Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 21,303 times

Advertisements

Although I was looking forward to 1/2 day K for my kids (personal preference), I much prefer full day then the way they do it in some of the towns here in MI... M, W and every other F or T, Th and every other Friday. Try getting your 5 year old into that routine. Never mind if they get sick or a holiday falls on a day they are suppose to attend. It causes much more separation anxiety and a they spend a lot more time reviewing things already taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:13 PM

306 posts, read 719,521 times
I'm sorry, but are you guys serious? These kids are 5 and 6...........they aren't babies anymore. Going to school and learning is a part of life. A full day of class won't harm them.
I can see how someone who's never been in a classroom environment might need a little adjustment time, but children are very resilient and can adapt quickly. Please give them the credit they deserve.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:20 PM

353 posts, read 995,728 times
Well, since you asked, yes, I can speak for myself, I am QUITE serious. I went to K half day, and at the age of 5, that seems to be all a child needs -- especially when the schools freely admit they do NO teaching in the afternoons, and basically play around until the "bell rings". That is little more than state-subsidized daycare, in my opinion, so if I have to choose between leaving my daughter in daycare for an afternoon or keeping her home with me in the afternoon, I will choose to keep her home and GLADLY.

I am so sick and tired of everyone telling me how "resilient" kids are. If you'll pardon my candor, that is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. Just because a kid can endure something doesn't mean s/he should . And since I am her parent, it is totally up to me to decide what I want her to "endure" anyway.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:27 PM

188 posts, read 1,144,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
especially when the schools freely admit they do NO teaching in the afternoons, and basically play around until the "bell rings". That is little more than state-subsidized daycare, in my opinion, so if I have to choose between leaving my daughter in daycare for an afternoon or keeping her home with me in the afternoon, I will choose to keep her home and GLADLY.
As I mentioned earlier, I am a Kindergarten teacher in WCPSS. Although we DO have recess and rest, we DO NOT play around until the bell rings. We teach science, math, and thematic centers in the afternoons. Kindergarten here in NC is like 1st Grade elsewhere. I know, because I have taught 1st Grade in PA and MI. Just remember that Kindergarten has changed since we were in school.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 PM

353 posts, read 995,728 times
Well, that is contrary to anything I have heard, but either way, I still feel that for a child who has never been in a daycare or other classroom setting, getting tossed into a full day of kindergarten can, and probably will, be overwhelming.

Since my dd will not attend WCPSS (we left Raleigh JUST to get away from the schools), maybe it is different there than in any other k class in NC.

I intend to find out, to be sure!

*bows out*

Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
I agree with liping - my DD just finished kindergarten and trust me she didn't play all afternoon! She did centers which was computers, art, music, gym, math, science etc... Also keeping them in all day teaches them what to expect in 1st grade in relation to routine, respecting others, and heck my daughter can READ and WRITE which is expected when they start 1st grade. It is no longer know your abc's and count to 10 and know your colors. My daughter can now count by 2's, 5's, 10's and past 100. She can use a calendar, and she can tell time by the hour. She did have a chance to do the More At Four preschool for ONE year because I kept her at home before that. Trust me Kindergarten is more than just a "daycare/babysitter" - as a parent I feel you are doing your child an injustice keeping them out of school - unless you are homeschooling of course. Why not give them a head start instead of being behind from day 1? Just my opinion, not saying yours is wrong, but neither is mine

Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
My child most definitely did not play in the afternoons in KG in a WCPSS (I volunteered in the afternoons on a regular basis). It was packed with activities from art, music, Computers and technology, PE, hands on science, reading circles, leadership, media center and out of the classroom activities (like nature walks, interacting with local HS students who came to help with reading, local presenters such as authors, artists and musicians and other special events).

I think what is meant when they say that everything is learned in first half of the day is that the most basic academics are taught then. So if a child were to go only 1/2 a day and understood that minimal material, they would be able to progress to the next grade as that is what the minimal assessments are based on. But the second half of the day is enrichment, practice and educational material that is not reflected in the most basic skills necessary to progress to first grade.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:21 AM

306 posts, read 719,521 times
I agree with lamishra. I also volunteered in my child's classroom when she was in Kindergarten and they do not "just play" in the afternoons. I'm not sure where the information came from that WCPSS "freely admits" to not teaching in the afternoons, but I personally beg to differ. From what I experienced, the afternoons were VERY beneficial to the children from a learning standpoint. And it got them ready for first grade! :-)

Old 07-02-2008, 06:44 AM

29 posts, read 118,302 times
As far as I know full day kindergarten has always been the norm in NC. I went to KG in NC back in the 70s (albeit a different county) and it was full day. I'm surprised to find people upset about this as if it's a brand new decision handed down by those devils at WCPSS.

But my question... if you elect not to send your child to kindergarten, will then a full-day first grade be "too much" for them? Is going full day at 5 so much different than going full day at 6?

Last edited by marathonali; 07-02-2008 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: edited for clarity (maybe)

Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Full day kindergarten worked fine for us - and she didn't go to preschool and also started school at 4 years old. I worried a lot about the "too much for her" syndrome - but she was fine. I even asked about enrolling her for a half day only, but I was gently told if I felt she couldn't hack it for the full day program, then perhaps we should hold her out a year.... (private school). She's in high school now and is very glad she will be OUT at 17 (but thats a whole other post, LOL)......

Back to Kindergarten.. they did the academic stuff in the morning - lunch, playground, naptime and specials in the afternoon. She loved it.

They did nap more (longer) during the first part of the year - by New Years they were watching a movie during "wind down time" with those needing a nap still getting 40 winks - by spring it had pretty much disappeared as they matured and moved closer to the end of the year... nobody took a nap !

We made sure she had plenty of sleep - for most of the year she needed 11 or so hours a night !

The hardest part was simply being away from her all day long - it was harder for me than her !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary