Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 PM

110 posts, read 332,684 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're thinking of relocating to the Raleigh area from NJ. NJ is now a so-called "non-smoking" state (since last April) and we've really really come to enjoy going out to eat, bowling or what-have-you and not coming home reeking of smoke. We almost don't remember what it was like! Our experience has always been that the "non-smoking" sections of restaurants and diners etc are pretty much a joke and no protection if smoke makes you wheeze, your eyes itch, or gives you headaches.

What are the rules in North Carolina for smoking in public buildings and the work-place? Forewarned is forearmed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
There are no laws regulating smoking in restaurants. Some restaurants are smoke-free but most have smoking sections.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:07 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Summary of NC Tobacco Use Laws

http://slati.lungusa.org/state-teml.asp?id=33

American Lung Association

Last edited by mm34b; 01-25-2007 at 01:17 AM..

Old 01-25-2007, 06:12 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I have to say that I do not like smoke, and I notice it if I am around it. I have noticed in the past two years that there are many more non smoking restaurants in the area than their used to be. That is not to say all are like that, but there certainly are more than in the past.

Tobacco country here, you know. Tremendous number of people make their living off of it, so NC is not going to be a progressive as other states in this regard.

Leigh

Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times
I tend to eat out more than eating at home. I have noticed alot of restaurants that I go to, I never even see a smoker. Some of them you can't even smoke in anymore. It seems to be rare that they even ask me anymore smoking or non smoking?

Old 01-25-2007, 06:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
It's kinda funny...we get this question (or similar) almost twice a month here now.
I bet if half of the people in this state who really want smoke-free laws wrote their state legislators about it, we'd get a ban too! (Hint hint hint!!!)

Anyway, fortunately the Triangle area being full of a lot of transplants plus highly educated means that a good number of restaurants try to meet their customers' demands by being voluntarily smoke-free. Or at the least, restricting it to the bar. Unfortunately it's no where near enough, in my opinion, but it's better than most of the rest of the state.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
It's kinda funny...we get this question (or similar) almost twice a month here now.
I bet if half of the people in this state who really want smoke-free laws wrote their state legislators about it, we'd get a ban too! (Hint hint hint!!!)

Anyway, fortunately the Triangle area being full of a lot of transplants plus highly educated means that a good number of restaurants try to meet their customers' demands by being voluntarily smoke-free. Or at the least, restricting it to the bar. Unfortunately it's no where near enough, in my opinion, but it's better than most of the rest of the state.
I think the frequent questions are from newcomers coming mainly from more restrictive states of the northeastern U.S.

I understand why the state legislators are reluctant to impose a statewide ban on public tobacco use or even allow county or city governments to do so. Tobacco pumps 7 billion dollars into the North Carolina's economy.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
^ well, being reluctant to pass a statewide ban is one thing, but to disallow cities or counties from doing it is plain ridiculous. Most cities and counties have *no* ties to tobacco at all...they should be allowed to do what is best for their local residents' interests. Not be restricted cuz some state legislators from five counties over gets donations from a cigarette company.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:11 AM

[quote=RaleighRob;305234 Most cities and counties have *no* ties to tobacco at all...:[/QUOTE]

Oh, but they do. Tobacco money is used to buy goods and services from those who do not produce, manufacture or distribute tobacco products. Employees of those non-tobacco related businesses in turn buy more homes, cars, boats, furniture, college educations and so on. Everyone who lives in North Carolina gets a portion of that 7 billion directly or indirectly. It's a dilemma for sure.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-25-2007 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 AM

110 posts, read 332,684 times
Thanks! That's all very interesting. I'm assuming then that work places are smoke free? Except the bars and restaurants of course.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary