Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:35 PM

133 posts, read 393,361 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area, but this sound scared me when I first heard it because it sounds like a warning siren... like an air-raid siren. Didn't know if the nuclear power plant had exploded or something. I live in the south end of Cary near Penny Road and I've heard this siren routinely now, I think once a day? Can't remember what time, but it's constant and lasts only for a minute or less. What is it and what does it mean? Sounds like an air-raid siren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:11 PM

58 posts, read 202,075 times
Default Fire Station

I had the same reaction after first moving to Walnut & Tryon. I'm not positive, but I've heard it's the fire station there. It goes off when the regular fire fighters are out (plausably too busy) to signal the volunteer fire fighters to be "on the ready" - if not come to the station.

It seems that the volunteers are VERY busy by the rate it seems that it goes off to me.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 PM

241 posts, read 934,553 times
I thought the noise was from the nuke plant, I thought they were testing their sirens periodically or ?... good to know it might be the fire station but... err... wow, it does go off a lot!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
It's the old siren at Swift Creek Vol. Fire Dept. It's only purpose for sounding is for nostalgic reasons since the volunteers all have pagers. Anytime the siren sounds means the station has a call.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I live around the corner from one of the main Cary fireststations on Maynard and Cary Towne Center Blvd. Their sirens go off about once every couple of hours.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:32 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
Yes, I think its the station at Ten-Ten & HS road...by the childcare center. My kids went there briefly and I was picking them up & heard it....I about passed out before someone said it was a firestation. We were new to town and I was still getting used to Harris being so close!!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I live around the corner from one of the main Cary fireststations on Maynard and Cary Towne Center Blvd. Their sirens go off about once every couple of hours.
The sirens you hear, which are on the front of a fire engine, are totally different than the siren at Swift Creek F.D. which is located on a pole! The fire station siren is probably 10 times louder!!

Here's an example of the siren you hear:

YouTube - Q2B siren

Here's an example of the siren at S.C.F.D.

YouTube - Mechanical Fire Siren

Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,560 times
It is the siren for the VFD that you are hearing, either Swift Creek VFD or Fairview VFD depending on what end of Penny road you are on.

The siren goes off for every call that that particular dept. gets. Both of those depts. are paid/volunteer combination stations, meaning they have paid staff (usually 3-4 people, supplemented by volunteers) during the day, and are all volunteer at night.

The siren is mostly nostalgic now as previously mentioned, although it does still alert people in the area that there will be a fire truck on the road soon.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:23 AM

115 posts, read 464,122 times
I feel so sorry for the people that live near there...those are some really nice houses. I'd go crazy if I'd have to listen to that everytime a fire truck hits the road. Seems very unnecessary and inconsiderate.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:02 PM

^Sorry but I must say the fire station was there first. That's like buying a house in the flight path of an airport and then demanding that the planes take a different course. Part of buying a home is learning the area before making a final decision. Like Cary Native said, it still does warn people that a fire engine will be on the road soon and it could still alert the firefighters of a call if they don't have their pager with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary