Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 PM

50 posts, read 132,360 times

Advertisements

Greetings WF experts, we would like to plan a visit to Wake Forest this Fall. We only have 1.5 days for this initial visit, but we plan to return before the end of the year. Looking to move in 2010 or 2011.

We are looking for a sub-division with pools, clubhouse activities, fitness center, bike/walking trails. A golf course would be a nice perk but is not necessary. Here are some other wish list items:
  • Parents who volunteer in the community (schools, scouting, sports, etc.)
  • Lot size at least 1/2 acre
  • Brick/stone exterior
  • 4BR with guest suite on 1st floor for visits from parents/in-laws
  • Would like at least 3600 sq ft
  • Budget about $1M
I know about the redistricting in Wake County, so I'm also exploring private schools for our children, who are in elementary school. Looking for a non-sectarian school in the area, but I'm not having much luck. Other than Ravenscroft, what are the other private non-sectarian schools near WF? Initially someone had suggested North Raleigh Christian Academy, but the info. on their web site seemed quite alarming to me personally, so it has really discouraged me from considering religious-based schools.

Some questions...
a) A friend recommended an agent who kept steering us to Cary because he thought it would "fit us best." Perhaps we'll look at Cary during the next visit, but I would like to concentrate in N. Raleigh/WF this time. Long story short -- got rid of that agent. Will it be a problem for us to look at homes without an agent? Of course we plan to have one, but I'm not sure if agents are interested in working with a family with such an elongated timeline.

b) May consider building a home and we definitely want a buyer's agent who is thoroughly familiar with the WF area, local builders/sub-contractors, and the process of building a home. Any problems with visiting sales offices without having an agent on the initial visit?

c) Interested in checking out...
  • Heritage (lots look small in online pics, though)
  • Wakefield Plantation
  • Hasentree (has anyone seen the Family Activity Club since it opened?)
Any thoughts on these subs or the builders? Any parts of these subdivisions that you would steer clear of? Are builders being more flexible considering current market conditions? Anyone have pics of Wakefield and Hasentree? [North_Raleigh_Guy, are you out there with your camera?)

Thanks much for reading this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 06:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWA2go View Post

Anyone have pics of Wakefield and Hasentree? [North_Raleigh_Guy, are you out there with your camera?)

Thanks much for reading this.
Always!

I don't have much on Hasentree and nothing yet for Wakefield. Here are a few exterior shots of a couple of homes in Hasentree that I took back in 2007 during the parade of homes. Sadly, they did not allow photos of the interior of the homes so I was only able to get exterior shots which do not do the homes justice. I would love to go back to Hasentree to get more shots, but I think there is a guard at the front entrance and I'm not sure if they would let me in!

I actually drove through part of the Estate Section in Wakefield just a few weeks ago. Some of those properties were amazing looking! I may grab some shots of those in the future. If I do, I will post them back here.

Sorry I don't have much at this point. FWIW, there are some great posters on here who know a ton about Wake Forest and the housing options there. I'm sure they will chime in soon.

Good Luck!

Just a few quick shots of Hasentree ~ 2007 Parade of Homes:

Parade Home #9 at Hasentree (Awesome House!)

Another Parade Home at Hasentree

View of the Golf Course at Hasentree

Another Hasentree Home (Not a Parade home but it was holding an Open House)

Random Shots of People Walking to see Parade homes at Hasentree

People being Shuttled around at Hasentree

Old 07-15-2008, 06:31 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
You might want to look at this thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ke-forest.html

Old 07-15-2008, 08:13 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I live in wake forest, and have friends in all three locations, hasentree, heritage and wakefield. Well, I would say that they all have a different vibe! Heritage is definitely the most built out, and the big downside for me about wakefield is that there are powerlines that run through the subdivision. It definitely doesn't seem to affect people in buying their homes, but it bothers me! The lots are smaller for sure than other neighborhoods.

Heritage has more diversity in their houses, in my opinion. The neighborhood is quite big but you get a feel for the different sections. Again, the lots are small in some of the areas, but it is quite family oriented and all of my friends who live there really love it!

Hasentree is beautiful, some huge houses, some smaller houses. The neighborhood has bigger lots because of it is on the west side of town, and is on septic. They have a whole neighborhood septic system which then uses the grey water for the golf course, etc. I haven't been out there in a month, but I thought the family center was primed to open soon. There are a number of families there, and it is slowly getting more people in there. They are also now building the Groves, which is across the street from the main area. Basically, hasentree's entrance is off of 98, and if you take keith road to the left when you go into the development, it shoots out onto stony hill road, cross stony hill and you are in the groves. I think they are starting in the 800k range, the downside is having to drive to the family center, etc. The houses are not quite complete yet, but look to be done soon.

There are some other great neighborhoods in wake forest that are in the 500-700 range, that I love............they may be worth checking out.

Galloway
Glenmoor
St. Ives

As far as schools go, my daughter attends north forest pines elementary, but that is a wake county school. Many people talk about franklin academy, which is a charter school with an excellent reputation. Of course, they have 1400 applications with 35 spots each year, so it is tough to get into! There is a new charter school opening this year, Endeavor Charter, and it is along the same lines as franklin academy. Charter schools are not a part of the wake county system, and anyone can apply, and you don't get reassigned from them. Many of them do not provide transportation though. Also, Thales Academy is opening in wake forest, and I am not sure the grade it is up to at this point, but they plan on adding on every year. It was started by the same person who started franklin academy. Right now it is 5k a year, which is quite inexpensive around here. Those schools might be something you want to check out.

Also, carolina parent magazine (carolinaparent.com) has an excellent issue regarding schools in the triangle, and I think you can get their information online in their resource section. But it lists all of the public, charter, private, religious, etc schools in the triangle. It gives websites, etc. It is definitely a great resource to help muddle through all of the information out there.

I lived in cary, apex, raleigh, and grew up in chapel hill. I definitely love wake forest! But, honestly, it seems everyone loves the smaller towns they live in, cary wasn't for me, but that's just me. Wake forest feels like a small town, but is spread out enough that traffic doesn't seem to get terrible.

Anyhow, good luck!

Leigh

Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
As a person in Wake Forest I can ditto the comments made by the other Wake Forest-ites. You can find exactly what you are looking for here in Wake Forest. Even calculating with new math concepts one can calculate a sub 'Division' in both short and long hand that will fit your equation. One can feel confident to even double down and, as they say take a high five when settling in the sleepy little town of Wake Forest.

Key is to see as much as you can in the 1.5 days you will be here. One word of technicality, Wakefield is in Raleigh and not Wake Forest unless my town boundary's have become fluid and moved on me. Heritage @ Wake Forest is limited in the $1M and above homes but do have everything else you are looking for.

...and yes Wake Forest even has an abundance of involved parents who volunteer in scouting, schools, and sports even! Imagine that!

One other non musical note I can release is I know your time is limited but you may want to look at other areas within the triangle so you have an appreciation of the area and allows you to better assess Wake Forest as it relates to the surrounding area.

Good luck with your visit and welcome to Wake Forest, Wake County's forest in the north!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:51 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
You might also look into The Gates of Ethan's Glen. It's at the North End of Raliegh (Hwy 98 & Peed Rd) that is a new development in your price range. It does have a community pool and is very close to Falls Lake. It has many natural trees and is in a beautiful area that isn't as congestive. The others have already told you about the great places in Wake Forest. There is also a new development going in right next to Chatsworth subdivsion.. (off of Norwood Rd) just underway. Do not know the plan yet as far as amenities but might be worth checking into. There is a website you can visit with all the private schools in the area. http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh118j.htm (broken link)

Welcome to the area.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
You might also look into The Gates of Ethan's Glen. It's at the North End of Raliegh (Hwy 98 & Peed Rd) that is a new development in your price range. It does have a community pool and is very close to Falls Lake. It has many natural trees and is in a beautiful area that isn't as congestive.
Oh yes. I love Ethan's Glen too!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...h-raleigh.html

Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 PM

29 posts, read 151,575 times
Hi- I live in Hasentree and love it. The Family Activities Center has been open for a couple of months and it is great. There are all sorts of activities for kids and the whole family- something planned almost every day of the week. Several homes have sold in just the past 2 weeks and quite a few of the lots have sold or are being held by builders who will build the home that you choose. My husband and son have been fishing a couple of times in the lake and have caught 30 + fish both times! Some of the upcoming activities- day camp for the kids, ladies night out, a pedicure and martini night for the ladies, couples golf date nights, a luau party for the kids, mommy and me, etc... The golf course is gorgeous.
You can check out hasentree.com for available homes, but with your timeline you could certainly work with a builder and build your own home. There are homes in here in the 800k-4.5 mil range, but most of the ones that are lived in currently are in the 1- 1.5 mil range.
It is also very close to shopping in WF and my husband works in Raleigh, between the two beltlines and it takes him about 25 minutes one way.
We are happy with the public school option for our neighborhood which is N. Forest Pines.
Hope this helps- feel free to contact me if you need more info. Also, our real estate agent was extremely knowledgeable about all neighborhoods in N. Raleigh and WF- I can give you her name if you are interested- she would not mind your timeline and it definitely helps to have an agent when you go into the neighborhoods. Otherwise, if an agent from that neighborhood shows you a home and then you go back later with another agent, there may be some ill will. I don't think that they are all like that, but I have experienced that in the past.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:59 PM

Oh my goodness. So many informative responses. I will sift through these replies in the morning after some coffee. The heat of summer is finally setting in, so I've been staying at the pool too long with my children this past week, but we had so much fun.... except for the bike ride back home. (Mom was just a wee bit tired after battling them in a few sets of tennis. Mom vs. kids. They had me running all over the court, and that was after the swimming!) How many days until school begins?

I'll turn my brain back on in the morning and review all of these fantastic replies.

Thanks much!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 PM

North_Raleigh_Guy, those pictures of Hasentree are incredible. I had almost forgotten how much I miss those beautiful trees. Stunning. Thank you for sharing them.

Leighbhe: Thank you for the web site with the schools guide. It is quite helpful. I must confess that I'm unfamiliar with charter schools. I'm not aware of any of these in my area, so I will do some research on those. Are these considered public or private schools? Just wondering because when I accessed the Franklin Academy web site, I was unable to find details regarding tuition.

I've been researching The Gates of Ethan's Glen. Lovely homes and lots, and the community pool is nice. However, we currently live in a Clubhouse community (family activities, fitness center, pools, tennis courts), and my children love those amenities. In fact, DH and the kids just rode their bikes to the pool, so I'm enjoying a few moments of quiet.

I know we will plan to visit Heritage and Hasentree in Wake Forest during our initial visit.

Dansdrive: Good advice. If time permits, we hope to drive through other areas, too. Otherwise, we'll visit Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary on subsequent visits.

Sistersville: Your feedback has been invaluable. It certainly helps to receive input from someone who recently relocated to Hasentree. The activities for families, couples and moms sound similar to what we're used to. However, the pedicure and martini night sounds brilliant -- will have to suggest that to our Activities Manager.

Many thanks for all the great info. Keep the suggestions coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary