Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM

30 posts, read 76,108 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm flying tomorrow morning for a week to NC - Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Ashville, Aberdeen, Black Mountain, Banner Elk. I'm flying into Raleigh, then doing a road trip to those places and calling on clients at each, then back to Raleigh.

I have some questions, for which responses I would be deeply grateful - especially, as I'm using this as an opportunity to see if this is where I would like to relocate to.

Firstly, what's the weather like. Is it hot or cold or wet? Will I need a coat? Does a dress or two suffice?

Next, is calling on business very formal? Do I need a suit? Are black trousers and white shirt acceptable?

Will I need to bring warm clothes or is it well and truly summer?

I look forward to your reply.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:44 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
This week is going to be fairly warm around here. We're expecting highs in the upper 80s with a chance of thunderstorms, so it'll probably be a bit muggy, too. What can I say ... summer decided to arrive just in time for your visit!

Proper dress can vary a lot depending upon the industry. What sort of businesses will you be visiting while you're here? Are you going to job interviews?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:45 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Proper dress can vary a lot depending upon the industry. What sort of businesses will you be visiting while you're here? Are you going to job interviews?
Ditto MrsSteel's question about type of business you are conducting. That will help us better answer you.

Weather is going to be very hot and sticky. Thursday will be over 90, for example. Random rain showers and thunderstorms are expected.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
You won't need a jacket, but maybe an umbrella. It doesn't get cold enough in the evenings even for a sweater.

Most businesses are fairly casual. The men wear collared shirts or polo shirts, but few wear ties (again, business dependent). Most women don't wear suits unless they're in politics/law or some other business in which they have to dress up more.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:18 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
weather.com can be your friend. Try that or accuweather, as weather forcasts can change. It's finally starting to get a little humid, so I would say Summer has started.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:28 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
As a banker that has gone along on several client visits spanning many industries in the Southeast, I would recommend a suit. If you go with a skirt and jacket, no hose is required. I prefer pants and a jacket with a collared shirt (versus a shell) underneath. Then if the client's environment suggests it, I can remove the jacket.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:31 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
As a banker that has gone along on several client visits spanning many industries in the Southeast, I would recommend a suit. If you go with a skirt and jacket, no hose is required. I prefer pants and a jacket with a collared shirt (versus a shell) underneath. Then if the client's environment suggests it, I can remove the jacket.

Makes sense to me.

I would add:
You may not need a sweater or jacket in Raleigh, Charlotte, or Aberdeen this week, but Banner Elk and Asheville will probably make you glad you brought one.
The mountains will be cooler in the evenings.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
NOAA's National Weather Service is better than the weather channel (weather.com). Its going to be HOT HOT HOT. Especially if you're coming from up North.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
Always better to overdress than underdress. When in doubt, dress up.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Always better to overdress than underdress. When in doubt, dress up.
Ditto what both JJingle and frogandtoad recommend. I believe it is better to overdress than underdress. If you follow JJingle's suggestion, removing a jacket is an option if you are slightly overdressed. If you go in underdressed, i.e., too casual in a more formal environment, there is little you can do to remedy.

A first impression says a lot. When I greet and meet with individuals who come to my office, formal dress says a lot more than casual, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary