Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 AM

257 posts, read 1,014,690 times

Advertisements

I have not visited any of the developments, but have "virtually visited" those of possible interest to me. The prices seen considerably less than other developments I've "virtually seen." How is the quality?
TIA, Judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 31,154 times
From what I saw last week, out house hunting, they merely offer less upgrades.

For instance you may get Formica or Corian as opposed to granite.

Other that that, I believe the structure of the homes and the developments are equally good.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 AM

98 posts, read 301,758 times
Could be the location-Centex in Rolesville is lower than say Centex in Harrington Grove-All about the location!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM

167 posts, read 566,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmahoney View Post
From what I saw last week, out house hunting, they merely offer less upgrades.

For instance you may get Formica or Corian as opposed to granite.

Other that that, I believe the structure of the homes and the developments are equally good.
I agree. Less upgrades available and less "customization" available. Sure you get to choose your carpeting for example, but there's less choices than with other builders. However, because there are fewer choices the upgrades can be less expensive. I close on my centex townhome in raleigh in 3 weeks exactly! can't wait!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:10 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times
Centex typically gets high marks among tract builders in the triangle area.

The prices you are seeing are low for two reasons - 1 - they are base prices, and a typical Centex home buyer will spend 15-20% on upgrades if they don't plan on doing things on their own after the fact, and 2 - some of them are just not in great areas...Ganyard Farm in Durham is one that, while the homes are nice, is not in one of the more desirable sections of Durham so the prices are somewhat lower than developments further south.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
I live in a Centex townhome community in Cary. I love my place and feel it is very well built. My only complaint are my wood floors (entire first floor) - they must be an engineered type of floor - they are soft, scratch/dent easily. Not too reilient.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:49 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Centex typically gets high marks among tract builders in the triangle area.
sneezecake, when you say "gets high marks" what is this based on? I'm not questioning what you are saying. Everyone that I know that owns a Centex home likes it and speaks well of them and says similar things. I just wonder if there has been some sort of local survey (that you might be referring to) that rates home builder statisfaction.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I live in a Centex townhome community in Cary. I love my place and feel it is very well built. My only complaint are my wood floors (entire first floor) - they must be an engineered type of floor - they are soft, scratch/dent easily. Not too reilient.
We had engineered floors in our Pulte home. I hated them. The littlest bit of water caused water damage and they dented so easily. I would never have them again.

The Centex single family homes that were built in Cary recently (Bishops Gate and Weston Oaks) are beautiful and included tons of upgrades. Again, I guess it depends on the area and the base price.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
I'd certainly rank Centex high among the tract builders. I was impressed with their homes that I saw in Grandale, however I think their higher-end homes' price points are in some cases comparable to custom spec homes you'll find in other neighborhoods. At those price points (i.e. - low $400s +), you'll find a better-constructed home with the customs than you will the Centex...i.e. - closer spacing w/ studs, 2x6 balloon framing, craftsman detailing, etc...

Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
sneezecake, when you say "gets high marks" what is this based on? I'm not questioning what you are saying. Everyone that I know that owns a Centex home likes it and speaks well of them and says similar things. I just wonder if there has been some sort of local survey (that you might be referring to) that rates home builder statisfaction.
They're generally very highly ranked by JD Powers.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2007166 (broken link)

In 2007, Centex was highest in customer satisfaction, tied w/ Lennar for new home quality and highest in home design for Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary