Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Baltimore to Triangle Area of North Carolina, seeking advice on pros and cons of the following school districts; Wake Co, Durham, Orange, Chapel Hill

Old 06-28-2008, 11:01 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,333 times

Advertisements

I've lurked for a while and seen several topics pertaining to WCPSS and why not to teach there.

This concerns me, because my wife and I are planning a move down to the Triangle area next summer from the Baltimore area.* She's a middle-school teacher and wants to continue her career down there in a system much unlike that of Baltimore. Me, I'm looking to work on a PhD from Duke or UNC and possibly teach at a community college at the same time (if I'm not offered a GTA position at either school).

My question is this: out of Wake Co., Durham, Orange, and Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to continuing to post here.

* Neither of us is actually from Baltimore; I grew up in VA, and she split time in VA and NYC. She has family in Raleigh and Clayton, so we're not completely northern transplants (especially not me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:13 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
I think it depends on what you are looking for. I'm not sure anyone here will be able to give you all of the advantages/disadvantages of each individual school system, but I think they are all good.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
I have children in school in Durham and thus only have direct experience w/ DPS. And from what I see there is quite a bit of difference just within DPS as far as advantages and disadvantages go. It just depends on the school, principal, and parents... which all do vary.

Also it's going to depend on what level your wife teaches. For instance, in Wake Co there are year round elementary schools but the high schools are on a traditional calendar. Plus, year round is subjective... some see it as an advantage and others see it as a disadvantage.

It might help to find out what your wife is looking for specially and then people can make a recommendation of a particular district.

Edit: Sorry I just saw that you mentioned she was a middle school teacher.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
I am not sure you can make apples to apples comparisons. The four systems discussed are of very different sizes, facing differing growth patterns, and comprised of differing student populations (eg- % ag status, ses, & migrant (which affects attendance), etc). I have kids in the wcpss and their ongoing attention to the growth provides opportunities as well as potential for problems. We are in the north raleigh area and the teachers are tremendous. I have met/friends with teachers at wakefield, west millbrook and ligon middle schools and they all enjoy their jobs from what I have heard. They all have pretty good principals. One significant change that wcpss seems to be headed for is reducing the disparity between schools so that there aren't good schools and bad schools in the same system. Not sure what effect that will have on the well run schools with a lot of parent input & volunteers. If you have family in the area, then you'll be able to put out a network to ask which individual schools have the best administration. :-) If you wife is interested at all in moving into administration, it might be a great place for her to work because new schools are opening and they seem to be filling positions from within.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:20 PM

655 posts, read 916,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I've lurked for a while and seen several topics pertaining to WCPSS and why not to teach there.

This concerns me, because my wife and I are planning a move down to the Triangle area next summer from the Baltimore area.* She's a middle-school teacher and wants to continue her career down there in a system much unlike that of Baltimore. Me, I'm looking to work on a PhD from Duke or UNC and possibly teach at a community college at the same time (if I'm not offered a GTA position at either school).

My question is this: out of Wake Co., Durham, Orange, and Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to continuing to post here.

* Neither of us is actually from Baltimore; I grew up in VA, and she split time in VA and NYC. She has family in Raleigh and Clayton, so we're not completely northern transplants (especially not me).
Just a small piece of advice I found to be true and so did many others I work with. Although there is a notion that they need educators in this area and will hire you prior to your relocate, it is, in fact difficult. Myself, and several others applied for months before finally getting a few calls for interviews. I was highly qualified for the positions I was applying for and assure you my resume stood out over the average applicants. I saw position after position open up only to get no response. Same with many others I knew who were trying to relocate. I did some research and found they like to hire you once you have already moved.......so I moved. Bingo, it took a week and I had three jobs offers!

From what I have heard, many accept jobs long distance and then change their minds or their relocate plans get changed. Most perspective employers like to meet an applicant in person too. I know for years when I ran my own business, I would never hire anyone I did not sit down with. Something about reading a person's body language and seeing them eye to eye I think. It's human nature.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,333 times
So far I've seen some good advice from folks... I suppose I should offer a little more information.

My wife wants a teaching experience where the system emphasizes high performance from students, where there are ample resources and supportive administration, and where it's not inner city. In short, she wants to get out of where she currently teaches.

Benefits are important as well, but we realize that that package won't be comparable to what she receives here.

She would like to work in Wake County so as not to have a long commute (almost every house we've looked at buying is in Raleigh), because she doesn't like driving as m

Our relocation plans will be solidified come next March, but we won't be able to move until June or July. So she'd probably have to apply before her year here ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary