Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM

89 posts, read 306,449 times

Advertisements

Five Guys by far! My first and only 2 experiences with CookOut were burgers so soaked in grease it was nasty, everything we had was far from "okay". I know its really popular due to cost and they are opened really late which helps for some people. Five Guys is my fav burger place. Before Id attempt Cookout again I'll go to Sonic. Just my own personal experience, not bashing the place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
My vote is for Chargrill (the one on Hillsborough). I had both on the same day (heart attack city but it was 4th of July!) and while Cook Out's shakes can't be beat, the fries and burgers at Chargrill were SOOO much better. And Chargrill's burger seemed a tad bit small (you can order bigger, but I just got whatever the regular one was), but I actually didn't feel terrible after finishing the meal, so that was a plus for me.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-23-2009 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Deleted off topic comment

Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 AM

147 posts, read 427,679 times
Never use 93/7 to make your burgers...sure they will be better for you...but where is the flavor? The secret most restauruants use is 80/20, and then to add insult to injury...maybe a little shot of butter to finish it off. Those juicy burgers we all love are juicy because of the FAT baby

Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 AM

147 posts, read 427,679 times
Char-Grill on Hillsborough St. is the only real Char-Grill. Born and raised in Raleigh I think they are the best burgers in town. Abby Road was a huge let down for me. I'm a huge Beatles fan, and all the press on the burger had me hyped to try it, but alas it was just another burger. Grill 57 in Garner has a pretty mean burger. Cook-Out and 5 Guys have decent premade burger patties on a bun. The mention of PT's Grill in Wilmington is the biggest yet. Went to school there and didnt come home for 14 yrs. PT's Grill was not the only reason I didnt leave the area, but it was a contributing factor. If you are heading to Wilmington to hit the beach, treat yourself and have a burger. Served hot in a plastic basket with a heaping order of hand cut lemon pepper seasoned fries.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-23-2009 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Deleted the off-topic religious comment

Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
If I could order a Char-Grill (hamburger steak jr.) with 5guys' selection of unlimited toppings and their fries, I'd be in heaven.
:-)

Old 08-23-2009, 09:56 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
I used to grill with this all of the time but after years I tried 85/15 again and have never looked back. I no longer buy 93/7 unless I am frying it inside for a dish... its just too dry for the grill/a burger.
Yep. Leaner meat actually makes a worse burger, generally speaking.

Have never tried any of these places (I almost never eat fast food anymore and prefer cooking my own burgers too) but there is a Cookout nearby, might give a go.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Deleted off topic comments

Old 08-23-2009, 10:07 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Char Grill. End of story.

Vicki

Old 08-23-2009, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,233 times
Char Grill is the closest to that old-school, suburban "malt shop" that happened to double as a grill
Cook Out is the grill from the other side of the tracks

Taste-wise, its all about ur calorie count. If ur free to eat the extra layer of breading on the chicken strips, AND the high-cal milkshake with added chunks of whatever the shake is named after, COOK OUT is ur choice. If u love burgers and fries, but wanna be able to go back to work after eating a meal for lunch, CHAR GRILL is where u wanna be.

I myself prefer COOK OUT. my gf prefers CHAR GRILL. She actually worked at a small-town grill when she was young, and says CHAR GRILL's food reminds her of that taste more than COOK OUT's food

Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
I always found hard bits of bone or something in my hamburger meat almost every time I ate at Char-grill, so I stopped going there.

Five Guys has good hamburgers, but I don't care much for their fries even though you get a big bag full. To me, the fries make or break the meal.

Cook Out has great fries and the hamburgers are decent, but there's no air conditioned seating area to eat in which I think helps keep their prices low due to having less overhead costs. Their shakes are hard to beat and rival some of the area ice cream shops in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 PM

13 posts, read 62,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Harris Teeter for me.
93/7 fresh ground beef.

Slap them thar patties into shape. Then rub 'em with some fixins, and flop 'em on a hot grill.
Go read the paper for a few minutes while they sear, and flip 'em.
Read Barry Saunders, and maybe Rob Christensen, and then out to mash 'em with the flipper....
I was with you right up to that point, but then you lost me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary