Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:28 PM

151 posts, read 693,561 times

Advertisements

Me and my hubby are going to inter the home buying process soon and ive been checking a particular site for homes. I have been checking a few homes that I liked and showed them to DH. Well he went to google earth and long and behold one of the homes is right next to a power tower. im talking a few feet! Im going to use this tool from now one. Anyone else used it? And how the heck can they build a home so close to that? is this common in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Why use Google Earth when the MLS gives you MS Virtual Earth with the listing?

It is common to have power lines in NC, but "a few feet" is not clear.
Yes, it seems to me that some folks buy very close to power lines.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:47 AM

531 posts, read 1,983,152 times
The other tool which I found invaluable in my home search is the county GIS website, based on tax records. For instance, the link to the Durham County one is:GoMAPS - Durham County NC Public Access

Every county around here has one of these. For example, just Google: "wake county nc gis" or "orange county nc gis" etc...

From the spectacular aerial photographs, you can see all kinds of hazards such as HTPLs, interstates, etc. The lot lines are drawn in so you can see how close a house of interest is to your neighbor's. What a great resource! Saves tons of gas--no need to do drive-bys only to find out there's a power tower in your backyard.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:17 AM

42 posts, read 167,612 times
Smile Fabulous Tool!

Goat1of2... thanks so much for the GIS information. I started using it this evening and it is very helpful.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
Me and my hubby are going to inter the home buying process soon and ive been checking a particular site for homes. I have been checking a few homes that I liked and showed them to DH. Well he went to google earth and long and behold one of the homes is right next to a power tower. im talking a few feet! Im going to use this tool from now one. Anyone else used it? And how the heck can they build a home so close to that? is this common in NC?
Power lines are a bit unsightly, sure, but they do no harm. Of course, resale value might be hurt because of all those people freaked that the power lines will cause everyone in their family to get cancer. That also means that the purchase price could be lower.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Another neat search site is Windows Live. Not only can you use the satellite view but you can choose "bird's eye" view and see everything at an angle. There are arrows on the left side of the page that will rotate around the image you are viewing.

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Really? I'm not taking my chances! And they are just unsightly to look at.

wbztv.com - N. Attleboro Home Built Too Close To Power Lines (http://wbztv.com/watercooler/North.Attleboro.Home.2.584123.html - broken link)

What are the laws around here regarding how close you can build near power lines?

I just about died when I saw the powerlines going into the Ridgemont subdivision in Morrisville: gratiot drive morrisville nc - Google Maps
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Power lines are a bit unsightly, sure, but they do no harm. Of course, resale value might be hurt because of all those people freaked that the power lines will cause everyone in their family to get cancer. That also means that the purchase price could be lower.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I had clients that wanted a home that:

1. Was not in close proximatey to power lines,
2. Was not in close proximatey to any road,
3. Was not in close proximatey to the hwy,
4. Had a flat driveway,
5. Had a flat yard,
6. Had a bonus room that didn't have slanted ceilings,
7. Wasn't on a corner.

50 houses later...we found it! And they all live happily ever after (including their Agent)!!!

Vicki

Old 08-11-2008, 09:11 PM

151 posts, read 693,561 times
Thanks all for the info especially the links!
Im sorry but im so not interested in living near such a tower, I have 2 small curious kids! It should be illegal to put one up so close to a home!

Vicky,
does are my exact requirements but im flexible with #2, 6 I hope that doesnt make me an impossible & anal client

Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
Thanks all for the info especially the links!
Im sorry but im so not interested in living near such a tower, I have 2 small curious kids! It should be illegal to put one up so close to a home!

Vicky,
does are my exact requirements but im flexible with #2, 6 I hope that doesnt make me an impossible & anal client
Not too many buyers are "impossible"! Some just have smaller "wants and needs" than others. As long as my buyers don't mind looking and looking, I'll keep showing and showing until we have a winner! It is a challenge but as long as they remain somewhat sane...we'll find the happy ending!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary