Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 08:20 PM

320 posts, read 256,317 times

Advertisements

https://indyweek.com/food-and-drink/...union-victory/

Is that morning latte heading to $20?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 08:41 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
https://indyweek.com/food-and-drink/...union-victory/

Is that morning latte heading to $20?
It won't. Worst case scenario from a corporate standpoint, the store will just close for "reasons" and then a new one opens up a mile down the road with new staff. I'm half joking when I say this, because at the end of the day it's corporate America.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:15 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,272 times
I was in France last spring during the strikes, the food service union made it miserable for our trip. No tables cause reduced staffing, the staff there all worked really slow and intentional gave bad service. Not something I would want to experience again here in the US for selfish reasons.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:27 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,234 times
Compulsive membership in the union still illegal furthermore the question of these people paying dues is always not addressed so it's all click bait and toothless

Old 12-14-2023, 01:40 PM

563 posts, read 955,796 times
There are unionized Starbucks in the US and a latte does not cost $20 there.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:41 PM

317 posts, read 181,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
There are unionized Starbucks in the US and a latte does not cost $20 there.
Not yet

Old 12-14-2023, 05:35 PM

320 posts, read 256,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It won't. Worst case scenario from a corporate standpoint, the store will just close for "reasons" and then a new one opens up a mile down the road with new staff. I'm half joking when I say this, because at the end of the day it's corporate America.
My understanding, as far as corporations go, is that Starbucks is very progressive and employee focused. Perks like free health care and tuition for part timers are quite generous.

They aren't exactly Carnegie Steel so the push for unionization is kind of baffling. But workers have the right to unionize if they so choose.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:40 AM

27,194 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
My understanding, as far as corporations go, is that Starbucks is very progressive and employee focused. Perks like free health care and tuition for part timers are quite generous.

They aren't exactly Carnegie Steel so the push for unionization is kind of baffling. But workers have the right to unionize if they so choose.
Like many American corporations they realized they were able as a company to continue to operate somewhat effectively during the pandemic with a scaled-down workforce. Ever since rather than rebuild to former staffing strength they have placed the same revenue volume (or higher) on the backs of fewer.

I would liken to the new "norm" of calling any customer service number and hearing the recording that due to unanticipated call volume your wait time will be one hour. Anyone with half a brain realizes they've thinned the herd of call center reps and that call volumes aren't unanticipated, and how these companies are hoarding eye-popping profits.

Meanwhile employees organizing for union representation is the crime at hand...

Old 12-15-2023, 09:29 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Like many American corporations they realized they were able as a company to continue to operate somewhat effectively during the pandemic with a scaled-down workforce. Ever since rather than rebuild to former staffing strength they have placed the same revenue volume (or higher) on the backs of fewer.

I would liken to the new "norm" of calling any customer service number and hearing the recording that due to unanticipated call volume your wait time will be one hour. Anyone with half a brain realizes they've thinned the herd of call center reps and that call volumes aren't unanticipated, and how these companies are hoarding eye-popping profits.

Meanwhile employees organizing for union representation is the crime at hand...
It's the responsibility of the corporation to make the company as cost efficient as possible including cutting levels of customer service to save money. If the company is successful in doing this, they become more profitable, stock price goes up and they make more money. If the customers do not like the reduced level of service, they will leave and go elsewhere. C-suite people get fired and a replacement comes in to change the company by increasing service levels.

The employees certainly have a right to unionize, but for that level of job, if you aren't happy with your working conditions, the easiest feedback is to go find another one.

(Don't get me started with Starbucks genius ability to make money off of people's addictions. Charging $5-7-10 for a coffee which could be made at home/work for $0.50 is absolute madness, but a huge segment of the population is addicted to coffee. Rivaled only by the bottled water companies who charge insane prices for a commodity which is almost free everywhere in the country).

Old 12-15-2023, 03:08 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
It's the responsibility of the corporation to make the company as cost efficient as possible including cutting levels of customer service to save money. If the company is successful in doing this, they become more profitable, stock price goes up and they make more money. If the customers do not like the reduced level of service, they will leave and go elsewhere. C-suite people get fired and a replacement comes in to change the company by increasing service levels.

The employees certainly have a right to unionize, but for that level of job, if you aren't happy with your working conditions, the easiest feedback is to go find another one.

(Don't get me started with Starbucks genius ability to make money off of people's addictions. Charging $5-7-10 for a coffee which could be made at home/work for $0.50 is absolute madness, but a huge segment of the population is addicted to coffee. Rivaled only by the bottled water companies who charge insane prices for a commodity which is almost free everywhere in the country).
I mean, you could also think more than 3 months ahead and avoid the constant cycle and still make profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: