Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 PM

57 posts, read 145,219 times

Advertisements

So here we are talking to a builder because we found a house that they built. We never really 'considered' building because it really seems like too much of a hassle. The price is right, or so it seems, I am afraid he'll say $399k and when it's all said and done I'm paying over $450K.

I am interested in hearing from those of you who have built. Did you have good experiences or would you recommend buying something already built. I am also curious as to how the whole financing/mortgage thing goes as we are currently carrying a mortgage but can't carry two. I am wondering if there is just a retainer and a contract to sign for the new house until we can sell the current one.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:04 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,696,596 times
It really depends on the builder. Who are you looking at building with?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Grayson Homes

Old 08-08-2008, 07:29 PM

261 posts, read 1,217,383 times
Default Before deciding, consider your personality type.....

Coocarooch, first of all....what is a Coocarooch?

For 18 years now I've worked with builders - custom builders, production builders, builders big and small. Since the end of 2000, new home sales is my sole focus. In this 18 year time span, I've helped nearly 1000 families with their new home buying/construction process. Over the years, I've observed that there are some personality types who just shouldn't build a house from the ground up. Its way too stressful for some folks to have to make decisions about things they are having to "see" in their heads.

Some people can totally imagine how things will look without having to physically see the item built first. For example, choosing a plan you've only seen on paper is really tough for most people. 9 times out of 10, buyers will choose the model home plan or at least a plan that is built and can be viewed by walking through it.

Even making design decisions can be stressful for some people. They know what they like when they see it, but really don't enjoy trying to put things together. For example, choosing tile and a design for a kitchen backsplash, and choosing matching cabinets and countertops sends some folks over the edge.

Other personality types want to choose every single detail and spend hours giving thought to every aspect of the house. They thrive on the process. Most of us fall somewhere in between the two extremes.

The building process can be full of surprises, both pleasant and not so pleasant. The key to a successful happy ending is to choose a builder you have researched. If the builder has a reputation for quality and customer service after closing, you will likely have a fine experience.

Remember that every home ever built, in any price range, by any builder, has had some type of error or mistake that needed to be corrected. The unexpected happens on a daily basis - after all, the house will be crafted by human beings. So whatever can happen will. The key is that the builder known for a quality finished product will always make whatever is wrong, right again with minimal fuss and bother to you the customer.

Find a builder you trust, then you will be able to contain anxieties that are bound to surface.

Good luck with your endeavor if you decide to proceed forward. Once you've built a home and had a good experience, you might never want to buy a "used" home again.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:36 PM

So can I ask a stupid question?

Who deals with the Bldgs. Department? One hassle I don't want to do is the permits etc. Done that before with my current home (not in NC) and really a headache I don't want. Does the builder usually do this or will it be left up to me?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:46 PM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coocarooch View Post
So can I ask a stupid question?

Who deals with the Bldgs. Department? One hassle I don't want to do is the permits etc. Done that before with my current home (not in NC) and really a headache I don't want. Does the builder usually do this or will it be left up to me?
Builder will handle permits.

Are you looking in downtown Cary?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 PM

No the WF Rolesville area.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
No the WF Rolesville area.
Whoops, thinking Grayson Dare.
But, the builder will handle permits and City/County inspections for you.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 PM

Thanks! Also do I need an agent for this or is going directly thru the builder the thing to do? Yes, I know, probably stupid questions.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Also do I need an agent for this or is going directly thru the builder the thing to do? Yes, I know, probably stupid questions.
Definitely not a stupid question. Just a decision to make.
Obviously, my tendency would be to say to use an agent. Your questions make me think that having someone in your corner would be a very good idea.

As far as financing goes, get hooked up with a good banker asap to answer your questions. You may hear a "No." But if that is the right answer, you need to hear it.
And you just might find your way to "Yes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary