting!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 PM

241 posts, read 935,607 times
Default Wait... NRG... wienerschnitzel????

no no no...

For a corn dog...Find a mall... and go to Hot Dog on a Stick (hotdogonastick.com). MUCH better. They have corn dogs, cheesedogs and fresh lemonade. Better still... find the Corn Dog cart on Main Street at Disneyland

For a wonderful Hot Dog, go to Pink's in Hollywood or Cupid's on Ventura Blvd in LA.

And make sure you hit In-n-out

(just my 2 cents... hehe)

Old 05-29-2008, 05:42 AM

26 posts, read 91,403 times
Maybe we need to start for folks from LA who moved to Raleigh area . I guess I'm the "old timer" now been here a little over 6 years. Spent most of my time in Santa Monica out there, lived in the Hollywood Hills. About this time of year I miss the Hollywood Bowl season. Alot of what I missed has arrived, but not all of it. I live inside the beltline. I'd love to meet any new folks here. Being here is still a very different experience. Apple Pan and Pinks +++

Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 16,193 times
Hi Petunia16! I grew up in Glendale and went to Woodrow Wilson Jr. High and then to Glendale High so I'm familiar with the La Crescenta area. Where did you go to school and when did you graduate? Yes, I did work at the CA Mart and the New Mart for a time. Ohh, how I miss downtown...the flower mart, the alley, all the textiles! Wish there was someplace like that here.

Breezewithlousie....we loved the Hollywood Bowl!!! And the Greek Theatre too! Do they have anything similiar here? We loved going to concerts. My husband and I like everything from Aerosmith to Brooks and Dunn to Ryan Adams to Daz Band. I really miss Ocean Ave in Santa Monica more then ever now that it's not ten minutes from me . Would love to hear what has arrived here that you missed in LA? For me, I was just thrilled to know Raleigh has Trader Joes and Whole Foods may sound silly, but it's those small comforts of home that make it a little easier. In CA we are spoiled with good produce!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 AM

7 posts, read 16,193 times
Speaking of good blueberry pancakes.....has anyone heard of Finch's? It's this great little dive on Peace Street downtown... not far from the Mellow Mushroom. Really good crispy bacon (thin, not thick, like we like it), yummy grits, but no so great coffee so you may want to bring your own. But the Blueberry pancakes ROCK!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:56 AM

153 posts, read 460,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
no no no...

For a corn dog...Find a mall... and go to Hot Dog on a Stick (hotdogonastick.com). MUCH better. They have corn dogs, cheesedogs and fresh lemonade. Better still... find the Corn Dog cart on Main Street at Disneyland

For a wonderful Hot Dog, go to Pink's in Hollywood or Cupid's on Ventura Blvd in LA.

And make sure you hit In-n-out

(just my 2 cents... hehe)
Hey now, be nice to Wienerschnitzel! I worked for their corporate offices in Newport Beach. Corn dog & chili cheeze fries please! Or a pretzel dog...yum!!!! Haven't found the same here yet...

Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 AM

460 posts, read 1,275,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peruvian-cracker View Post
Speaking of good blueberry pancakes.....has anyone heard of Finch's? It's this great little dive on Peace Street downtown... not far from the Mellow Mushroom. Really good crispy bacon (thin, not thick, like we like it), yummy grits, but no so great coffee so you may want to bring your own. But the Blueberry pancakes ROCK!!!
I LOVE Finch's...Peggy cooks up a mean breakfast and lunch during the week is good, too.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,025,965 times
TOTALLY forgot about Hot dog on a stick - my GOD that's a great corn dog.

I am in LA for a wedding until tomorrow...I have 2 meals left and one will definitely be In n Out.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:51 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,783,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peruvian-cracker View Post
Hi there!!
We are a family from Southern California who would love to meet others in our same situation who moved here from California and would also just like to meet some new friends in general! =)
Yay, more Californians! More things to talk about in common from the homeland as only a Californian would truly understand. We've been here just about 22 months (though I've been flying out to CA for a few weeks at a time every other month). We love it, but certainly miss some of the points you referenced in an earlier post including driving to the Pacific (though it would take us longer or shorter depending on where we lived at the time). Btw, we left the Pasadena area, but moved there previously from Newport and Monarch Beach. The Pacific is in our souls and that's what we miss the most. Truly, the most!

I also miss Hollywood and the scene in general. I have so many friends in the industry (film, music, special effects and even some theatre) as well as working in it for so many years, I miss the various opportunities that Hollywood afforded me. If I needed extra work, I could find it somewhere in some facet of Hollywood. I'm still having withdrawals, work wise since my new industry is not quite so diverse or eclectic.

Other than that, we really haven't missed anything being out here. Except for In n Out. I'm not a huge fan, but my Caligirl really needs her fix. On the other hand, we were fortunate that the triangle opened up their first Trader Joe's in Cary. That, indeed, was a lifesaver. Now they have one in Chapel Hill and I've heard one is opening up in Raleigh. I still think the TJ's on the west coast has better variety (being that they started there and, I guess I'm a bit of an authority since I worked for the TJ corporation for some time), you should still be able to order items on their inventory list in case they don't have the item on the shelf.

Driving here has been a much greater pleasure. Not a thrill either, but my stress levels while driving have decreased ten fold. Try using your blinker sometime... you'll find something rather unusual happen. The driver in the next lane behind you will slow down a bit to let you in! It's totally cool! I can't remember a time when my fellow Angelino's did that (though I understand why they 'usually' don't).

I don't miss the commute since I had to commute to Culver City, Santa Monica and El Segundo oftentimes for my full time job (I worked near Sony Studios). That was a miserable drive, day in and day out from the San Gabriel Valley. Here, the commute is really non-existent. Sure, there's rush hour traffic, but it's only rush hour traffic for about, well, an hour.

I miss the Hollywood Bowl and the Greek Theatre too. Attended quite a few events there as well as hung out in the area a lot. We did attend an event in Raleigh at the Meymandi for the Swell Season (Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova). The audience and venue was very nice and we enjoyed ourselves. Parking was easy too!

I miss Rollerblading. I only really did that at the beach, but I haven't found anyone who does it here or anywhere I can safely do it without encountering a bunch of gravel (it's everywhere). It was great exercise, however.

I also miss driving up to Arrowhead and Big Bear. It wasn't more than an hour and a half away. But it was a world apart from the valley. Here, the trees and greenery is so beautiful, but unless I head far west for hours, I still can't get to the mountains like I could in L.A. Although, once you hit those mountains in the west of NC, you're in for a real treat!

My favorite places to eat a hamburger in L.A. (unfortunately, I wasn't a big fan of the apple pan... I'd walk down to the Boston Market instead), was Burger Continental. Did you ever visit? It was on Lake St. just above California Blvd. Mediterranean food, really, but the opened faced burgers were awesome!!! We'd visit Island's now and again, but I haven't found any here, yet.

I could go on and on, but I get long winded at times and I gotta get back to my project. Thanks for posting and welcome to the area. We just had a couple across the street move from Hollywood about 11 months ago, so it looks like we're finally figuring something out about the south.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 PM

920 posts, read 2,815,422 times
Hi Peruvian-cracker! I'm an LA native, raised in the South Bay. I'll be moving to Raleigh this August (by way of Portland) and would love to meet other Angelinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary