Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:14 AM

43,326 posts, read 77,188,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
No...and its because of economics. Think more about jobs and less about people. The Triangle refers to the Universities, as well as RTP. Businesses are attracted to the caliber of employee coming from the Triangle and set up research facilities at RTP.

In a greater sense, you may say Wake, Durham and Orange Counties are the Triangle. Cary is part of Wake and really just a really large bedroom community of Raleigh in that regard.
Cary has been an employment center for many years.
People live in Cary and work in Cary. More than commute out of Cary to Raleigh, for sure.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:16 AM

4,305 posts, read 5,995,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
No...and its because of economics. Think more about jobs and less about people. The Triangle refers to the Universities, as well as RTP. Businesses are attracted to the caliber of employee coming from the Triangle and set up research facilities at RTP.

In a greater sense, you may say Wake, Durham and Orange Counties are the Triangle. Cary is part of Wake and really just a really large bedroom community of Raleigh in that regard.
Cary has more commuters coming in to work there than it does heading out to work elsewhere.

It has the jobs and the economics, and it hasn't been merely a bedroom community for a while now.

I certainly won't dispute the weight/impact UNC has for Chapel Hill though.

And honestly, the whole "Triangle" thing is pretty irrelevant on the broader scale. Most people around the country don't even know what you mean when you say "the Triangle" or "Research Triangle" anyway.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:55 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,906,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Cary has been the "third city" for quite some time. Its population is three times that of Chapel Hill's and is an employment center in its own right. As of 2018, the OMB swapped out Chapel Hill in favor of Cary for inclusion in the name of the combined statistical area used by the census.

Chapel Hill of course has the distinction of being the home of UNC and thus being one of the points of the triangle that generated the name in the first place. So it will always have that going for it in terms of history and name recognition.

Since 2018?!! Didn’t know that. Really good info. Thank you! That’s huge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Cary has been an employment center for many years.
People live in Cary and work in Cary. More than commute out of Cary to Raleigh, for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Cary has more commuters coming in to work there than it does heading out to work elsewhere.

It has the jobs and the economics, and it hasn't been merely a bedroom community for a while now.

I certainly won't dispute the weight/impact UNC has for Chapel Hill though.

And honestly, the whole "Triangle" thing is pretty irrelevant on the broader scale. Most people around the country don't even know what you mean when you say "the Triangle" or "Research Triangle" anyway.
Thanks for posting yall . Not sure what HP was talking about. Seems a tad misinformed on his end.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:11 PM

11,223 posts, read 8,313,742 times
I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer, or if it even matters, but here's my take:

We are considered the triangle because of the shape.

RTP refers to Research Triangle Park, which is a nod to the Triangle, and to the concentration of Educated Workforce. It has been a very successful marketing strategy, but RTP and "the Triangle" are not the same thing.

Cary is, and has been a significant economic driver for a long time now.

So (in my unqualified opinion) it really depends on how you look at it.
-If you are looking at the shape, Cary is geographically just outside of the triangle, but logistically part of it. Not one of the three points.
-If you are looking at the major universities, Cary does not have one.
-If you are looking at RTP, none of them really matter. RTP is it's own entity
-If you are looking at economic impact, I would say that Cary is at least 3rd in the area. I don't know but I would not be surprised to see Cary surpass Durham in my lifetime with regards to Economic impact.

Just my opinion, but as I said, I really don't think it matters. It's all just "marketing" of the area. Every place does it.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer, or if it even matters, but here's my take:

We are considered the triangle because of the shape.

RTP refers to Research Triangle Park, which is a nod to the Triangle, and to the concentration of Educated Workforce. It has been a very successful marketing strategy, but RTP and "the Triangle" are not the same thing.

Cary is, and has been a significant economic driver for a long time now.

So (in my unqualified opinion) it really depends on how you look at it.
-If you are looking at the shape, Cary is geographically just outside of the triangle, but logistically part of it. Not one of the three points.
-If you are looking at the major universities, Cary does not have one.
-If you are looking at RTP, none of them really matter. RTP is it's own entity
-If you are looking at economic impact, I would say that Cary is at least 3rd in the area. I don't know but I would not be surprised to see Cary surpass Durham in my lifetime with regards to Economic impact.

Just my opinion, but as I said, I really don't think it matters. It's all just "marketing" of the area. Every place does it.
Really objective, nuanced answer. Well stated! I just don’t think one could overlook Cary being the economic driver it has become.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:09 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,981,173 times
Chapel Hill does suck and in no way lives up to its values Durham has talked the talk and walked the walk way more.

That being said its the 'Research Triangle' not the "suburban triangle" and it was always around the three universities

Old 07-13-2023, 12:49 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,549,426 times
Cute thought exercise: extrapolate the 2020-2022 estimated population growth rates forward, and Chapel Hill's population will fall behind not only Cary and Apex, but also Fuquay Varina, Holly Springs, and Wake Forest by 2029.

Chapel Hill is becoming a luxury suburb with a large college. They think they’re Heidelberg or Oxford, when really they’re becoming Swarthmore, Wellesley, or Coral Gables. Chapel Hill, like Berkeley, needs to get over itself and grow up, because stopping physical change only makes the inevitable social change worse.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Cute thought exercise: extrapolate the 2020-2022 estimated population growth rates forward, and Chapel Hill's population will fall behind not only Cary and Apex, but also Fuquay Varina, Holly Springs, and Wake Forest by 2029.

Chapel Hill is becoming a luxury suburb with a large college. They think they’re Heidelberg or Oxford, when really they’re becoming Swarthmore, Wellesley, or Coral Gables. Chapel Hill, like Berkeley, needs to get over itself and grow up, because stopping physical change only makes the inevitable social change worse.
Powerful post!

Old 07-14-2023, 06:18 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,587,592 times
I prefer the Wake Forrest, Durham, Holly Springs Triangle.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:30 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,587,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

Not quite apples for apples, but I grew up in a high priced liberal arts college city, where the townies were mostly lower middle class/poverty. At this point the college has gobbled up a lot of the cities land resource and put them into a tax sheltered business. They are raking in cash and paying no taxes, so the surrounding city ends up suffering. Lot of animosity between the college and city. It was in NY state and the city was surrounded by a town of the same name, so they had no where to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary