Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM

179 posts, read 151,455 times

Advertisements

It has panned out as I expected 20 years ago, both here in the Triangle and in Northern CA.

What's the definition of McMansion? I dunno, let's just say "more than you need", but at this point most anyone with common sense can spot them right away.

The friends of mine who bought McMansions 20 years ago have generally seen about 200% value increase since then regardless of whether in this area or out west.

The smaller homes I bought around the same time are enjoying 300% at the same time. At the end of the day interest rates and real-world market conditions narrow the pool of buyers, and in uncertain times, the maintenance prices of a huge home and the "McMansion Gouging" that comes with it more than offsets whatever advantages folks thought they were getting by trying to impress the joneses.

Now, as an investor, just the sheer liquidity of owning multiple smaller homes with a price point that is much more approachable, in itself is enough to separate the genius investor from the mentally disadvantaged ones.

I have several friends who invested in these things and their cash output due to "McMansion Gouging" by contractors has eaten them alive along the way.

Ah well.. gluttony always ends how it does, doesn't it? It seems the key to success is to keep your investments under the radar instead of flaunting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 08:10 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Sir this is a wendys

Old 03-02-2024, 09:47 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
If people have money to spend, it's their choice how they want to spend it. Not my lifestyle but people can do what they want - it's a free country.

Old 03-03-2024, 06:58 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If people have money to spend, it's their choice how they want to spend it. Not my lifestyle but people can do what they want - it's a free country.
Right....and it's true that these are the people generally complaining they have no money to pay for kids' college etc.

But they bought the house to live in....others are always looking 20 years down the line.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:30 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
It is no crazy thought that smaller houses will appreciate more on a percentage basis than a large one. I mean that’s the biggest tip about buying new construction right, buy the smallest plan in the neighborhood.

This whole hating on “McMansions†thing has gotten so out of hand and is usually code for someone not liking the mere fact that someone bought a larger house than them, or sometimes just not liking the style.

Now, I’ll agree some people buy way more house than I would personally be comfortable with, but if they have the money then go for it.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:56 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Theres a difference between making an investment and buying a home.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:12 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
It has panned out as I expected 20 years ago, both here in the Triangle and in Northern CA.

What's the definition of McMansion? I dunno, let's just say "more than you need", but at this point most anyone with common sense can spot them right away.

The friends of mine who bought McMansions 20 years ago have generally seen about 200% value increase since then regardless of whether in this area or out west.

The smaller homes I bought around the same time are enjoying 300% at the same time. At the end of the day interest rates and real-world market conditions narrow the pool of buyers, and in uncertain times, the maintenance prices of a huge home and the "McMansion Gouging" that comes with it more than offsets whatever advantages folks thought they were getting by trying to impress the joneses.

Now, as an investor, just the sheer liquidity of owning multiple smaller homes with a price point that is much more approachable, in itself is enough to separate the genius investor from the mentally disadvantaged ones.

I have several friends who invested in these things and their cash output due to "McMansion Gouging" by contractors has eaten them alive along the way.

Ah well.. gluttony always ends how it does, doesn't it? It seems the key to success is to keep your investments under the radar instead of flaunting them.

Our ~2300 SF love nest is "more than we need." "McMansion?" Whatever.
Tripled in value in 22 years.

We're satisfied with our investment.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:23 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post

The smaller homes I bought around the same time are enjoying 300% at the same time.
A 300% gain over 20 years is just over 6% per annum. I think the Dow did about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Theres a difference between making an investment and buying a home.
A house to live in is not an investment.
If you are investing in real estate, you need to do your homework, regardless if it is a McMansion, condo, etc, etc.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:34 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
A 300% gain over 20 years is just over 6% per annum. I think the Dow did about the same.

A house to live in is not an investment.
If you are investing in real estate, you need to do your homework, regardless if it is a McMansion, condo, etc, etc.
Well...
I don't look at a home as a consumable, either.
Why do we consider resale value, if it is not an investment? If we can calculate a positive OR negative return as we can with any other investment, I would contend a house would qualify as an "investment."

I can calculate a return if/when we sell our house, allowing for costs of transactions in and out, allowing for applicable costs of ownership: maintenance, upgrades, expansions, taxes, HOA dues, repairs, etc.

I could agree with:
"A house to live in is not always a wise or highly profitable investment."

Old 03-03-2024, 08:38 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
A house to live in is not an investment.If you are investing in real estate, you need to do your homework, regardless if it is a McMansion, condo, etc, etc.
Yes, thats correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary